PDA

View Full Version : Why is this toro oil thing so cheap?

THC
09-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Expensive mower but I've had problems with this thing. Today, I changed the oil and turned it off. I went to fill it up and the oil just kept pouring out. I tied to tighten it etc then it came right off in my hand. I snapped it back on and it finally tightened so that oil doesn't leak but now I'm thinking of it and will have to keep checking on it. I don't trust this plastic crap at at. $4000 mower and they put a plastic twist cap on the oil.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Northern_Lawns/IMG00017.jpg

topsites
09-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Wow thanks for letting me in on that!!!

I could have figured the quality hadn't gone up any, just the price...
But that it would go downhill, no, I have to admit, that hadn't crossed my mind.

THC
09-10-2009, 03:30 AM
You stick a half inch plastic tube on the end to drain the oil. Then you you push it in and twist and it pops open. It works like a tail light in your truck kindof, you know push it in and twist and it hooks. I swear, if you push this cheap plastic thing into a bush while mowing, it could let all your oil out and then you're fubared.

The whole thing came off in my fricken hand:laugh:

Cheap plastic $4000 crap

Richard Martin
09-10-2009, 05:19 AM
It's a Kawasaki right?

Just replace it with the metal valve from Kawasaki.

161267003 Valve
590717004 Joint
670D2016 O Ring

delphied
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Never had a problem with either of mine.

THC
09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
A simple half twist and your oil could drain out while mowing.

metro36
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
My dads exmark has the same pos plastic drain. It actually wore out and now I cant open it so I just use my oil extractor and dont mess with the drains.

topsites
09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
It's just sick thou...

Instead of improving the machine by say fixing certain long-term issues?
They add several cheap $5 gimmicks and gadgets, and raise the price a whole $700...
It ain't like the stupid thing has to do anything but cut grass, oh but like this will make it better...
Yeah right...

How do I know, I own two of these and bought the last one 5 years ago for 3 thousand.
Now this lawn mower has some specific manufacturing issues, things such as this that can
and will result in not only failure but in the case I'm speaking of?
REQUIRE you buy a whole new mower!
Or at the very least a VERY expensive component such as a 'deck assembly' (think $900).

Because there are certain little parts on this machine that once they wear out, these parts
are such an integral part of certain frame / deck components they can NOT be replaced.
Not only are they either casted this way or welded on, but even if I wanted to replace the part, I can't because they don't carry it!
The parts manual doesn't list it, the dealer has the same parts manual, it shows the part but there's no number referencing it.

Issues like these have been present for at least 12 years!
Did they fix any of that?
NO!

That's what makes me so mad.
It's like the funny guys sitting on their leather chairs near the top floor of the executive department
think of these little engineering tricks all day, say Joe how can we make this mower *%&^ up so that
it will always be a revenue stream for us.
Well Bill, you know the old trick of sticking a nail in the tire won't work.
No, no, we'll have to think of something better.

Golly :dizzy:

yplllc
09-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Has anyone had problems with the fuel pumps on toros? They keep basically dry rotting on me, just dry out and crack. and they are $50 a piece

topsites
09-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Has anyone had problems with the fuel pumps on toros? They keep basically dry rotting on me, just dry out and crack. and they are $50 a piece

No, but you MIGHT be able to pull it apart and find the piece that's dry rotting...
Now get a load of this because it's going to cost you TIME...

EVERY manufacturer outsources a LOT of their parts and what have you.
In most cases we assume the manufacturer makes the machine, right?
They make as much of it as they can, but just for example Toro doesn't make the engine, nor the transmission.
Who knows what they actually make, the belts, the pulleys, the tires?

Likely someone else makes that fuel pump as well.
And if Toro made the pump, maybe they got the parts for it elsewhere.
Fine chance, I'm telling you.

And you might be surprised, stupid little 50 cent gasket or what have you fixes it every time.
The hard part is you have to do all the work, think lots of googling, find that little POS.

It can be well worth it to save yourself that $50 several times over, even if it costs you several hours of research and a headache.
Then you can rebuild your own fuel pumps, cost you time now.
But I've done it, more than a few times.
Just as one example, I make my own spark plug wires.

One option anyhow.

mowerbrad
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
The better caps come on the $5000 mowers:laugh:

yplllc
09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I wish it was that easy, the part that keeps dry rotting is the outside and the nipples that my fuel lines connect to. Dont get me wrong this is not breaking monthly or anything, but once a season on each lawnmower.

THC
09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
It's like the funny guys sitting on their leather chairs near the top floor of the executive department
think of these little engineering tricks all day, say Joe how can we make this mower *%&^ up so that
it will always be a revenue stream for us.
Well Bill, you know the old trick of sticking a nail in the tire won't work.
No, no, we'll have to think of something better.

Golly :dizzy:

Some guys don't even try to put gimmicks on. Take a look at this tube I had to put on my power raker so that when I drain the oil it doesn't pour all over my deck. this is a briggs engine on a bluebird power rake. $1700 and I still can't drain oil unless I go to home depot and buy a brass tube with a cap. I leave it on there to make oil changing doable.

I'm not sure what all that hair is there, it's in storage next to my lawn Vac so I don't know... rats nest?

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Northern_Lawns/IMG00021.jpg

Richard Martin
09-11-2009, 05:46 AM

If the gas tank is higher than the carb just bypass the pump altogether. Been there, done that. Or you could always buy an aftermarket electric pump and put it on there. Like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-42S/