PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on what type of grass to plant.

Whitaker24
09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I live in SC. We had a blow up pool this summer. I just took the pool down and have a black dead area of grass where the pool sat. What type of grass could/should I put there to fill in? The pool will go back in close to the same spot but not the exact same spot for next year. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

RAlmaroad
09-11-2009, 05:07 AM
What type of grass do you have outside of the pool area? Simply use same sod. If you're unsure of type, shoot a photo and post it. Most of our grasses are centipede, St. Augustine, Zoysia or Bermuda. I'd sod it.

benjammin
09-11-2009, 09:27 AM
If you are going to put the pool back up why bother trying to get grass to grow now just to have it die in 6 months?
I would just plan to put the pool up in the same spot every year. Put some pavers down so you have a nice level spot for the pool and a patio in the off season.

Whitaker24
09-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Im thinking about bringing in some topsoil also. That would make it easier to level the area, and then put pavers down on top. Ill shoot a photo with my cell and post later saturday. Thanks

Whitaker24
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Guys couldnt get photo to flip. Going to bring in some topsoil so that would make it easier to lay the pavers. Also thinking about not doing the side by side paver, but have space between each one. I would just have to weed eat an blow or sweep off the area. We dont have much room to the rear property line or I would move swing, sandbox and lil house back to center the pool.

Area is 39" long and 12" deep to square off the area the steps are located.

RigglePLC
09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
May I suggest perennial rye? Use a top quality seed, like Amazing, Blazer 4 or Manhattan 4.
Even if you use cheap rye--it should stay green most of the winter. Sow seed. Rake it vigorously to work it into the soil. Rake in the crosswise direction. Use the raked up residue just like straw for mulch. Water heavily. 85 in day and 60 at night is ideal temps. Under ideal conditions it should be a half inch high in 5 days.

Add pool next year. Don't worry about killing grass.