PDA

View Full Version : Echo trimmer problem, weird

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a serious out of warranty problem with my SRM 280. The problem has gradually become worse over the past 3 months. The unit is 1 year old, light use strictly by me personally.

At first, the unit would get "spoiled" if I attempted to use the trimmer line too long. Specifically, it would start well, but not allow full throttle until it warmed up.

Now, it has gotten to the point where the problem no longer correlates with the length of my trimmer line. Here is the description of my problem:

In the morning, it starts and runs fine (but not accepting absolute full throttle - slight loss of power). On the second lawn, it starts up great, but will not accept full throttle unless I either turn the unit upside down or let it warm up idling for about 5 full minutes. This continues for the rest of the day, with a recent loss of overall power. It always starts just fine.

All the simple maintenance fixes have been done multiple times (air filter, spark, fuel filter, checked the exhaust screen, checked the check valve on the gas tank, etc) and the unit has been treated well with proper Amsoil mix, no dropping, etc.

My question is twofold:

1) Could 87 octane be responsible?
2) Could ethanol be responsible?
3) Could using the trimmer line too long be responsible?
4) What do you think the positional factor of this problem means (runs better upside down)? Recently, even turning it upside down hasn't been working.
5) Could it be a collapsing fuel line?

I will be taking this thing apart tomorrow to check for pitting and to basically inspect it. Thanks.

benjammin
09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Definitely the ethanol. Stay away from that at all costs.

Ruben Rocha
09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
First thing is echo recommends mid grade gas.
Use 89 Octane [ ] (mid grade or higher)
Then you need to make sure the ethanol is less than 15%.

ed2hess
09-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I guess you missed taking the unit in after 30 daysto have the carb adjusted corrrect....it was free. They woudl have taken the plugs off the two needle adjustment which need to be adjusted now. Take it in and pay them to take out the plugs and show you how to adjust the carb.

Breezmister
09-10-2009, 06:15 PM
All the simple maintenance fixes have been done multiple times (air filter, spark, fuel filter, checked the exhaust screen, checked the check valve on the gas tank, etc) and the unit has been treated well with proper Amsoil mix, no dropping, etc.

Okay, checked the screen, but did you take the muffler off and check the exhaust port ?

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks. What plugs need to be taken off? Just the one spark plug or another set of plugs?

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Actually, this unit does not have carb adjustments for acceleration or high speed, just idle adjustment. Is that what you are talking about?

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Ok, I will check that tomorrow. Thanks.

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I just found that out reading the manual. I just bought my first supply of a mixture of 87 and 93 today.

Mr. Magpie
09-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Definitely the ethanol. Stay away from that at all costs.

The owners manual says that ethanol 10% is ok. I wonder though.....

Mr. Magpie
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, here's an update: the unit is running GREAT! For some reason the air filter got really dirty in just 2 months. So, when I replaced it and knocked out some gunk from the exhaust port, it runs great. I am stoked. I guess I need to figure out why the air filter is so dirty, and why the inside of the air filter housing is all oily.......

HERE IS MY REMAINING QUESTION: Upon starting, the unit still must be turned upside down to reach full RPM, but once it does, I can then turn it back and use it just fine, with full power. The fuel filter and fuel line are in their proper place in the fuel tank.......... what could be causing this?

ed2hess
09-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Actually, this unit does not have carb adjustments for acceleration or high speed, just idle adjustment. Is that what you are talking about?

Take it to the dealer there are needle adjustment on all the carb on the 265 and I bet they are on the 280. Those needles are hidden by a blob of plastic to cover them up so end users can't get to them easy:dizzy: The dealer can pull the plug and with a normal screw driver(bought from Echo) you can adjsut the carb. I woudl say about 70% of people with Echo units don't realize they can be adjusted.....including some dealers.

Breezmister
09-11-2009, 05:23 PM
knocked out some gunk from the exhaust port, it runs great. I guess I need to figure out why the air filter is so dirty, and why the inside of the air filter housing is all oily.......

Part of your problem is that you are running with too much string, making the trimmer to work harder.

Get rid of the spark arrester, so next time it starts to lose power, you can rule that out.

As you saw, there is a tiny exhaust port, they clog up with carbon. This causes back pressure, so the fuel blows back and soaks the air filter with fuel. Clean it or replace it when it shows signs of getting soaked/clogged and take the muffler off and clean the carbon.

You can do a search in this forum on how to do that safely.

Take it to the dealer like ed2hess suggested and have them adjust the carb.

Mr. Magpie
09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I woudl say about 70% of people with Echo units don't realize they can be adjusted.....including some dealers.

I think this is true because the manual itself says that it is set at the factory and there is no adjustment! Ridiculous, now I know, thanks.

Mr. Magpie
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Part of your problem is that you are running with too much string, making the trimmer to work harder.

Take it to the dealer like ed2hess suggested and have them adjust the carb.

Thanks, I wil have them adjust that carb because this problem is just going to happen again and soak my $10.00 air filter.

And, I know the string should be kept short, I learned the hard way. But I am up and running strong, viscious power from that unit that I forgot about since when I first bought it.

ed2hess
09-11-2009, 09:22 PM
There is NOT going to be any reference in manuals about these adjustment needles. They tune the units for emmission at factory then seal over the heads of the needles. Echo provides a screwdriver kit to make the adjustment and pay dealers to do the adjustment 30 days of use. The dealer has to come up with his own technique to get those plugs out. One of the techs at the shop heats a curved spring hook and jams it down into the hole. Then he used air to cool it and then pulls the plug out. I have found that I needed to tune my 265 units based on temp. These units will easily pull 21" of cord but the ports do get clogged easily after about 5 months use and have to be cleaned. Many many guys are all time complaining about starting on echo and one of the needles is specifically for starting. If you get enough gas into the chamber they will start. Now does the epa just ignor all this...I mean the fact that customers can tweek on them....I guess.