PDA

View Full Version : Exaust spit out oil

MudMower350
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a MTD Yard Machine with a 16.5hp B&S OHV and when i start it up it spits alot of oil out the exaust. But when it stars up it quits spittin the oil out and after about 30 second it will kill the motor... Any ideas?
Thanks,
Zach

Restrorob
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Zack,

Check the oil level, If it's over filled and smells like fuel a piece of trash likely got under the float valve and hung it open. If the intake valve was open at the time the carb flooded fuel into the cylinder past the rings into the crankcase.

Clean the carb and check/clean the entire fuel system then replace the fuel filter.

MudMower350
09-10-2009, 09:02 PM
i did check the oil and it was over filled alot! and it was flooded so bad that when i took the exaust off that about half a gallon of gas came out. then i took the spark plug out and let it turn over and a lot more gas came out. i was wondering how i clean the fuel system out. do i just put a new filter on it and new gas line and clean the tank and carb, or is there more i have to do than just that(besides usin fresh gas)? and im gonna change the oil so what type of oil would be the absolute best to use?

Restrorob
09-10-2009, 09:27 PM
do i just put a new filter on it and new gas line and clean the tank and carb,

That's it, You could add a in-line fuel cut-off valve so you can turn the fuel off when your not out boggin. If it happens again replace the float needle valve in the carb and straight 40w would be my choice for oil in this one.

MudMower350
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
ok thanks alot!

MudMower350
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
i cleaned the carb reall good(looks brand new) and changed the oil. it runs like new now. i ouldnt find a fuel shut off valve for the life of me so does anyone know where i can find onew and how much do they cost? Thanks a ton! Zach

Jay Ray
09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
O'Reilly, NAPA, any dealer. About $5. Get the clamps if they don't come with it -- unless you keep a bench stock of them.