PDA

View Full Version : Scag Wildcat Pricing

crhoades68
09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm a newer lawn care business owner and have been using used equipment. I'm ready to make my first new major purchase (ztr) and am looking primarily at the Scag Wildcat with a 52" deck and 26 HP Kawi liquid-cooled engine with striping kit. I would like to know what others have paid and/or if you believe another ztr (that stripes) is of equal or better value. I've enjoyed reading many posts and hope to be able to contribute in the near future.

Thanks for your help!

GraZHopA
09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Scag makes a good ZTR. I don't know anything about the Scag Wildcat, we run the Scag 61" Turf Tiger and it is a tank. My second choice would probably be a Grasshopper, we previously owned a 61" model 225 and it was a good mower for it's intended purpose. I can't give you a price for a new Scag, but I'm sure it is not cheap. Here is a website with some prices to compare with the ones that you get quoted. (http://actionmowerinc.com/eq3.html) Be advised that the webpage looks like it has not been updated since 2006.

GraZHopA
09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
If you are close to this dealer you should check them out. Link (http://www.pacelink.com/scag-clearance.htm)

JShe8918
09-10-2009, 10:18 PM
i priced that mower this year. it was 8800 for the kawi 26LC and 350 for the striper kit

Johnagain
09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I just demo'd one this past weekend and cut about 10 acres total. I wouldn't buy the L/C engine because the radiator sucks up dry cut grass like crazy. Dealer told me it's worse with leaves. I was mowing a 5 acre pasture and had to double cut because it had been 6 weeks since it was cut nad the temp gauge starting going up and the whole screen was covered with grass. I shut mower off and clean be the radiator was pretty well clogged also. I finished with no problems but had to blow out radiator when I got home. Other than that problem I loved the mower and scag will be the next mower I purchase, just not liquid cooled. Priced of that mower was $9899.00 new I might be able to get it less because it's a demo and will be coming up forsale in the next couple of weeks.

crhoades68
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much for the pricing information! Pricing seems to be all over the board and I wanted a better idea when I get into negotiations.

I've now heard about /radiator screen and air filter issues in several different threads with the Liquid Cooled Kawi engines. Has this been a problem for everyone or just for recent model engines?

retrodog
09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I was priced $10800 when I was looking 3 years ago. I saw the Bad Boy 52" 26hp lc kawasaki priced at $7695 and $249 for a striping kit and went for it. I have never looked back, saved a bundle, ended up becoming a dealer for them....lol. The suspension is awesome, and not to mention the Michigan seat standard. I would recommend the extra foot assist option ($179 if ordered), as the auto deck lift is a little slow for most commercial cutters, and its nice to have the added speed. Noticed the BB had a stouter deck, and was easier to work on with a more simplistic design.

crhoades68
09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
When looking at the Bad Boy website I did not see a striping kit. How and where is it installed.

Also, do you have any issues with debris on the radiator or air filter screens?

Mike Blevins
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
To answer your question, and not hijack your thread with Badboy half truths. You should be able to get a 52" 25 air cooled Wildcat for around $8499.00. Maybe a bit more less as some dealers are wanting to move some machines before the winter months. What retro won't tell you is with the Scag your getting foldable ROPS,flat free front tires, deck foot assist, a helluva better warranty,Adjustable handles,and an adjustable front baffle on the cutter deck for different cutting conditions,and local dealer support (which means everything)and alot better resale value, Standard on the Scag verses not getting any of it on the Badboy. In my opinion and it just that "my opinion" you looking at the mower you should be looking at in the Scag. I owned a 52" Wildcat and loved it. Very Very nice machine. Great for every type of mowing. I put over 600 hours on mine and the only thing I did to it was replace a belt. Scag quality simply the best! :usflag::usflag::waving:

Kykutter
09-12-2009, 01:27 AM
10,800 for a Wildcat 3 years ago?? No freaking way. Maybe a Turf Tiger.

I am picking up a new Wildcat 61in. 26lc Kawi. in the morning for $8500 tax and all. I buy in the fall or near the end of the season because that seems to be the best time to get a deal.
Replacing a Wildcat with 1800 hrs. in 3 years use, idler bearing replaced about 2 months ago is the only problem other than wear and tear items.
Since you deal in BB`s what is a 60 in. Lightning selling for now, and don`t quote dealer price.

retrodog
09-12-2009, 02:51 AM
10,800 for a Wildcat 3 years ago?? No freaking way. Maybe a Turf Tiger.

I am picking up a new Wildcat 61in. 26lc Kawi. in the morning for $8500 tax and all. I buy in the fall or near the end of the season because that seems to be the best time to get a deal.
Replacing a Wildcat with 1800 hrs. in 3 years use, idler bearing replaced about 2 months ago is the only problem other than wear and tear items.
Since you deal in BB`s what is a 60 in. Lightning selling for now, and don`t quote dealer price.

$7995, and yes my scag guy here was high I guess, make sure you check the manufacture day on the mower before you purchase it. I don't know what you mean by dealer price, that is what is sells for, it is posted everywhere. My mind cannot comprehend how one Scag dealer sells their mower for $10500 when the one down the street sells theirs for $8500, I don't see how the company would allow that. That has to be a unit that the dealers floorplan is charging him interest, and he is taking a major loss just to get it off. There isn't that much markup in lawn mowers, especially not more than $2000 on a $10000 mower. I wanted the Michigan seat, and a couple of other options. Most of the guys around here pay $10000 for the WC. It retails for $10399 I believe with the 26hp lc engine. And to answer Mike, the BB has a push button deck lift, and the $179 foot assist is just an addition to that lift. If you want Rops (which most people that is the first thing people take off, Yeah you will need to add $499 to the price). You want better than the 2 year warranty, pay for a 5 year warranty through fail safe for 9.25% which would be $700. Lets say you get the BB for $7695 (full retail). Add the foot assist $179, 5 year warranty $700, and Rops $499 (if you have to have it). You are at $9073, and are still more than $1200 cheaper than the Wildcat. Oh, I forgot Mike, add the no flats for $79 each (I wouldn't recommend to anyone, I took mine off and threw them away), and the handles are adjustable. We also have adjustable air baffles on our 72" decks, they haven't found a use for them on smaller decks yet. I will be honest with you up front, after knowing what I know now, I would have paid more to have suspension on my mower (not before using suspension). As the owner of an LCO I have a few days that catch me out over 10 hours actually riding on a mower. There is no way I will ever own a mower without full suspension and the michigan seat or better. We mow a 53 acre property, and yes I have been caught out there mowing it by myself on some occasions. The people on here saying they bought the wildcat for $8499 with the lc kawasaki had to be best friends with the dealer, be buying a demo or aged unit, or had some kind of trade in they forgot about. Expect to pay $10000. Half truths, I have a 52" 26hp LC Kawasaki BB that flipped down the highway at 70mph that has 630 hours. I replaced 2 roller bearings, 2 deck bearings, a deck belt, and adjusted my handles once...thats it.

Mike Blevins
09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
$7995, and yes my scag guy here was high I guess, make sure you check the manufacture day on the mower before you purchase it. I don't know what you mean by dealer price, that is what is sells for, it is posted everywhere. My mind cannot comprehend how one Scag dealer sells their mower for $10500 when the one down the street sells theirs for $8500, I don't see how the company would allow that. That has to be a unit that the dealers floorplan is charging him interest, and he is taking a major loss just to get it off. There isn't that much markup in lawn mowers, especially not more than $2000 on a $10000 mower. I wanted the Michigan seat, and a couple of other options. Most of the guys around here pay $10000 for the WC. It retails for $10399 I believe with the 26hp lc engine. And to answer Mike, the BB has a push button deck lift, and the $179 foot assist is just an addition to that lift. If you want Rops (which most people that is the first thing people take off, Yeah you will need to add $499 to the price). You want better than the 2 year warranty, pay for a 5 year warranty through fail safe for 9.25% which would be $700. Lets say you get the BB for $7695 (full retail). Add the foot assist $179, 5 year warranty $700, and Rops $499 (if you have to have it). You are at $9073, and are still more than $1200 cheaper than the Wildcat. Oh, I forgot Mike, add the no flats for $79 each (I wouldn't recommend to anyone, I took mine off and threw them away), and the handles are adjustable. We also have adjustable air baffles on our 72" decks, they haven't found a use for them on smaller decks yet. I will be honest with you up front, after knowing what I know now, I would have paid more to have suspension on my mower (not before using suspension). As the owner of an LCO I have a few days that catch me out over 10 hours actually riding on a mower. There is no way I will ever own a mower without full suspension and the michigan seat or better. We mow a 53 acre property, and yes I have been caught out there mowing it by myself on some occasions. The people on here saying they bought the wildcat for $8499 with the lc kawasaki had to be best friends with the dealer, be buying a demo or aged unit, or had some kind of trade in they forgot about. Expect to pay $10000. Half truths, I have a 52" 26hp LC Kawasaki BB that flipped down the highway at 70mph that has 630 hours. I replaced 2 roller bearings, 2 deck bearings, a deck belt, and adjusted my handles once...thats it.

I'm glad you posted this. At that price around here the BAdboy IS MORE expensive than the WIldcat. So with all the standards added to the Badboy it cost more:dizzy:, and you still will lose your arse 5 years down the road when you go to try to sell the Babdoy verses selling the Scag. Your going to clear at least $2000.00 more on the Scag verses the Babdoy! NOW it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which mower you should buy people!!!!! As far as different dealers charging prices its the same way here. We have 2 Exmark dealers within 8 miles of each other and one is about $2700 higher on his mowers than the other one. Its all in what profit margin you want I guess. If you want to sit on a machine alot longer and make more I guess you can do that too. :waving:

Buddy Buds
09-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I have the 25hp air cooled 52inch wildcat I bought in 08. You don't need a stripe kit. It does beautifully without one. I wasted that money on the kit. I love the wildcat.

Kykutter
09-13-2009, 01:05 AM
O.K. let me try the math. (I am from KY. but maybe i`ll get it right.)

Bad Boy Scag-Wildcat
7995 8500
ROPS- 499 incl.
Foot assist 179 incl.
5 yr. warranty 700 3 yr. incl.
Front run flats 178 incl.
Sub-Total 9551 8500
6% KY. Tax 573.06 incl.
Total 10124.06 8500
Why would I want to pay 1624.06 more for a BB to get the same options that a Scag comes standard with. If I am missing something please let me know.

My dealer said list was $9199. Scag has a rebate of $500 till the end of the year so that made it $8699, I said, if you will take $8500 tax and all i will take it, he said it`s yours if you want it today but don`t expect the same deal next week.
Wildcats have the adjustable control arms also,up & down and front to back.
Adjustable baffles on the 61in. also and they do make a difference, especially in leaves.

It is NOT a demo,aged unit or any other excuse you want to dream up because someone might get a better mower at a better price than the all mighty Bad Boy. I think i would also miss a mower on my trailer if i forgot that i had traded one of them in on a new one.

I hope i am friends with my dealer. Since i switched to Scag 3 years ago i have bought a new one from him every year.

I have not launched a Scag off a trailer running 70 mph as you say you have so neither one of us know if it would have faired better than a BB, so you can drop that tired line also.

Did not post as i had it typed but all the options on the BB are standard on the Wildcat

crhoades68
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for the information. I decided to shop over the weekend. The dealer I visited stated you should either buy the 48 or 61" deck and not consider the 52". He also said that for anyone mowing less than 30 hours/week he would go with the 27HP Kohler (air-cooled). He just happened to have a 07-08 Wildcat in stock with a 61" 27HP Kohler. It has 4.1 hours, a little rust on bottom of muffler, some minor paint scratches, and the flap over the deck discharge has faded. He will sell it for $8000 and I would get the same new warranty. This seems to be a good deal, what do you think?

Mike Blevins
09-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. I decided to shop over the weekend. The dealer I visited stated you should either buy the 48 or 61" deck and not consider the 52". He also said that for anyone mowing less than 30 hours/week he would go with the 27HP Kohler (air-cooled). He just happened to have a 07-08 Wildcat in stock with a 61" 27HP Kohler. It has 4.1 hours, a little rust on bottom of muffler, some minor paint scratches, and the flap over the deck discharge has faded. He will sell it for $8000 and I would get the same new warranty. This seems to be a good deal, what do you think?

Why not the 52" deck? I bet he don't have one in stock? It would seem the best size for the medium frame ztr in my opinion. Mine would stripe and cut with any tiger out there. Less than 30 hours a week get the 27 kohler???? Air cooled or liquid cooled I don't think hours a week would matter as much as maintenance and upkeep. Seems like a good deal.I would make sure of the model year to make sure its an 09 model. The 27 kohler 61" I would think would be a little underpowered. But havenever used this combination. My personal "opinion" or choice would be the 52" liquid cooled kaw if I was buying a Wildcat tomorrow. Any of them should give you years of trouble free service. Go get it !!!!!! Lets see some pics!!!!!!:usflag:

GravelyNut
09-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Here's a few clues as to how one dealer can/will sell a mower cheaper than another dealer can/will sell the same mower.

1. Were they both bought at the same time? Factory does give price cuts at times.
2. What is dealer A's volume vs dealer B's? Does A buy more and therefore get better pricing?
3. Does dealer A buy when there is a sale more units for stock while B only buys as needed?
4. Does A buy when there is free shipping while B buys only as needed?
5. Is A nearing the 60-90-180 day date for when interest kicks in on the stock?
6. Is A willing to take less profit or have lower overhead than B and makes it up on volume?

All those factors figure in. Some times, you can get free shipping and a discount. That means playing it smart and being able to offer lower pricing to a customer.

GravelyNut
09-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Why not the 52" deck? I bet he don't have one in stock? It would seem the best size for the medium frame ztr in my opinion. Mine would stripe and cut with any tiger out there. Less than 30 hours a week get the 27 kohler???? Air cooled or liquid cooled I don't think hours a week would matter as much as maintenance and upkeep. Seems like a good deal.I would make sure of the model year to make sure its an 09 model. The 27 kohler 61" I would think would be a little underpowered. But havenever used this combination. My personal "opinion" or choice would be the 52" liquid cooled kaw if I was buying a Wildcat tomorrow. Any of them should give you years of trouble free service. Go get it !!!!!! Lets see some pics!!!!!!:usflag:

I don't get the 52" deck bit either. We have customers that are very happy with that deck. 27 Kohler and the 61" works down here.

Kykutter
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess the BB boys are done with this topic.

jlaw25
09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Guys
I am about to purchase a scag wildcat as well with the liquid cooled 26HP Kaw engine. I am getting a real good deal on it end of season. I am a little nervous going with a liquid cooled engine. Does anyone out there have one?
Is that radiator screen problem a big issue? Is there a fix out there as this is the only negative I can find with this machine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

retrodog
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Guys
I am about to purchase a scag wildcat as well with the liquid cooled 26HP Kaw engine. I am getting a real good deal on it end of season. I am a little nervous going with a liquid cooled engine. Does anyone out there have one?
Is that radiator screen problem a big issue? Is there a fix out there as this is the only negative I can find with this machine.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have 630 hours on one, and I have had 0 issues with mine so far. Every once in a while the screen will get debris on it, but my Bad Boy has a high pitched alarm system to let me know, and an automatic shut off on the engine also (not sure if the Scag has that). I just pull over, wipe the screen off, set a minute then keep going. It depends on the turf, but usually every 2 hours or so for me I have to do that. It is really a small issue to deal with and the benfits out way it tremendously. I run a 31hp kawasaki air-cooled that gets 2.5 gph, and my 26hp lc is getting 1.1 to 1.3 gph. The lc is supposed to last 50% longer than the air-cooled, its much quieter than the air-cooled, and so far we love ours. It survived a 70mph tumble down the highway too which is a plus, and still going strong. Over 50% of all the mowers we sell actually have that engine on them, and we have only seen one issue period. The engine was making a clattering sound, and it ended up being a loose bolt. As far as me responding to the price difference, it is like beating my head up against the wall when talking to some of you guys. I saved $3000 over the Turf Tiger (which I was going to buy) until I rode on the BB and heard the price. The main components were heavier built, it rode 100% smoother, and cut the grass just as good, so it was a no brainer for me (even with my dealer being 2 hours away, he said if I had a problem he would ship the part to my house and cut me a check for fixing it under warranty). And no, I didn't purchase an extended warranty, roll bar, or any of those parts, I got a Peco 3 bagger system for $1500, ACS chute $199, and a spoiler $149. Just the bagger system for the scag was another extra $1000 also.

Kykutter
09-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Now i am the one doing this :wall
So now it was a Turf Tiger that was over 10k three yrs. ago.

Another dog and cat, apple and orange comparison.

Mike Blevins
09-17-2009, 12:46 AM
I have 630 hours on one, and I have had 0 issues with mine so far. Every once in a while the screen will get debris on it, but my Bad Boy has a high pitched alarm system to let me know, and an automatic shut off on the engine also (not sure if the Scag has that). I just pull over, wipe the screen off, set a minute then keep going. It depends on the turf, but usually every 2 hours or so for me I have to do that. It is really a small issue to deal with and the benfits out way it tremendously. I run a 31hp kawasaki air-cooled that gets 2.5 gph, and my 26hp lc is getting 1.1 to 1.3 gph. The lc is supposed to last 50% longer than the air-cooled, its much quieter than the air-cooled, and so far we love ours. It survived a 70mph tumble down the highway too which is a plus, and still going strong. Over 50% of all the mowers we sell actually have that engine on them, and we have only seen one issue period. The engine was making a clattering sound, and it ended up being a loose bolt. As far as me responding to the price difference, it is like beating my head up against the wall when talking to some of you guys. I saved $3000 over the Turf Tiger (which I was going to buy) until I rode on the BB and heard the price. The main components were heavier built, it rode 100% smoother, and cut the grass just as good, so it was a no brainer for me (even with my dealer being 2 hours away, he said if I had a problem he would ship the part to my house and cut me a check for fixing it under warranty). And no, I didn't purchase an extended warranty, roll bar, or any of those parts, I got a Peco 3 bagger system for $1500, ACS chute $199, and a spoiler $149. Just the bagger system for the scag was another extra $1000 also.

You know why its like beating your head against the wall with us? Its because in your area the deal might be better. Here in my area as we saw a few posts back I would be spending MORE on a Babdboy than a Scag. As hard to believe as it is I still don't think the Babdoy mowers are sronger than the Scags. I have looked at both machines. I have used both machines,although limited with the Babdoy. But I have my opinion and you have yours. One thing that gets me is the constant threads that have potential to relay alot of good information get shot down because of some silly debate over which mower is better. You like your Badboys and we like our Scags. Simple as it is thats the whole truth. We can debate it over and over, and we probably will. This thread was started about a Scag mower. Not how many times you can flip a mower down the interstate, or how cheap babdoys are where the dealer lives compared to Scags, or why don't Scag people just stop buying Scag and buy Babdoys because you smarter to buy a "cheaper mower". I have looked at babdoy mowers locally and I am not impressed with their mowers,warranties,standard options,dealer support,ride,resale values,etc,etc,etc,. Now if you don't like Scag mowers or they are 20,000 dollars in "your" area by no means don't buy one. I really don't care as I am not a dealer. You mow woth waht you want to mow with and I will do the same. :realmad:

retrodog
09-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Now i am the one doing this :wall
So now it was a Turf Tiger that was over 10k three yrs. ago.

Another dog and cat, apple and orange comparison.

No, I looked at the wildcat which the retail price was $10300 with the 26hp lc kawa, but he had a TT with the same engine that retailed for nearly $12000 that he would let me have for a lower price, so that is what I compared the $7500 lightning to. I have noticed some dealers on the net selling the Wildcat for $8999 in other areas, but if you spend some hours on a lightning, you will find that it blow the wildcat out of the water due to the comfort level, heck I even liked it more than the Turf Tiger. You guys don't understand, I am speaking on your level here, no biase opinion at all, my true opinion as an LCO not a dealer. When I did this comparison and bought the Bad Boy I was not even thinking about being a dealer, I was just out looking for the best mower I could buy for my business. I owned several Grasshoppers, and just decided to shop this particular purchase. I bought the GH blindly because that was what I saw all the big guys here using. I am not gonna lie, out of demoing atleast every mainstream brand here (Super Z, Lazer Z, 260 gravely, kubota, deere, and Scag), I loved the TT over all mowers I demoed period. And would have bought it if I wouldn't have seen the $7500 BB price all over the net. After checking out the mower (physically mowing on it for an hour), I was honestly blown away. I am just trying to help you guys notice what I did, I don't get a d&%n thing for flipping over to LS and typing this crap. Believe it or not, by me typing crap on here, I have helped quite a few mower dealers pick up a line they had never heard of, and talked to roughly 30 people personally that actually bought a BB (not all from me of course, but their local dealers mostly) from all over the world. I even talked to a guy from the UK, and Australia believe it or not. Just an example on mower design difference. Today a friend of mine with an lco asked if I could fix the carb on his toro. I said yeah of course thinking it would be a 10 minute job like on my mowers. It has a 23hp kawasaki engine crammed up in it. In order to even get the carb off, I had to completely disassemble the back end, it took roughly 20 bolts (some really hard to get to), part of the frame, the whole exhaust assembly, and 2 guards just to get to where I could take the carb off to look at it. A simple 10 minute job turned into probably a 2 hour labor charge. I showed him the difference on the BB, 4 bolts on the carb, and it slips out on every engine option. He is a proud owner of a 2009 AOS 27hp LC kawasaki BB after retiring out a ferris 33hp cat, and is planning on retiring out 4 more of his Toros and replacing them with BBs.

Kykutter
09-17-2009, 08:20 PM
You know why its like beating your head against the wall with us? Its because in your area the deal might be better. Here in my area as we saw a few posts back I would be spending MORE on a Babdboy than a Scag. As hard to believe as it is I still don't think the Babdoy mowers are sronger than the Scags. I have looked at both machines. I have used both machines,although limited with the Babdoy. But I have my opinion and you have yours. One thing that gets me is the constant threads that have potential to relay alot of good information get shot down because of some silly debate over which mower is better. You like your Badboys and we like our Scags. Simple as it is thats the whole truth. We can debate it over and over, and we probably will. This thread was started about a Scag mower. Not how many times you can flip a mower down the interstate, or how cheap babdoys are where the dealer lives compared to Scags, or why don't Scag people just stop buying Scag and buy Babdoys because you smarter to buy a "cheaper mower". I have looked at babdoy mowers locally and I am not impressed with their mowers,warranties,standard options,dealer support,ride,resale values,etc,etc,etc,. Now if you don't like Scag mowers or they are 20,000 dollars in "your" area by no means don't buy one. I really don't care as I am not a dealer. You mow woth waht you want to mow with and I will do the same. :realmad:

Well said Mike.:clapping:

I normally don`t get involved with the pissing matches on here, but at the same time I get tired of a simple question about a mower being took over by yet another BB testimonial that has been told over and over.

As far as the Wildcat goes,I do own 3 of them and I do know a little about them and what they sell for in this area.I sure don`t need someone jumping in and basically calling me a liar about what I can buy one for. I wonder if Bad Boy would like to see some of RD`s posts. He has turned me off of BB even if they were cheaper than Scag here.

tacoma200
09-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Scags are priced lower in Kentucky than some regions. Most Turf Tigers run in the $11,000+ range and as you know many of us got the 35 Briggs for well under $10,000. Sorry I don't know much about the Wildcat.