PDA

View Full Version : why false advertise (years in business)?

americanlawn
09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen it in your home town. We see it too. No skin off our back, yet I get a good laugh when I see some outfits advertise X number of years in business when it's a complete lie. I still can't figure out why folks lie about their years in business, cuz it rarely matters.

To find out who is legit, just tap into your local county recorder's office or the secretary of state. You will see when a particular LCO was founded, their status (legal, fictitious, active, non-active, etc). You will also find where their official office is located.

I just checked two LCO's in our area.

One is running TV ads saying "We've been in business over twenty years"........ actually they began in late December of 1998. :confused:

Nuther one - "Full service since 1989" -- ooops, it was 1995 (without full service). :confused:

Nuther odd fact regarding the above two: Both have official offices in an "office suite" in another city. :hammerhead:

Our company's status is active & legal since January 1991 when we chose to incorporate, and we don't need some suite in an office building in West Des Moines either. Cuz our home base is where we're at. No LLC's, no corporate sponsors, no legal partnerships or any of that nonsense. We're easy to find, and we have no fictitious name or suggest we have been in business more years than we have been.

Question to all --- What do you think the motive is for LCO's to lie to the public regarding years in business? Any examples in your area? rscvp, thanks

:usflag:

shovelracer
09-10-2009, 09:36 PM
What is the reason? I would guess that the general feeling is that the longer you do something the more you know and the better job you do. Myself have been in the business for 12 years, I've been my own business for 6 years, and I've been my current business for 2 years. We went from DBA to and entity then, so if you look at my info you will see we are only 2 years old, although you may hear we started in 2004.

What I see the most is years of experience. Even I tend to claim this more often than actual DBA. However, some people go over board. I saw a new company owned by a young 20 something kid claiming 20 years experience. The only way that happened is if he was born with a shovel and put to work in the field as an infant, on the other hand he hired experienced workers so perhaps it wasn't that far fetched.

EVM
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah but the best is when one of the guys with "since 1991" has crab grass, nutsedge, and dollar spot on a maintenance account of mine; and I am the one to bring it to the customers attention. LOL!

grassman177
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
been in business since 1981 boys, yeah!!!! no lies there. folks everywhere try to talk up and seem big to attract more business, old trick but stupid from my point of view.

hughmcjr
09-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I hear you, but there is an exception. While said business may not be in business for x years, it isn't really lying when they say they have been in business x years if they really have been but under a different name.

phasthound
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I started my company in '05. But I do like to point out that I have been in the green industry for 30 years. Experience does count, exaggeration loses trust.

rcreech
09-11-2009, 12:13 AM
I have been in business for 5 years and that is because I am younger and have an education. That doesn't at all put me at a disadvantage to any Co even those with 20-30 years experience.

If I would have stated in this business when I was 18....I would know MUCH LESS then I do now and I wouldn't have the technicaly and agronomic background I have now.

Yea...I could have said I have 15 years of experience....but would not have the knowledge or education I am so fortunate to have.

I have always been one to say that "years in business" is WAY overated!

KES
09-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Local competion here says we have 30 years of combined experience. The guys treating the yards are newbies- only a year or so in the industry. I have been in the industry 10 1/2 years but do not advertise that. I tell people look at my work that is what matters.

turfcobob
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
The thing about being in business for a long period of time is simply this. You will make less mistakes today because you made them yesterday and hopefully learned from them. Mfg is not much different from you guys. We make something and it does not work or works poorly we make a note of it not to do it again. If it works and works good we remember so we can use it again. Common sense tells us that the longer we are in business the better we get. Sadly some folks just learn how to cut corners better.

phasthound
09-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I have been in business for 5 years and that is because I am younger and have an education. That doesn't at all put me at a disadvantage to any Co even those with 20-30 years experience.

If I would have stated in this business when I was 18....I would know MUCH LESS then I do now and I wouldn't have the technicaly and agronomic background I have now.

Yea...I could have said I have 15 years of experience....but would not have the knowledge or education I am so fortunate to have.

I have always been one to say that "years in business" is WAY overated!

Experience, knowledge and wisdom is the winning combination.

Think Green
09-11-2009, 11:22 PM
I am really too tired to type a long and drawn out response!!
How many of us drive around and critique other LCO's work........"are their lines straight?.........do they edge well?..............how about the cracks in the sidewalks or driveways?.....are their weeds growing in them?" (We all do!!!!)-- But to the average Joe Smoe customer, they could care less as long as it is done each week for a great price.
The only people who worry about how long another LCO has been in business for is (us!!)
A customer isn't going to call the state offices nor are they going to drive up to the city court house and inquire about a person's credentials. We are mowing grass for heaven's sakes.!! Now if we were building a pool, fully equipped with a patio, retainer walls, running fountains,etc. they would be more inclined to be more aggressive. But this is where word of mouth and busiess experience comes into play.
The only rolling vehicles that I see here with "Doing Services Since ? " is plumbers, heat and air, electricians, and mechanics. I can see a nursery sign with their tenure of business displayed for the public to see, but not the other.
For those guys that are fluffing their business history, they are looking to impress someone and hoping to gain respect within a certain group of customers. It is all a sales tactic....................!! It may gain respect in the elderly groups of citizens.!! The younger crowd of customer can care less!!!!