PDA

View Full Version : trimmer heads

derekarbeiter
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a Stihl FS90R that is a couple years old with the original trimmer head. It is now wearing out and I am looking to buy a head that is a quick feed (no taking apart head). I dont care for the Stihl head as I have tried it. I am looking at either the Echo U-turn or the Shindaiwa Speed Feed. The problem is that there is only an Echo dealer around my area. I need to know if this trimmer head is worth buying. I want the best quick feed trimmer head on the market that will fit my Stihl.

Thanks,
Derek

Turf Dawg
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I have one Echo U Turn head but several Speed Feed heads. To me the Shindaiwa/Oregon speedfeed is the best head on the market. I also prefer the small speedfeed over the large but I have both.

93Chevy
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I love the speed feed head. Very easy to use. I have the Echo U-Turn as well on my trimmer, and I don't have any complaints.

Dpatt07
09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
I use the Shindaiwa head and I love it. Its very easy to replace line, never jams up, and just a simple straight forward design. I believe that my dealers sells the head for $35 dollars last time I checked, which is not a bad deal.

Dan85
09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
We have three shindaiwa speed feeds, by far the best heads I have used. So my vote is most definitely for shindaiwa.

- Dan

metro36
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
My vote goes to the shindy speed feed. 5 replies and 5 votes for the shindy. They must be doing something right.

Jayson_109
09-10-2009, 08:37 PM
RedMax has just come out with one.... have been using it for a couple months and have no complaints on it. I know it is manufactured for them, does look similar to the Shindy. Think I paid $23?

mowerbrad
09-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Apparently I would be the only one who likes the stihl version.

Pennington Lawncare
09-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Speedfeed 450 rocks and the Echo U-turn sux. Oregon and Stens also makes a Speed Feed and not only Shindaiwa makes that head. I need to order another one right now. Hey Hoyt.

unkownfl
09-11-2009, 12:53 AM
northern tools has speed feed if they are by you. I bought mine on Ebay for like 35 bucks new to my door. I replaced the u turn for the s/f as it holds more string and is three times faster and easier to use. The u turn takes about a 5 pound roll of string to loosen up. The speed feed was easy to turn from day one. U turn has a nub to bump out string as the speed feed is the entire surface.

lawns Etc
09-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I run the Oregon smaller one Expressmowerparts has them for $25 They are not as durable as the Stihl or Redmax OEM bump heads but they bump and feed very smooth the only downfall that I have is with Gatorline Square you can hardly fit .95 line through it.

WH401
09-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I have the Speedfeed and love it, best design out there. I had it on an FS-55R, but sold that, and now I'll try it out on my new FS-90 since re-spooling the line on the 25 Autocut head takes too long.

MikeKle
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Do any of these fast feeding heads hold double the line of a OEM head? My redmax BCZ26 currently holds 20ft total,10ft for each side which always runs out at the worst possible time! Im looking for the head that holds the most line possible?

WH401
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Do any of these fast feeding heads hold double the line of a OEM head? My redmax BCZ26 currently holds 20ft total,10ft for each side which always runs out at the worst possible time! Im looking for the head that holds the most line possible?

The Speedfeed 450 will hold 25' of .95 line. What kind of line are you using?, it might just be breaking off faster than other line.

dwost
09-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Just switched to the Shin. speedfeed........one word, AWESOME

Turf Dawg
09-11-2009, 10:54 PM

I like the small speedfeeds that only hold 10' but that does not matter because I put a 10' piece in my back pocket. If the head runs out 1000' from the trailer I do not care because I just reach in my back pocket and in 30 seconds I am off and going again. I have kept line in my back pocket for years because you always run out the farthest from the truck.:laugh::drinkup:

MikeKle
09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
I use .95 too. I like the idea about keeping a spare line in your pocket. One year, I tried mounting a small spool to the trimmer shaft, it worked OK but I still had to have something to cut it and the spool kept bumping into things! Im sure someone will come up with something innovative to keep the line with the trimmer? I thought there was a head out there that held like 40ft, 20ft for each side???

Bob_n_weave
09-12-2009, 02:52 AM
I have the Speedfeed and love it, best design out there. I had it on an FS-55R, but sold that, and now I'll try it out on my new FS-90 since re-spooling the line on the 25 Autocut head takes too long.

Thats why you have 1 or 2 extra heads wound up in back of Truck. If your working far away from Truck duct tape one to your trimmer pole.

WH401
09-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Thats why you have 1 or 2 extra heads wound up in back of Truck. If your working far away from Truck duct tape one to your trimmer pole.

No that's why you have a speedfeed. If you run out, just re-spool it and your back in business in 30 seconds. No multiple heads and no duct tape.