PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower 26 hp EFI MT GHS - blown ecu?

MowinginEureka
09-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok, so my mower is a 2000 model 26 hp EFI 42" MT GHS that has 329 hours on it total and a hi dump kit. For the last few months it has had a sporadic check engine light and finally started to exhibit some symptoms recently. It tries to die randomly while mowing, has difficulty throttling up in all conditions whether just started or while being used. But these problems are sporadic, it will go hours without a problem, but the check engine light will still come on from time to time. I tried to take it in but the shop says that the ecu will not interface with their computer. Its my ECU, but theres no way to know what the problem is otherwise unless the guy tries to troubleshoot it for hours and hours starting with the throttle positioning sensor, 02 sensor, and other sensors. It does have a code 42, but the sensor that code talks about (dont remember) the tech tested with a meter and it was well within parameters. So somethings awry somewhere. They quote me a new ECU for 519.00, I cant find one on any website including ebay. Kohlers part number on it is a 24 584 22-S. Its a Kohler Command unit with a metal case, not plastic. If anyone knows where one is cheaper, new or used, or possibly what the problem might be. Let me know. I have put 1000 dollars in this mower since I got it a year ago. I have only put on 50 hours and it only has 329 hours on it total.

VegetiveSteam
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
The problem you're describing doesn't sound like a ECU issue. With a code 42 there is a problem with the oil temp sensor or the wiring to it. If the sensor checks good then I would have to look at the plug connector. There was at one time an issue with those and there is a repair kit for that. The part number for the kit is 24 755 134-S and the suggested price is $35.03. You are going to need to fix that first before you can diagnose any other problems. The kit comes with a new sensor and a new wiring pigtail. There were some issues with getting moisture and corrosion in the connector. I would start there. It's a pretty simple repair.

pugs
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the shop doesnt have the kohler test equipment for EFI engines...

If you do end up needing an ECU its probably a kit that converts it to a newer plastic box unit...thats why its so expensive I would think.

MowinginEureka
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Ok. I will talk to the shop about the plug connector and make sure they checked it. Heres the problem though, the shop DOES have the software and all to check EFI Kohler engines. Mine is messed up somehow, they believe it is related. The Plastic box conversion kit is separate from the actual ECU. Hey Steam, you sound like you know what you are talking about. Are you a shop tech or something?

VegetiveSteam
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
There isn't much of a check for the plug connector but if you have a code 42 and the sensor is good there really isn't anything else it could be. The new connector has a boot on it that seals out moisture. You are dealing with very low voltages here and it doesn't take much corrosion to disrupt those voltages and cause problems. If the computers doesn't get the proper voltage from the sensor then it will give you performance problems. If you are getting a code 42 the computer isn't getting the proper voltage signal from the oil temp sensor. Install the kit and go from there. You could have other problems but if you are only getting the code 42 then I would stick with the temp sensor and the kit. Also you don't really have to have the computer program to troubleshoot this engine but it helps. The self diagnose system this engine has many times is all you need.

Eureka, I am not actually the wrench turner but provide tech support to those who do and I pretty much only deal with Kohler engines. I also have a side business of selling parts for lawn and garden equipment and engines.

As far as your metal cased computer goes it is discontinued, which it sounds like you already know. I don't think you need a computer but if you do the best you can probably hope for if you don't want to buy the conversion kit is find a used unit from someone who maybe has a failed engine. Exmark used the same computer on their early units so finding a used one isn't impossible.

MowinginEureka
09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Hey Veg. My stupid dealer says they have called up Kohler and all their west coast suppliers, but cannot find the stupid conversion kit for my metal ecu. They say mine is a 32 pin and the new ones are 26 pin and have a different wiring harness. They say Kohler says the number doesnt exist that I gave them for it or acknowledge that there even is a conversion kit...which I got off of the Kohler wesbite. I even downloaded the PDF file for how to install it..off of the Kohler site. What gives? Do you happen to know if it DOES exist, and if so, where to get this conversion kit, does it include an ECU, does it require a separate harness, and how much? Kohler has crappy customer service, its been 3 full business days, and I still have no decent answer from Kohler/my dealer on a price or an actual solution despite the dealer putting in 4 phone calls! I did however order the plug connector to my mechanics dismay. He seems adamant on me ordering that ECU, so does Kohler apparently he says. Im thinking of selling the stupid mower if the plug fixes the problem. All I have had with this mower is problems. Maybe buy a 25 hp carbureted or maybe a diesel model. I dont know what to do at this point...pain in my butt.

VegetiveSteam
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Eureka,

The conversion kit part number you would need to replace your 24 584 22-S is 24 755 169-S. Right now Kohler has no stock but they should be available actually in the next few days. This kit includes a new wiring harness so the pin count doesn't matter. Whoever you've been talking with evidently hasn't actually talked with anyone at Kohler because anyone at Kohler would know about the coversion kit. I'll be selling the kit for 620.00 but at this point I really don't think you need a computer. Again, with a code 42 the first thing I would do is install the 24 755 134-S kit. It's only a 35.00 kit and can be installed in half an hour or less.

pugs
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Yah you can diagnose them without the laptop hookup. Just seems odd that if they have the wires to hookup to newer ones....well nothing has changed as far as the hookup goes that I am aware of. So that seemed kinda strange that they can hookup to the new ones but not the old ones.

Sounds like VegetiveSteam has dealt with alot of these...I would listen to his suggestion.

There really is nothing wrong with these engines. But if you have a dealer that is not willing to learn about them, you will have problems.

I used to see the 31HP liquid cooled ones. Built a wiring harness/fuel tank setup to run them on our test stand.

Dont see the EFI's as much anymore...wish I did as they are actually fairly simple to work on.

MowinginEureka
09-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, so dealer still hasnt called me back. Big surprise. They said they could try to diagnose the issue but said it would be as much in labor for him to track down the issue as it would be for a brand new ECU, which if there was an ecu that would give him an exact code or whatever, that would solve two issues. Fix the ecu and find out whats wrong with the mower...Kinda makes sense. Except for the fact that Veg's logic on the plug connector sounds like a no brainer to try first. But if all else fails and that is the problem. Im still left with an ECU thats broken that will not spit out diagnostic stuff...wont that cause issues for me later anyhow? I will be having the plug connector installed first no matter what. Thanks.

MowinginEureka
09-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, so dealer still hasnt called me back. Big surprise. They said they could try to diagnose the issue but said it would be as much in labor for him to track down the issue as it would be for a brand new ECU, which if there was an ecu that would give him an exact code or whatever, that would solve two issues. Fix the ecu and find out whats wrong with the mower...Kinda makes sense. Except for the fact that Veg's logic on the plug connector sounds like a no brainer to try first. But if all else fails and that is the problem. Im still left with an ECU thats broken that will not spit out diagnostic stuff...wont that cause issues for me later anyhow? I will be having the plug connector installed first no matter what. Thanks.

MowinginEureka
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Been one week and they still cant figure out how to get the stupid ecu kit or a price for it. Im going to go pick up my mower today, the plug connector I ordered for it is in though.

MowinginEureka
09-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Ok, so update. I got the kit 23 755 134-s in hand. I am wondering, I only need to install the new ground and the new plug connector, right? Because there are no directions for the Oil Temp sensor installation or even the location and I'm assuming its under the mower in the oil pan. I really do not think I need to replace a oil temp sensor that tested fine. Just the plug and ground, yes?

VegetiveSteam
09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
The connector and the ground are the important things to change. I'd probably change the sensor since it's there but it might not need it. We'll assume the dealer checked it properly. It shouldn't be too hard to find. It will be the sensor the plug you're replacing is plugged into. Anyway good luck and I hope this fixes it.

MowinginEureka
09-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Btw, the dealer has not actually gotten a call back from Kohler yet. They have left a message every day for the last week. The people who said the could not find the part number or the part was their dealer, not Kohler. My bad. But it is pretty ridiculous even still. Thanks for all of your help. I will replace the plug connector and ground...I might do the sensor, but I thought it was hard to get to. I need to go get a heat torch to put on the shrink wrap. I'll take a look.

VegetiveSteam
09-20-2009, 03:34 AM
H.G Makelim is the Kohler distributor in California. That is who the dealer should be talking to. I know they know about the ECU kit. I talked with Kohler yesterday (Friday) and they have the kit in stock. But again, at this point I don't think the ECU is the problem.

JABBERS
09-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I have had this same problem with my exmark 26 efi. I had the dealer replace it with the new ground and sensor. The kit has to be spliced into wire harness. My mower has never coded 42 again. But after i fixed that there were a few other problems that I finally got fixed.

MowinginEureka
09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys. Been sick, haven't been able to install the kit yet. I really don't know why my dealer is having such an issue.

Currinson
09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Steam, here is one for you, 2009 Walker 26 FI, while mowing mower would die, happened several times. No service engine light, code 51 and 52. Have you seen this before, only 140 hours on mower.

Thanks for the help

Erick

VegetiveSteam
09-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Do you have the engine serial number available? Depending on when the engine was built and what computer it has on it those codes my mean nothing and your dying issue is just a coincidence. There was an issue with the computers throwing codes 51 & 52 a couple of years ago but they had no effect on engine performance. In the newest EFI engines a code 51 or 52 tells us there is a problem either with the fuel injector or a problem with getting power to the fuel injector. That could be as simple as a corroded connection to a a wiring problem to a bad relay. Checking the fuel pressure would be a good place to start. The trick to that is you need to check the fuel pressure when you're experiencing the problem.

Oldtimer
09-26-2009, 11:32 PM
The early wiring harness used some stainless steel grommets which have 2 percent of the conductivity of copper.

There were grounding problems also. An engine mounting bolt was used to secure a ground and the bolt was just a tiny bit too long and would not tighten enough because it was bottoming out.

Oldtimer