PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Trim Star and M1 field test

Sweet Tater
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Just got the mowers delivered today from Hustler to begin a field test. only used it for an hour today since my back is out and it doesnt have a sulky (yet). So far I am very impressed with the machines. Here are some pics right ater I washed it after use today.

Sweet Tater
09-10-2009, 07:33 PM
more pics
I'll post some of the M1 self propelled 21" later

a plus bob
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
How long did it take to figure out those controls Tater .

Jayson_109
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM

You should ask.... "What all was scarficed while trying to learn those controls!" :dizzy:

Sweet Tater
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM

actually, about 5 min, its actually very easy. I was very suprised

Sweet Tater
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
You should ask.... "What all was scarficed while trying to learn those controls!" :dizzy:

rofl. actually I knew better so I went to my largest lawn, 5 acres, no trees and went to town. its alot easier to operate than it looks

Sweet Tater
09-10-2009, 09:11 PM

btw, whats up Bob, aint seen ya downstirs lately

maelawncare
09-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Watch out for the M1s. I have had one for 2 months and it has already broke down twice :( for a $1300 push mower you would think their a little beefier.

1 thing broke twice. I guess the solid shaft drive system was a bad thing. There are pins in the tranny that break when there is too much stress on the drive. So if you go up a good hill with it. They snap. Its sitting in the shop right now waiting on parts.

Now the new trimstar. AWESOME i used my sulkey off my exmark and its a mean machine. Only thing i dont like is the speed. its limited at 6mph while my exmark is 8mph

brucec32
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, this looks like a 48" deck WITH a trim side anti-scalp wheel. I could swear I've seen other photos w/o one, and I could swear I saw their spec page and it didn't mention the antiscalp (which I HAVE to have mowing Bermuda at 1.5").

NOW the mower is finally on my short list.

Sweet Tater
09-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Watch out for the M1s. I have had one for 2 months and it has already broke down twice :( for a $1300 push mower you would think their a little beefier.

1 thing broke twice. I guess the solid shaft drive system was a bad thing. There are pins in the tranny that break when there is too much stress on the drive. So if you go up a good hill with it. They snap. Its sitting in the shop right now waiting on parts.

Now the new trimstar. AWESOME i used my sulkey off my exmark and its a mean machine. Only thing i dont like is the speed. its limited at 6mph while my exmark is 8mph

found out today, it goes alot faster thn I can walk lol, got to find me a sulky for that thing. so far I like it, I just cant keep up with it ;)

Sweet Tater
09-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, this looks like a 48" deck WITH a trim side anti-scalp wheel. I could swear I've seen other photos w/o one, and I could swear I saw their spec page and it didn't mention the antiscalp (which I HAVE to have mowing Bermuda at 1.5").

NOW the mower is finally on my short list.

I'll be mowing my Burmuda lawn tomorrow with it, 1.5 is where I mow too, I'll post how it does.

BTW tell them you sw it from Sweet Tater's, maybe they will let me keep this one lol

2TALLKCMO
09-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I put the bull rider sulky on my 07 trimstar and have loved it since, also I found I could get more speed/torque out of mine by tightening the pump belt a couple of chain links.

I mainly use mine on TTF at a church that has to be double cut every week and I have found that my accelerator grass catcher for my ferris 1500Z will fit perfectly on the trimstar. I let it fill up so that it will make the deck act like a mulching deck and it also helps hold the front end down and I actually get better traction with it this way. when I double cut it, i take off the catcher and blow out what it windrowed and there are no grass clippings seen whatsoever.

SKYNYRD
09-14-2009, 08:28 PM
found out today, it goes alot faster thn I can walk lol, got to find me a sulky for that thing. so far I like it, I just cant keep up with it ;)

i feel ya spuddy:waving: that's how godess was towards me when i first got her;) sweet lookin machine u got to play with:drinkup:

CampbellLawnCare
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
i like the new height adjustment

Sweet Tater
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
i feel ya spuddy:waving: that's how godess was towards me when i first got her;) sweet lookin machine u got to play with:drinkup:

lol, us old folks got to have wheels on our feet :cool2:

Sweet Tater
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
i like the new height adjustment

it is nice, not to have to stop, pull pins, raise or lower, reinsert pims then continue

AdamChrap
09-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I have never considered this mower but I like what I see

Elite Outdoor
09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Any more updates? More specificaly the M1, how does it mulch, cut, speed?

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Any more updates? More specificaly the M1, how does it mulch, cut, speed?
well I am trying to save info for the Turf Mag Aticle, but I have only used the M1 once so far and am very impressed, it was an area that normally has to be line trimmed as I didnt own a mower small enough to get in that area. the grass is cut only once a month and was aout 8 inches tall and THICK. it cut this mess with ease and never wavered from the mission. It has two speeds for the sel propelled and its almost to fast in the higher speed. Its a go getter so far. I will keep posting stuff. as a matter of fact I will go out now and make some pics of it that I forgot to do :)

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
This is the M1 21 inch self propelled mower. its a work horse. in picture 1 the yellow handle is the pto, push it down and the blades go, the other handle is the standard "deadman switch.

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
more pics wit and with out the bagger

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 07:42 PM
btw there is a "plug" to go in the grass chute when the bagger is off

93Chevy
09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
On the M21, I don't like the lack of variable speed. It does look like a tank though.

I'd been considering a Trimstar 48" for myself next year. Might go the ZTR route for the better bagging ability, but the Trimstar is definitely on the top of my WB list.

LawnMowerKing10
09-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Looks like a cubcadet..... To bad it was not out yet when I was looking at 21's .

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
On the M21, I don't like the lack of variable speed. It does look like a tank though.

I'd been considering a Trimstar 48" for myself next year. Might go the ZTR route for the better bagging ability, but the Trimstar is definitely on the top of my WB list.

I have been thinking about making them an offer on a used mower after the test and just keeping the trimstar and sulky

Turf Dawg
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Man I swear that M1 looks just like my Grandmothers 1984 Honda HR214. If it is it should be a great mower because that 1984 Honda is still going.

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 05:15 PM
update,

Got the sulky tody, it was so easy to install, heavey as a boulder tho. Now if it would stop raining ;) I could use the darn thing and let you all know how it works

mjealey
09-18-2009, 05:27 PM
That M21 looks like a Honda to me also. They are very similar with the exact some features as the Honda.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
New Trimstar units are awsome and the NEW controls are even better than the old ones. Great improvements from Hustler this year on the Trimstar. My bets are it will soon become the number one selling WB in 2010. By far the easiest to steer system I've used yet.

MOHUSTLER
09-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Lol, the first new trimstar we got in I had to put it to the test and stuck it on our road bank that I cant walk up.

The mower held it with me standing on the bottom of the hill running the mower sideways one handed. No other walkbehind can do that.

Its a huge seller allready! Bravo Hustler!!!

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I'll let you know about the hills, I have two that are fairly steep and make me a bit nervouse on a Z, you peaked my curiosity MOHustler

Mowbizz
09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Nice looking mower...what is the going price for one?? (Trimstar 48)

green_with_envy
09-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I had a 2008 Trimstar. I hated it. 3 warrenty issues in 9 months. The final was when all three spindles went out with 170 hours on them. I dropped it back off at the dealer and told them to get me a Turf Tracer. Much nicer machine. Much better cut. No stringers that they could never figure out. More money but worth it. I got PM's from other Trimstar owners with similar problems.

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice looking mower...what is the going price for one?? (Trimstar 48)

I believe about 5300 or so, but dont quote me

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
I had a 2008 Trimstar. I hated it. 3 warrenty issues in 9 months. The final was when all three spindles went out with 170 hours on them. I dropped it back off at the dealer and told them to get me a Turf Tracer. Much nicer machine. Much better cut. No stringers that they could never figure out. More money but worth it. I got PM's from other Trimstar owners with similar problems.

interesting, I'll just have to say keep you posted on that subject. plus I will have to write an article for Turf mag when I am finished. So far no problems but only 1.5 hours on it.

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
roflmao, ya'll should have seen me on a sulky for the very first time in my life. Didnt look so professional lol

93Chevy
09-18-2009, 09:52 PM
You should have gotten a video of you on a sulkey!

I'd pay to see that :p

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
You should have gotten a video of you on a sulkey!

I'd pay to see that :p

I am sure there will be another chance for that lol :cool2:

brucec32
09-19-2009, 09:31 PM
I agree that M1 mower really looks like the Honda drive setup.

That sulky looks like it might destroy wet turf and have a brutally harsh ride. (rolling on steel!)

That trimstar steering looks unbeatable in terms of ease of use.

I'm curious, how'd you get chosen to write the column?

maelawncare
09-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Yea the m21 is a honda basically. Hustler just beefed it up a little. And it has a solid drive shaft instead of belt. One would think that it would be awesome. No so

There is too much torque. It keeps blowing pins inside the tranny. There are 2 little pins that lock the drive in place. And the huge torque from the solid drive shaft snaps the pins. I have already had it in twice to get it fixed in 2 months! If it was a belt drive it would get a chance to slip a little bit when there is too much torque. With the solid drive shaft theres no slippage. it just snaps the pins. And of course the pins are on backorder. Story of my life

Sweet Tater
09-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree that M1 mower really looks like the Honda drive setup.

That sulky looks like it might destroy wet turf and have a brutally harsh ride. (rolling on steel!)

That trimstar steering looks unbeatable in terms of ease of use.

I'm curious, how'd you get chosen to write the column?

That sulky is good and bad, it doesnt tear up grass, I tried to and couldnt, but it sure does slide in wet redclay mud. I found the stearing really easy, but I had no bad habits as this is my first time with a walk behind.
as for being shosen, lucky I guess, Hustler doent have much presence in this area and they want us rednecks to know about them lol

Sweet Tater
09-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Yea the m21 is a honda basically. Hustler just beefed it up a little. And it has a solid drive shaft instead of belt. One would think that it would be awesome. No so

There is too much torque. It keeps blowing pins inside the tranny. There are 2 little pins that lock the drive in place. And the huge torque from the solid drive shaft snaps the pins. I have already had it in twice to get it fixed in 2 months! If it was a belt drive it would get a chance to slip a little bit when there is too much torque. With the solid drive shaft theres no slippage. it just snaps the pins. And of course the pins are on backorder. Story of my life

interesting, I wish I could say I have used it enought to disagree with you, but with the rain we are having (Hustler didnt send water wings for it) I have only been able to use if for 5 min so far :confused:

93Chevy
09-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I bet that sulkey lays down some nice stripes.

MOHUSTLER
09-22-2009, 11:10 AM
It will lay some sweet stripes! But as sweet tater said it will slide on hard surfaces. In my first 10 feet I was eating pavement lol. But once I got the hang of it I loved it!

Sweet Tater
09-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I bet that sulkey lays down some nice stripes.

we'll have to wait for Noah to land the arc before we can find out tho ;)
but thats what I thought when I saw it too

Sweet Tater
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
It will lay some sweet stripes! But as sweet tater said it will slide on hard surfaces. In my first 10 feet I was eating pavement lol. But once I got the hang of it I loved it!

lol, me too, then I went Tokyo Drift on it ,

MOHUSTLER
09-22-2009, 02:11 PM
lol, me too, then I went Tokyo Drift on it ,

:laugh::laugh: thats funny!

Sweet Tater
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM
just an update, that sulky is a rough ride, I think it vibrated some teeth loose ;)

Turf Dawg
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
just an update, that sulky is a rough ride, I think it vibrated some teeth loose ;)

When you are down to two or three you will have to move over to Arkansas:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You know the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas, because if it was invented anywhere else it would have been called a "Teethbrush"

maelawncare
09-30-2009, 12:16 AM
interesting, I wish I could say I have used it enought to disagree with you, but with the rain we are having (Hustler didnt send water wings for it) I have only been able to use if for 5 min so far :confused:

Yea we use it about 6 or 7 hrs a week. My guys love it. Its my first commercial push mower. Other than the pins its great so far.

Sweet Tater
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
well, new update, this is about the power, had to pull the 52" Z out of the mud with it. if it werent for the wheels slipping in more mud it would have done the trick really well, but it took abit of pulling and spinning and got the z unstuck. plus it does cut wet grass pretty well

JFGLN
10-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I sold (gave away) our M1 after a couple weeks of use.

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3002418#post3002418

demhustler
10-14-2009, 02:23 AM
ST, can you compare TrimStar to other w/bs
also sulky - how it is - if compare (how it feels on the turns, hills, slopes, becking-up)
ps. - good to put down first impressions - easy to forget it later : )))))))))))
btw. controls (panel) same as any other controls - basically nothing to learn - but they just put way too much pictures !! : ))))

a plus bob
10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
When will you review be done Tater ? Still have the mowers ?

Sweet Tater
10-19-2009, 12:17 PM
ST, can you compare TrimStar to other w/bs
also sulky - how it is - if compare (how it feels on the turns, hills, slopes, becking-up)
ps. - good to put down first impressions - easy to forget it later : )))))))))))
btw. controls (panel) same as any other controls - basically nothing to learn - but they just put way too much pictures !! : ))))

I am sorry I cant compare it to anyothers as this is the first time I have used a w/b. the sulky is a rough ride as it has rollers like rolling pins instead of wheels. I think a definitly a different sulky for me. the mower itself seems to be very easy to learn to operate. even my helper who has never used more than a standard lawn tractor was driving the TrimStar easily in 5 min.

Sweet Tater
10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
When will you review be done Tater ? Still have the mowers ?

Yes I still have the mowers, dont know or sure yet when the test will be over, Mrs Amy from Turf mag is checking on that right now. I guess I could write the review now if they needed. But who wouldnt want to keep a new mwer longer :cool2: It has frosted twice here now so mowing is going to be over with 1 more mow. :( then leave and srubs and flower beds

Sweet Tater
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
well the field test is done, look for it in the Dec issue of Turf. I aint no schloar so dont pick on me about the article :)

a plus bob
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
well the field test is done, look for it in the Dec issue of Turf. I aint no schloar so dont pick on me about the article :)

Is it out yet?? I havent seen it if it is.

Just read your review on line havent recieved my dec. issue yet?? You did a good job Tater! Did you hate to give them back?

Sweet Tater
12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Is it out yet?? I havent seen it if it is.

Just read your review on line havent recieved my dec. issue yet?? You did a good job Tater! Did you hate to give them back?

lol, give what back:confused: they are still in my shop, I may give them back next fall :drinkup: unless they ask for them sooner

a plus bob
12-23-2009, 05:51 PM
lol, give what back:confused: they are still in my shop, I may give them back next fall :drinkup: unless they ask for them sooner

Hope they dont read this maybe they foregot you had them.