PDA

View Full Version : talk about tenacious bees!!!

MikeKle
09-10-2009, 12:28 AM
I was mowing earlier in a yard that I know has a ground nest but i forgot the exact spot so I accidentally ran over it again and got attacked and stung in 12 different spots! When I realized I ran over the nest I let go of the mower and ran away swinging my arms, there was 2 bees that kept with me flying around my head,but I kept swatting at them, I had to go to the truck ( about 20 yards away from the nest!!!) and got in, those 2 bees were flying around the door waiting for me to get out!!!! I tried to get out once but had to get back in, finally after about 15 minutes they were gone and I could get back to mowing!!! I have never seen such tenacious bees, usually they quit chasing after you leave the immediate area? Im sure it was a funny sight for anyone watching me!! I am so sick of getting stung, I cant remember a year as bad as this one for ground bees!?

MS_SURVEYOR
09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Ha ha! Bumble Bees I bet! They are tenacious!!! I've had them do the very same thing. Fought 1 one for a half mile what had to be 1/2 hour, to making it to my truck with joker bumping the window wanting to in, or get me out. He just wanted me! He won! I stayed in the truck!

AmGreen
09-10-2009, 01:44 AM
can't be a 'ground bee' they're harmless(normally). are they yellow jackets? i'd remember that spot and make a trip out there in the middle of the night (letting your customer know of course) - get the spray from lowes and spray that hole in the ground. don't bill the customer for it...you'll be breaking the law - haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Bob_n_weave
09-10-2009, 01:52 AM
I've had a few close calls with the Bee's around those damn Rose of Sharon Bushes. They are always covered with Bee's ,Wasp, Yellow Jackets. I keep my distance but sometimes still get chased.

bare spot
09-10-2009, 02:08 AM
got a swarm (yellow jackets) after me last wk., manage to get away with only one sting. did feel that sting though for over 2 days though, strong bite i could remember.

MS_SURVEYOR
09-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Bumble bees are stout-bodied, robust shaped insects with black or gray hairs variously tinged with yellow, orange or red. Adults have three submarginal (closed) cells in the front wings and the hind wings lack a jugal lobe. Also, there are spurs at tips of the hind tibiae and the abdomen is usually hairy. There are three castes, ranging in size from 1/3 to 1-3/8 inches long, consisting of large overwintering queens, smaller males and much smaller workers (undeveloped females). Both the queens and workers can inflict a painful sting. Only new queens, produced and mated in the fall, overwinter in loose bark, hollow trees or other dry protected places. They come out of hibernation in May, usually nest in old nests of field mice, holes in the ground, old stumps, abandoned mattresses, old bales of straw or hay in barns, cornhusks in corncribs, along foundations, etc. Colonies are annual, lasting only one summer. There are usually less than 200 individuals in a colony and nests are generally found in open grasslands. The queen establishes the nest site by lining an existing cavity with dry grass or moss. She collects a mass of pollen and moistens this with nectar to produce a stored food called "bee bread." The first brood of spring numbers 5 to 20, all workers, who enlarge the nest, gather food and feed the larvae. The queen continues to lay eggs throughout the summer and by late summer, reproductive males and females are produced. These mate during flight and fertilized females move to overwintering sites. Remaining males and workers in the colony die with frost or the first hard freeze. Nests can be detected by the presence of many males flying about the entrance. Stinging workers, sometimes called "dive bombers," can respond quickly when their territory is invaded. Easily irritated, workers will aggressively pursue an intruder attempting to escape. Bumble bees are extremely important pollinators of certain kinds of clover such as red clover due to their long tongues. Favored flowers are sunflowers, thistles, nettles, roses, partridge peas and certain clovers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/BumbleBee.JPG

http://knoxtnusa.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yellow-jacket1.jpg

puppypaws
09-10-2009, 02:42 AM
can't be a 'ground bee' they're harmless(normally). are they yellow jackets? i'd remember that spot and make a trip out there in the middle of the night (letting your customer know of course) - get the spray from lowes and spray that hole in the ground. don't bill the customer for it...you'll be breaking the law - haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Whoever gave you that information misinformed you my friend, black and yellow bumble bees nest in the ground and will tear your head off. There are 250 species of bees and most do nest in the ground.

QUOTE:

Life of the Colony
The bumble-bee nest consists of a spherical chamber with a single exit. The queen chooses a preexisting cavity, such as an abandoned mouse nest, in which to begin her family. Most species nest in the ground.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Bumblebee_3_EHM.jpg/180px-Bumblebee_3_EHM.jpg

bare spot
09-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Whoever gave you that information misinformed you my friend, black and yellow bumble bees nest in the ground and will tear your head off. There are 250 species of bees and most do nest in the ground.

QUOTE:

Life of the Colony
The bumble-bee nest consists of a spherical chamber with a single exit. The queen chooses a preexisting cavity, such as an abandoned mouse nest, in which to begin her family. Most species nest in the ground.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Bumblebee_3_EHM.jpg/180px-Bumblebee_3_EHM.jpg
bumble bees nest in the ground, (ran over them earlier this yr:)), think there is something that resembles them, reading cicada or something if i remeber right.

puppypaws
09-10-2009, 08:29 AM
bumble bees nest in the ground, (ran over them earlier this yr:)), think there is something that resembles them, reading cicada or something if i remeber right.

You are thinking about the "Cicada Killer Wasp," which are very large and dangerous looking, and do nest in the ground. The good thing is they are not aggressive towards people.

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/images/cicada_killer_wasp-rule.jpeg

Alpha Property
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
i havnt been stung yet, but we keep sucking them up with the baggers and then have swarms in the back of the truck and trying to attack the mowers when there back on the trailer

GravelyNut
09-10-2009, 09:16 AM
See, that's one of the problems with the newer mowers. In the old days, you could just leave the mower running over the nest and it would take care of them for you. Mower disturbs critters. Critters fly up. Mower blade clobbers them. By the time the tank is empty, so is the nest. :D

Mowbizz
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I have been stung 5 times in the last week...I mowed around one of those trees with the big white "flower balls" and my ROPS hit the tree...damn...they were on me like a bulldog on a gut wagon...got hit on the side the belly and the back...another time I was just driving along in my truck and one went up my sleeve...yikes!! another hit on the arm and belly...that was a yellow jacket...the first ones were honey bees...

STIHL GUY
09-11-2009, 12:42 AM
one of my accounts has one of those trees with little pears that drop all over the place. after driving the mower through these the tires were pretty well caked with rotten pear. when i got to the next lawn and went to unload the trailer, there were bees swarming around the mower tires

dreich3075
09-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I was always wondering but havent had a chance to try it yet. If you put a rock on the seat to keep the machine running, leave it right over the hole, will it kill the bees?

dKoester
09-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Those killer cicada wasp rarely sting. Bumblebees make a small nest, They even make boxes for these great polinators, I pet these all the time(causiously). Yellowjackets, stay the heck away from them.

ox6603
09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
You are thinking about the "Cicada Killer Wasp," which are very large and dangerous looking, and do nest in the ground. The good thing is they are not aggressive towards people.

i'm aggressive towards them. My dad's house always had a bunch of them and my brother and I would clobber them with tennis rackets and wiffle ball bats... Good times
Posted via Mobile Device

DaddyRabbit
09-12-2009, 10:49 PM
:laugh::laugh: Those smaller than life insects sure can bring the biggest man down a size in a hurry can't they?

When I realized I ran over the nest I let go of the mower and ran away swinging my arms

DaddyRabbit
09-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I got stung by 2 of these on the ole dome a few weeks ago and I have NEVER hurt from a sting like that. I tapped out.

[I]

http://knoxtnusa.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/yellow-jacket1.jpg

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM

I had one of those flying around me out at the property where I keep my trailer...the thing was HUGE. That is one wasp I would not want to be stung by.

MikeKle
09-12-2009, 11:56 PM
I too thought about just parking the mower over their nest with the blades turning, thinking any bees that tried to come out would get sucked into the blades, but I found out its not the ones in the nest you have to worry about, its the ones that fly around outside patroling the perimeter. The ones I always encounter is the bright yellow ones in the above pics. I thought they were just regular bees but I found out they are some type of hornet. The stingers hurt like hell and were still bothering me the next morning! Now whenever I feel something on my lower legs I start freaking out! but its usually just a piece of grass or a harmless bug!!!

FastMan
09-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Must I describe my bee holocaust procedure again?

puppypaws
09-13-2009, 08:29 AM
i'm aggressive towards them. My dad's house always had a bunch of them and my brother and I would clobber them with tennis rackets and wiffle ball bats... Good times
Posted via Mobile Device

The carpenter bee is the one people normally practice their tennis swing on.

They chew a hole in wood and lay their off-spring and are not aggressive towards people, but are very curious. It will fly up to a person and hover a few feet in front, this scares people that do not know what type bee it is.

QUOTE:

When female carpenter bees construct tunnels in solid wood, their chewing of the wood can be heard from several feet away. Piles of sawdust beside the nest entrance and the presence of many bees in flight in the area provide clues that a nest is near. Brood cells (compartments for offspring) are constructed in the tunnels. The cells are separated by partitions made from sawdust or wood chips cemented together with saliva.

http://fireflyforest.net/images/firefly/2005/October/Carpenter-Bee.jpg

John deer Z
09-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

These are also called European Hornets. They will sting and are very potent
venom. 4 of these bad boys can kill a squirrel saw it on National geographic.
They usually nest in trees or corners of window seals. Don't mess with these boys! On the yellow jackets I have got rid of several nest this year. You need to wait till it is dark about a hour after dark go and pour a cup of gas down the hole but do not light it. the gasoline will do the work. Next day no yellow Jackets. Have do this for many years always works.

puppypaws
09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=puppypaws;3185275]The carpenter bee is the one people normally practice their tennis swing on.

They chew a hole in wood and lay their off-spring and are not aggressive towards people, but are very curious. It will fly up to a person and hover a few feet in front, this scares people that do not know what type bee it is.

QUOTE:

When female carpenter bees construct tunnels in solid wood, their chewing of the wood can be heard from several feet away. Piles of sawdust beside the nest entrance and the presence of many bees in flight in the area provide clues that a nest is near. Brood cells (compartments for offspring) are constructed in the tunnels. The cells are separated by partitions made from sawdust or wood chips cemented together with saliva.

I don't what happened to the picture, it came up on preview post, lets try again.

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t014/T014355A.jsm

bare spot
09-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Those killer cicada wasp rarely sting. Bumblebees make a small nest, They even make boxes for these great polinators, I pet these all the time(causiously). Yellowjackets, stay the heck away from them.
boxes for bumblebees, gotta check that out, or maybe it's the same boxes used for honey bee's. did read they are great polinators, think one of the most efficient.

ALC-GregH
09-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Seven Dust will knock out a nest in the ground. It will also take care of tics, fleas and I think 75 other types of insects.