PDA

View Full Version : Too big of a trailer for a newb?

buffalonick
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Il be brand new in spring 2010 and have been looking for a nice trailer. I was looking into getting a 10 or 12 foot maybe even a 14 foot trailer but i just found a flat bed trailer with pressure treated floors that has no sides or ramp. It is a 16 foot trailer that is single axel. The guy used it for his atvs. He is only asking $200 for it. I figure i can buy it and add the sides and a ramp and not spend too much money. Any help on building the sides please look here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289378
My real question is is a 16 foot to big. I just cant see myself filling that trailer up. I will be running 2 stihl trimmers, one kombi with attachments, a backpack blower, and a handheld, a walkbehind mower and a small push mower. I will also prob add a tool box to the trailer. Too big? what are your thoughts?

nnj18
09-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Post pictures of the trailer. Cheap isn't always the way to go. I think a 14' tandem would be perfect for you. IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

buffalonick
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Im leaving right now to look at it. And to measure it because of the way the wheels are. it wont let me post the picture because it says that they are already posted so look here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289378

GraZHopA
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
From your description commercialy manufactured trailers 14' and longer have tandem axles. I personally would watchout for this one, as I don't think it is what you are looking for. As nnj18 said "Cheap isn't always the way to go". In answer to your question NO a 16' is not too big. I don't think you can have a trailer too big.

Popslawncare
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree with abouve, I run a 18 foot open and a 20 enclosed both are tandems. They really fill up too fast and wish sometime's they would be bigger!

Kennedy Landscaping
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I got a 14 and its a single axle. Got it for 1,500 and I love it! I wouldn't purchase a 16 single if I were you.

TreeClimber57
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
From your description commercialy manufactured trailers 14' and longer have tandem axles. I personally would watchout for this one, as I don't think it is what you are looking for. As nnj18 said "Cheap isn't always the way to go". In answer to your question NO a 16' is not too big. I don't think you can have a trailer too big.

You can get 14' as either single or tandem axle. Anything above 14' is tandem from what I am told. Below 14'.. you can order tandem for shorter but most are likely single.

I have one 14' single axle commercially manufactured.

Richard Martin
09-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Most likely that utility trailer used to be a popup camper. The bed on that trailer is probably only 13 feet or less. When RV trailers are measured they measure the whole trailer, tongue and rear bumper included. With utility trailers they only measure the bed where-as a 16 foot utility trailer is actually 19+ foot long.

kj330
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
16 single now way. more problems than its worth

mowerbrad
09-10-2009, 05:04 PM
16 foot is a great trailer size, especially in your first couple years. That size allows you to grow into it so you don't have to upgrade so quickly. However, I wouldn't even consider that trailer since it is only a single axle, you could overload it way too easy. I'd pass on this trailer and just keep your eyes open for others, there is plenty of time.

MnDLawn
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
16 single now way. more problems than its worth

^^^Ditto^^^

DRBLawnBuster
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM
THat is a old pop-up camper that some one tore apart and made it into a trailer. I did the same thing look at my link its in my sig. The trailer you will see in there is a 14 footer though,yet for me it works great.

93Chevy
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I bought a used 16' for $500. So far, I've put about a grand into it any my truck. It's a 7500 GVW tandem axle. It's ugly and needs more work, but I got it for a steal.

I'm of the opinion that you can never have too much trailer.

Ramairfreak98ss
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
well we have a 16' flat deck, holds 10k, way too small and stiff, needs heavy weight and of course just too small for anything large and heavy.

we have a 18' landscape, that suckers too small for half our stuff but i have had the new deere 4720 tractor up on it without a bucket... im sure 1-2k overweight but it moved it once lol

the 24' trailer is maxed out for a while now. its a very tight squeeze getting the 36" , 48" , 61" and 72" in there but it works.

I might look into a lighter duty 10k 28' enclosed in a year or two just so i can use this one for heavier landscape chores since it has a 12k capacity and oversized tires for 14k ratings.

JCPM
09-10-2009, 09:08 PM
16ft tandem axle is pretty much the standard for newbies around here. Smaller trailers will get you started but to carry; say 1 walkbehind, 1 ztr(eventually I'm sure for you), all of your handheld equipment, blowers, etc...A 16ft will fill up real fast but atleast won't break the bank for a newbie.

I started with a 16ft and had it filled after 3 years in business. I made it work for another 3 years but finally broke down and bought a 24ft enclosed last year. And guess what, it's filled to the max.

SLMGT
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
You will not know about this particular trailer unti you lay eyes on it. Don't buy a piece of junk or you will be frustrated and end up junking it. As far as size, I'm not sure you can buy too big. We run 16' trailers and they are full. I have seen large crews with 20'+ trailers.

buffalonick
09-11-2009, 12:00 AM
All of you are right, i took my measuring tape and took a good look at it. On the phone he said HE "made" the trailer himself. I walk up and look at it and it is deffinatly a pop up. Why? Cuz the pop out step on the side was still attached!!!! so i said that he didnt make it and of course he denied it. It was pretty rusted and had a untreated plywood deck. It was no bigger than 13 feet long. And the Lights were broken. I just need to save and get a nice 16 foot I measures 16 feet out and its not as huge as i thought. I really dont wanna go over $1000 or so but may have too. At least i got till spring.

unkownfl
09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
16ft is large what kind of equipment do you need to haul around? Its a lot in gas to tow that sucker around to do residential never mind a pia to park between driveways.

buffalonick
09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Thats one of my biggest thoughts!! Where will i park this. And once i upgrade to a f-250 how much gas will be used to haul a 16 footer. I want to eventually haul a Zero turn, a Walk Behind, a push mower, two trimmers, a back pack blower, a hand held blower, and have a nice size box on there big enough to carry a couple 5 gal gas containers and a one gal one and a tool box/ random stuff. Wow after writing all that.....its alot. I will need a big trailer. :confused:

unkownfl
09-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I have a 6x12 haulmark enclosed trailer. I have a toro 48 z400, 36 lesco hydro w/b, w/b mclane edger, two hedge trimmers, two stick edgers, two string trimmers, two b/p blowers tools blades gas oil etc with no problem. If you go open you can have racks on both sides and the front could have a box across the top for two blowers. Down here we don't have much between drive ways so I had to stop using my crew cab power stroke and now use a reg cab f150. I was getting about 15 mpg in the power stroke towing around city.

Richard Martin
09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
buffalonick, I used a 12 footer to haul my equipment around for about 6 years. I at one time had 2 60" Dixie Chopper ZTRs on that trailer. For a solo grass cutter a 12 footer is fine.

buffalonick
10-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Iv been searching for some end of the season sales on here, the local papers and craigslist i think i may have found something. It is an utility trailer, it says 8x12 but i dont think it is 8 ft wide. Do they make those? Anyways it looks like what i have been looking for. Looks solid and in good condition he is asking $600 which i think is fare.

Tennesseepowerstroke
10-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Iv been searching for some end of the season sales on here, the local papers and craigslist i think i may have found something. It is an utility trailer, it says 8x12 but i dont think it is 8 ft wide. Do they make those? Anyways it looks like what i have been looking for. Looks solid and in good condition he is asking $600 which i think is fare.

The price looks good on that trailer. However, I would weigh it before purchasing. It appears to have a lot of extra channel iron on it, which can be good, unless you want to load more than 1 large zero turn on it. Adding a 36" walk behind to a zero turn will probably put you over the load limit. The axle is probably a 3500# axle but in the state of Tennessee, if you put a commercial tag on it, the trailer gvwr will be downgraded to 2990# with a single axle. I would guess that trailer to weigh about 1100# which would leave you with a payload of 1890#. This could be okay for your application, but you need to know what you will be loading on it.

Richard Martin
10-18-2009, 04:31 AM
it says 8x12 but i dont think it is 8 ft wide. Do they make those?

102" is the maximum allowed without Wide Load equipment and permits. That's 102" maximum width of the trailer including the tires. If his bed is 8 feet (96") you have to add a minimum of 10 inches for each tire and that puts you at 116".

timberbrook
10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Iv been searching for some end of the season sales on here, the local papers and craigslist i think i may have found something. It is an utility trailer, it says 8x12 but i don't think it is 8 ft wide. Do they make those? Anyways it looks like what i have been looking for. Looks solid and in good condition he is asking $600 which i think is fare.

I am guessing by looking at it that it is not 8x12. It is probably 6 or 6.5 7x12. Is it tube or angle iron construction? 600 is a good price for an angle iron trailer. A ramp gate alone can be $300 after labor and materials. If it is tube construction you had better buy it ASAP, a real steal. If it needs new decking so what. Pine decking is cheap. With the proper racks and boxes a 12 foot trailer is perfect for the solo operator. You will want to mount a spare rim and tire somewhere other than the deck of the trailer too since you do not have tandem axles.

DT Lawn Care
10-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Not a 8 footer, but looks like a good deal. He may be measuring from wheel-well to wheel-well. Like our 6.5 x 12 is supposed to be 6.5, but it's only 6'3" (6.5' from outside of channel irons).

The trailer I am looking to get is a either a 7x14 or 7x16 (7' on the insides). I have 2 WBs, 3 21"s, a blower, and my trimmer rack all on my 6.5x12 right now, it's tight, and seems like a lot of weight on one axle.

topsites
10-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah, save your money, attaching sides and a ramp is no easy task, you
almost have to know how to weld (not to mention needing the equipment)
and neither the wood nor the steel you'll need for it are anywhere near cheap.

By the time you're done paying for all the materials, you'll spend days working on it...

Remember, this is one piece of equipment that's going to be with you for 10-15 years...
Don't buy some BS now you have to replace soon later.

I bought a new 6x12x2 single axle my first year, a $1,500 Carson trailer, it hurt at the time but
it's very nice and I have it 8 years later, also I have never really wanted anything bigger.

Peace out

buffalonick
11-03-2009, 01:26 PM
So i have been searching and searching for trailers and everyone i find is far away and a buyer has gotten there before i could. I feel like i just should buy a new one the max i wanna spend on one is $1200 but really wanna stay around $900 or so for a used. It is just getting so annoying. The best thing i can find lately is a BigTex 10 footer for $8000 Uh this is so frustrating.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Yep single axle 16' ft no good. That could almost be dangerous.
Just starting out, get a 10-12 ft trailer. I have a simple 5x8 and it is enough for what I do. Plan on hauling around a 48" Z and don't anticipate any problems doing so.

You should be able to get a new 10' trailer, 3500 lb axle, for $1,500 or under. $8K sounds WAY high.

buffalonick
11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Oops sorry I meant that he is asking $800 for the trailer not $8000
Posted via Mobile Device