PDA

View Full Version : Another Exmark Metro 26 Thread

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-10-2009, 01:49 AM
I would like some more opinions on this mower.
I know of all the bad things have been said about this mower, however it seems like most were located far south, or west.
I got a steal on a used one and wanted to give it a try.
Has anyone mowed any cool season grass with a 26 metro?
Are there things that can be done to correct the things not liked?
How many of you have had good luck with them and how many of you feel it has a fair to good cut quality.
I figured what the heck and give it a try as it in an ideal situation should be perfect for what I bought it for and will use it for.
I only mowed about 4 or 5 passes with it today before I bought it and it did pretty good considering the bag is off and there was no mulch plug in the chute just the heavy steel flap door. It cut and actually put down some stripes!
I will most likely order a new bag and the mulch kit for it.
Thanks

clinicalengineer
09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I purchased one this year and absolutely love the mower. I cut cool climate grasses, and it does put down some nice stripes in them. I bag all of my yards, so i cant vouch for mulching with it. The cut quality is just as good as my JD jx75. I'll try to get a couple pictures of a yard I cut with it.

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-10-2009, 09:30 AM
cool, thanks that would be awesome!

lyonsroar
09-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I bought one new in 2008 for residential use. I had it into the shop for repairs 4 times during that time (for relatively minor stuff but annoying considering it was a new EXPENSIVE mower). I wouldnt bother buying the mulching kit. Mine mulched better the way you were doing it (just removing the bag). Using the mulch kit left a line of grass behind the left wheel when mowing which was unsightly, especially if you're doing commercial jobs. I did like how it handled on hills and it did a fine job of bagging. In the end, I traded it for a Metro 21" and am much happier with that rig......

jahbp
09-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I had one for 2 years the front wheels wobble, 4 drive belts ,2 broken handles dose not mulch, my dealer dose not even sell them any more it is a piece of crap I was ripped off for $1400

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
wow, sorry about your experience. I find it hard to believe they all were that bad? maybe so. I hope this one is a good mower. I just have it to take the place of a 21 where I really dont use that much.

clinicalengineer
09-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Here are some pictures from my adventures cutting today with my metro26

tallimeca
09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
1st year they had about 4 or 5 updates. Problem is some of the inventory carried of to the next year and lazy dealers weren't updated the machine before they were sold. Exmark called all machines back to be fixed. Some dealers didn't do anything when they came in, some users never brought them back.

We have sold a ton and have had no issues. They even recently upgraded the deck drive belt because people can't understand why they destory them, trying to engage a 26" blade in a foot of grass!!!

2Ts UT
09-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I was looking at getting one at the beginning of the season.. my dealer said stay away. That is all the experience I have with them. It would be nice to have something in between a 21 and 36,34 or 32. It seems like there is a pretty good market for it.

lyonsroar
09-13-2009, 04:17 PM
My dealer, who admits to selling a ton of them, said that they continue to have issues with them. Neither my dealer or Exmark gave me much of a hassle when I traded it in for a 21" after almost two seasons of use.....

mowerbrad
09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm waiting for my 20 year old deere 21" to crap out and then plan on getting a metro 21. I have been thinking that I would do the metro 26 but with so many conflicting experiences, I feel the metro 21 is better suited for me and gets great reviews.

jkilov
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I can't recall anyone making a worthy 26". Snapper, Exmark, Yazoo, Murray all gave it a shot.

Reports were nearly identical: runs sluggish, can't mulch, stalls on hills, heavy, needs manhandling, unreliable... etc

There currently is no engine in production to suit a 26", closest would be the 5.1hp GSV190 from honda.

W.L.M.
09-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I can't recall anyone making a worthy 26". Snapper, Exmark, Yazoo, Murray all gave it a shot.

Reports were nearly identical: runs sluggish, can't mulch, stalls on hills, heavy, needs manhandling, unreliable... etc

There currently is no engine in production to suit a 26", closest would be the 5.1hp GSV190 from honda.

I don't think that engine would cut it, I have the gsv 190 on my 21 and it bogs in high grass and/or hills a mower with more cut and more weight would kill it.

Hovey's Lawn Care
09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the pics! They look good! Today I got to use it and it didnt do bad at all. My shoulder is a little sore maybe from the extra manhandling of the beast and not being used to it. lol. Maybe they should put a reverse finger trigger on it, maybe make it a small hydro for all the money they get on this mower!

clinicalengineer
09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I had the chance to use it and a 36" hydro the one day on some of my gated accounts. I was quicker with the 26" because i could throw it around faster than manuvering the 36". I my arms are already familiar with the additional weight, it doesn't bother me anymore. I acutally feel like im pushing a toy when i use my jx75 :laugh:.

lyonsroar
09-14-2009, 11:18 AM
If it did not have the reliability issues, the 26 would be a great option. It did cut mowing time significantly compared to the 21. It is a beast weight wise and when you switch back to the 21, talk about pushing a toy.... I would say if you can get a great deal on a used 26 and are good at fixing belts and cables, then get one, especially if you plan on bagging...

jkilov
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think that engine would cut it, I have the gsv 190 on my 21 and it bogs in high grass and/or hills a mower with more cut and more weight would kill it.

Well that settles it then. Until someone comes up with a 230cc motor these 26" units are practically meaningless. Heck even most 21" are underpowered, specially when mulching.

johnnybravo8802
09-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Yea, I was considering a 26 Metro and may still get one. I have a yard that takes 1.5 hrs. to mow and I am going to have to do better than a 21". I have the SR4 and am not crazy for it. It doesn't want to pull that well and bogs a lot. I need more mower but I can't go up to a WB. The 26 seemed like the obvious choice.

lawnkingforever
09-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I have 10 yards I do in one develpment, with 4 gated back yards. I was sick of using a 21" for these, so I bought one of those 33" Craftsman/ Cub Cadet mowers for those yards. I have had it for over 2 years with no problems except for a cable. Now keep in mind I am the only one using it and I sharpen the blades weekly. My buddy who has 3 employees, wanted to buy one for his business. I told him not to bother because his employees beat the hell out of his equipment. It is nice to have a bigger mower on the trailer with quick height adjustment and can be converted to mulching quickly in a pinch. I can also ramp it easily on the back of my pickup if I just have to go out to do a yard or 2.