PDA

View Full Version : blower not one of those horible ones

2brothersyardcare
09-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Well i have a br420 bp and im going on Saturday and buying a BR600 or the biggest shindy blower for got the model number. What im trying to find out is if the shindys 550 price tag is worth it or if i should get the BR600. i have stihl now and ive herd good things bot the shindy.But i would like to know if anyone has any comments on the shindys performance? and if they think it would be better than a BR600.

Bo Baker

ed2hess
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Skip the 600 it isn't no BR420.

93Chevy
09-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Both of Shindy's top of the line blowers, the 2 mix and the 4 mix are more powerful than the BR600.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141704&d=1238183155

MnDLawn
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
4 of our 600's are in their 3rd leaf season. Never any problems, tons of power. I run SeaFoam through them once in a while, other than that its regular Stihl oil and 87 gas.

MnDLawn
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Both of Shindy's top of the line blowers, the 2 mix and the 4 mix are more powerful than the BR600.

It's also 5 pounds heavier, that makes a big difference after an 8 hour day.

93Chevy
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes, you are correct in that.

2brothersyardcare
09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Ok so every one that I've talked to is saying stihl and you guys. I'm leaning stihl guess ill have 2 demo them both.

THC
09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I really like my br600 but it's gas tank is too long and shallow. It sloshes and then the motor bogs down. I can live with it though, great machine but I did try to buy a shin but they couldn't get it to me in time so I went with sthil but, if I remember the shidawa would have cost an extra $200 canadian. If that was true, that's too much for a small performance gain.

Edit: Hey, does anyone get a sore side/back when they do clean ups with the br600? I never had a blower so powerful that it wants to twist me around:laugh: But man it can move a lot of debris during clean ups. Even during just mowing I can blow grass off a drive way from 15 feet away.

93Chevy
09-10-2009, 06:49 PM
You might as well buy a Stihl because you've had good luck with them in the past. No point in changing.

2brothersyardcare
09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Ya my stihls have been decent for me i think ill get another 1

metro36
09-10-2009, 08:28 PM
What model shindy is priced at $550? I got my 802 for under $500 this spring. It is a great blower much better than the echo 755 I used to have. I have never tried a sthil. I hate the local sthil dealer so i go to one that sells echo and shindy.

Richard Martin
09-10-2009, 09:09 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141704&d=1238183155

We'll just skip over the worthless chart. As soon as manufacturers all agree to standarized testing procedures and the tests are performed by an independant lab then I'll start paying attention to the numbers published. Yeah, I know. We should all believe everything they tell us. Until then the best way to find out if a blower is suitable is to go try them out for yourself.

I've tried both the Stihl BR600 and Shindaiwa's 4 stroke blower at the same time. Both were brand new. The Stihl easily had more power.

Just an FYI here. Shindaiwa doesn't make a 4 Mix. 4 Mix is a copyrighted name that belongs to Stihl and Stihl alone.

lawnboy dan
09-10-2009, 09:26 PM
i agree with hess-if it aint broke-dont fix it. the br400 series is the most reliable blower i have ever seen un like the br600.

2brothersyardcare
09-10-2009, 09:38 PM
i need another blower for fall for my Buddie

STIHL GUY
09-11-2009, 12:16 AM
i went with a BR600 and its great. its pretty light and plenty powerful

MOW ED
09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Good choice. I owned or own 3 mfgrs. SHindy, nice but parts were shipped from the bowels of China. Redmax, awesome blower, very reliable. Stihl 600 is used everyday. Power to weight is excellent. Only downside as stated was to keep the gas tank full or tie a fishing weight to the tube inside the tank. Great choice.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Get the BR600 and forget the rest. I bought one this spring, the dealer had a special going on so I dropped the dime and bought it in anticipation of doing leaf clean ups this fall. I've already used it to do a clean up for a wedding being held at a private home. I'm SO glad I bought it as it rolled ALL the debris from the grass including damp wet leaves! I paid $429 for it.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Good choice. I owned or own 3 mfgrs. SHindy, nice but parts were shipped from the bowels of China. Redmax, awesome blower, very reliable. Stihl 600 is used everyday. Power to weight is excellent. Only downside as stated was to keep the gas tank full or tie a fishing weight to the tube inside the tank. Great choice.

So that's the trick? Once my 600 gets less then half a tank it starts to lean bog. It's raining here today, I might go out in the garage and do that little trick. Glad I decided to read this thread. :)

Oh yeah, those are called clunkers. They use them in model airplanes when flying inverted. Stihl needs to put them in the tanks.

Richard Martin
09-11-2009, 11:53 AM
So that's the trick? Once my 600 gets less then half a tank it starts to lean bog. It's raining here today, I might go out in the garage and do that little trick. Glad I decided to read this thread. :)

Stihl also has a metal cased fuel filter that will do the same thing. My BR600 has one in it. They're aware of the problem and yet for some reason they keep putting that lightweight fuel filter in them. :dizzy:

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I would go with STIHL, I've got all STIHL handhelds and love em

2brothersyardcare
09-11-2009, 07:46 PM
ok guys going 2 get the br600 tomorrow but will try the shindy but im probably getting the 600

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 07:53 PM
ok guys going 2 get the br600 tomorrow but will try the shindy but im probably getting the 600

I think your still confused. Just get the BR600 . There's no reason to "try" the shindy as you say. The BR600 has some serious blowing power. So much that it will almost dethatch the lawn! :D

2brothersyardcare
09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
ya i just want 2 try every thing

TreeClimber57
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
I have Stihl's - 2 BR600's. I think the Shindy's are better, but not sure how much or if worth the extra $'s. I have not been able to locate a dealer close to me, which is a huge issue and for now at least keeps me going back to Stihl. (I did call 3 dealers who show up on Shindy's site, but none of them carry product any longer)

Green surfer 1
09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I have br600's they are excellent machines, dependable, nice weight and ergonomics to them when using the blower, shindy is a great machine but it is heavy when you put one on, it comes down to one thing youre budget,experience and dealer support toward your purchase, good luck on youre choice.

ray0311
09-11-2009, 10:13 PM

You got people here that are more partial to sthil, do your self a favor try both and decide. I love my sthil equipment but I know for a fact that both of the Shindy blowers out perform the br600 on paper and in the field.

Richard Martin
09-12-2009, 07:34 AM

I would rather you try the Stihl and the Shindy and decide to buy the Shindy rather than just buy the Stihl and hate it somewhere down the road. Above all else you need to buy a piece of equipment that you are happy with.

2brothersyardcare
09-12-2009, 07:48 AM
im going to try the shindy the stihl maybe a echo idk bout them tho its all my dealer so its good support

mowerdude777
09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
so what blower did you wind up with

Yater
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I think your still confused. Just get the BR600 . There's no reason to "try" the shindy as you say. The BR600 has some serious blowing power. So much that it will almost dethatch the lawn! :D

I dethatched my own yard last year with my ebz7001. I had a pile of crap 2' high and the length of my driveway. I don't have a big yard, but it cleared EVERYTHING out.

W.L.M.
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Well did you end up getting the stihl? If anyone is still trying to choose. I currently have a br600 and a husqvarna 150bt which is the same machine as a redmax 5100. I like the stihl and haven't had any problems out of it other than the dealer being a dickhead but I still plan on UPGRADING to the Shindy 802 in the spring. I ran one and there is a noticeable difference in blowing power and even though it is structurally much bigger it is still comfortable to run, and I know for certain I am going to get much better longevity from shindy.

Alan0354
12-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Stihl also has a metal cased fuel filter that will do the same thing. My BR600 has one in it. They're aware of the problem and yet for some reason they keep putting that lightweight fuel filter in them. :dizzy:

Depend on the tube size, I tried the big metal filter in my Shindy trimmer, still don't work. I end up push 3 of the 1/4" nut onto the tube and solve all problem, no need to tie weight or anything. As I said, depend on the size of the tube whether the nut will fit snug and stay put. Give this a try, work magic for me, and I flip the trimmer all angle!!!

kemco
12-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I had a Stihl BR600, had mutiple problems with it just after warranty ended. Have been using the Kawi 750 for last month or so. I love this thing, lightweight, very powerful, better warranty than the Stihl.

topsites
12-18-2009, 03:49 AM
The br420 is not a bad blower at all, I still have my 8-year old and did use it just last week after I dropped
my br600 off a roof during a gutter cleaning job and the fuel tank cracked, but my br600 is more powerful.
I did notice the difference doesn't become but so apparent until the leaves are wet (and I mean WET),
especially when cleaning out gutters but also when using these blowers to empty out the trailer,
so when it really counts that's when it makes a difference.

We'll just skip over the worthless chart. As soon as manufacturers all agree to standarized testing procedures and the tests are performed by an independant lab then I'll start paying attention to the numbers published. Yeah, I know. We should all believe everything they tell us. Until then the best way to find out if a blower is suitable is to go try them out for yourself.

I've tried both the Stihl BR600 and Shindaiwa's 4 stroke blower at the same time. Both were brand new. The Stihl easily had more power.

Uhm, well I'm glad you said that because I had heard something along those
lines just was never sure what they were talking about, you probably just
saved me a near-$500 learning experience.

Alan0354
12-18-2009, 04:54 AM
I had a Stihl BR600, had mutiple problems with it just after warranty ended. Have been using the Kawi 750 for last month or so. I love this thing, lightweight, very powerful, better warranty than the Stihl.

Was just searching on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawasaki-KRB750B-64-7cc-Back-Pack-Blower-NEW_W0QQitemZ360218462830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53deb18a6e

$389, free shipping. that was the price I paid for my Maru.....plus tax:cry::cry::cry:!!!

Richard Martin
12-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Depend on the tube size, I tried the big metal filter in my Shindy trimmer, still don't work. I end up push 3 of the 1/4" nut onto the tube and solve all problem, no need to tie weight or anything. As I said, depend on the size of the tube whether the nut will fit snug and stay put. Give this a try, work magic for me, and I flip the trimmer all angle!!!

I appreciate that Alan, but I fixed it another way...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3298136

Yater
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Was just searching on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawasaki-KRB750B-64-7cc-Back-Pack-Blower-NEW_W0QQitemZ360218462830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53deb18a6e

$389, free shipping. that was the price I paid for my Maru.....plus tax:cry::cry::cry:!!!

Wow....that's a good price. No tax, free shipping

Alan0354
12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow....that's a good price. No tax, free shipping

If you need one, dive in!!! A lot of good price now, might not come around again. Last month I was talking to someone here about Kawi 600D on ebay for $259!!! He bought it. Now you look again, none goes for less than $300!!! This is really a good time to stock up. Don't forget to check your local dealer also. I had seen insane deals before when I was in the market a year or so ago. $379 for BR600 and $299 for BR550!!!!:dizzy::dizzy: Just one time though, never seen that again. My friend bought the BR550 for that price and he love it.

Yater
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
If you need one, dive in!!!.

I need one. How does the kawasaki 750 compare to the ebz7001? Anyone? I'm talking real world, not that chart.

Alan0354
12-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I need one. How does the kawasaki 750 compare to the ebz7001? Anyone? I'm talking real world, not that chart.

Can't help you on this one, go test one out, if you have a dealer carrying Maruyama BL8100, it is the exact same, take a test drive.:waving:

Just Mow
12-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Richard, the BR600 Magnum is being released. They will eventually come with two fuel lines inside the tank on opposite sides. This is a fix to the problem.

Richard Martin
12-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Richard, the BR600 Magnum is being released. They will eventually come with two fuel lines inside the tank on opposite sides. This is a fix to the problem.

It has already been released. That's where I got the idea. You're replying to a thread that was originated back in September before the Magnum was released.

2brothersyardcare
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
well guys i got the br600. my boss has the big shindy and i put a lot of time on both blowers but i think the 600 is more cumfy and is lighter but next fall i will def add a br600 and maybe a wb blower.

Green Industry Pro
12-26-2009, 12:19 AM
I hope you enjoy your new Stihl.I would like some reports because Im looking to purchase a blower myself.Merry christmas:usflag::usflag::):):weightlifter::weightlifter::dancing::dancing::walking::walking::laugh: :laugh::cool2::cool2:

mnms0562000
12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Stihl also has a new 2 Year COMMERCIAL Limited Warranty on all Trimmers and Brushcutters, Clearing Saws, Edgers, Blowers and Sprayers, Hedge Trimmers, Pole Pruners, KM Series, Wet/Dry Vacuums and MM Series.

For units purchased after September 2009. There's a specific date, but I'm not sure if it's the 1st or the 31st.

Green Industry Pro
12-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I didnt know that.The one year was a down point to me.Ill have to check into that.:usflag::usflag: Merry Christmas

Alan0354
12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I didnt know that.The one year was a down point to me.Ill have to check into that.:usflag::usflag: Merry Christmas

Not to change brands on you, since you ask about warranty, Maruyama has 5 years commercial warranty and Kawasaki has 3 years. They are on average a lot cheaper than the major brands for the same power. You can find a lot of Kawi on ebay new. Maru from Turfeagle online. If you want to get it from dealer, check your dealer whether they carry these brands. I know Maru is getting more popular and more dealers carry their product lines.

When it comes to the blowers, I doubt Maru/Kawi is going to be as strong as the top tier blowers, but it really depend on your needs in your area. It is going to blow your Troybilt out of the water no matter what!!!! I have the Maruyama BL8100 which is the exact same as the Kawi KRB750 64.7cc bp. It is lighter than BR600 and I paid only $389 from my dealer. You can get it for $359 from Turfeagle. I just put on a post last week that I saw a Kawi KRB750 new on ebay for $389 free shipping. I like my Maru a lot. That I can tell you. It's a Kawasaki TK65 engine, how bad can Kawi be??

Merry Christmas

Richard Martin
12-27-2009, 04:44 AM
I know Maru is getting more popular and more dealers carry their product lines.

Yeah, that's easily the main problem with Maru. I've never seen them in any dealership. The closest dealer to me is over 30 miles away. Stihl has about 5 dealers within easy reach for me.

Alan0354
12-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that's easily the main problem with Maru. I've never seen them in any dealership. The closest dealer to me is over 30 miles away. Stihl has about 5 dealers within easy reach for me.

That is the reason marketing is very important. For what ever reason, they did not market their products. It is more like users discover them rather they market to the user!!! I am lucky enough to have two dealers carrying Maru. So I get to feel and touch the products. I was impressed with the Maru. with their construction and looked very sturdy. Also they cost less. I remember the 30" single sided hedge trimmer was on sale one time for $299.

If anyone have dealer carrying this, it would be a good starter commercial equipments in this economy. We'll have to see more user long term report in the future.:waving:

Green Industry Pro
12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah.Thats the problem with Maru.Ive checked into them (5 year commercial warranty-unheard of).Only problem is I dont have a dealer near.I have access to,husqvarna,echo,redmax,john deere,stihl,shindaiwa.Thanks for the suggestions though.any info bout the others ,mainly redmax,stihl,shindaiwa is VERY HELPFUL.people get tired of the same topics of discussion and I have other answers from other people,but when you dont have much money,you cant be too sure.Thanks:usflag::usflag: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Alan0354
12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah.Thats the problem with Maru.Ive checked into them (5 year commercial warranty-unheard of).Only problem is I dont have a dealer near.I have access to,husqvarna,echo,redmax,john deere,stihl,shindaiwa.Thanks for the suggestions though.any info bout the others ,mainly redmax,stihl,shindaiwa is VERY HELPFUL.people get tired of the same topics of discussion and I have other answers from other people,but when you dont have much money,you cant be too sure.Thanks:usflag::usflag: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

I understand money is always a big factor, that is the reason I don't bore you with the most expensive ones. You ever check out Husky 150Bt which is the same as Redmax EBZ5100? $299 50cc, 496cfm at the tube. Money for the bang, you can't beat this. It is only a mid size blower though, but it's sure cheap.

John Deere biggest blower use the same Kawi TK65 engine as Maru and Kawi, I am not sure it is the exact same blower nor do I know the cost. Check it out yourself.

Green Industry Pro
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I understand money is always a big factor, that is the reason I don't bore you with the most expensive ones. You ever check out Husky 150Bt which is the same as Redmax EBZ5100? $299 50cc, 496cfm at the tube. Money for the bang, you can't beat this. It is only a mid size blower though, but it's sure cheap.

John Deere biggest blower use the same Kawi TK65 engine as Maru and Kawi, I am not sure it is the exact same blower nor do I know the cost. Check it out yourself.

I have checked into the 150bt and the newer/better version 350bf(which is the same just newly redesigned engine thats more efficient and costs the same $299). If I choose not to spend the money for a more expensive more powerful machine,Ill definitely buy the Husqvarna 350bf . Maybe I can get demos to really get an idea.Ill have to check that out.The Husky is a beast in all areas considering its only a mid range machine(good power to weight,performance,value,etc...)you dont expect a mid range to compare in terms of performance with a top tier.The only thing Im concerned with about the husky is performance,other than that I like it just as much as the top tier models(lighter weight,less expensive). Thanks for the advice,Ill have to see if I can demo these units or not.:usflag::usflag:

any other opinions about this topic from anyone would be GREAT

"The people around you now might call you 'nerd',but in the future they'll call you boss"-----Bill Gates (recalled from memory so it might not be exactly what he said)