PDA

View Full Version : my new boxvan project

David Gretzmier
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Ok, mentioned this in another thread, I have gotten a quote on a 20 ounce heavy duty, full high resolution color banner with double hemmed edges, 86 inches by 166 inches. 300 bucks shipped. I am pulling the trigger on that , and will probably be out another 50 bucks design time for the marketing folks. I am pricing aluminum, stainless, and galvanized metal now, I am hoping to be out less than 200 bucks for materials to mount the 2 banners.

David Gretzmier
10-18-2009, 10:24 AM
man, I cannot believe it is taking this long to do this project. The first post on this was over a month ago. Updates- The printed banners came in from china and were beautiful. I got it from banners4less on ebay. The made them a bit big, which is better than a bit small, but overall I am extremely pleased.

I am trying to mimic the effect of Truck Ads system on the cheap. They use banners on semi trailers and moving vans etc. thier cost to use thier frame and banner on both sides of my 14 foot box van is around 1500. that is way cheaper than vinyl graphics,that is around 2600.

My cost at this point for the banners with shipping was around 300. The cost of my angle iron, bought cut and drilled, was 200, and all my nuts and bolts were about 25 bucks. I have spent 5 man hours of my guys labor at this point at a cost to me of 70 bucks of so. My guess is another 7 hours of labor to go.

so total I am out 595, and my progress is below-

I currently have 1 side almost done, with 3 sides secure and tight. It is very important to mount the banner tight against the metal, and fully frame the banner to keep it from ballooning and ripping. also, I am employing a system to tighten it up and down and left and right, so the banner is drum tight. hopefully this will look better and keep the banner from beating itself to death at 70 miles per hour.

The biggest headache was getting a 14 foot long and 7 foot tall banner up and in place to square it and install it, and having the pockets installed around the side made a huge difference. in the future, I think I will always get them like this. I threaded my longer angle through the top pocket and used ropes thown over the top of the truck, and then pulled it up and tightened it to the frame on the other side.

The angle was primed and painted black to match the black frame of the banner I got. In the future I will make the black frame 2 inches larger. The printed frame is very useful to determine how square you are top to bottom and left to right when you mount the angle. when it is buried beneath your angle, it does not help. also, having holes predrilled in the angle by the metal shop guys as an enormous timesaver, I will have more holes in the next project if this works out.

The main negative I see now is overhanging limbs being hit by the trucks on the sides of roads. it will make marks, and bigger limbs may very well rip it apart. vinyl also show marks, but probably not as bad as this will. we'll see.

it is looking good already, when done I may post my first lawnsite picture ever.

added cost- spray primer and paint were 25 bucks. next one I need to paint the nuts and bolts .

David Gretzmier
10-20-2009, 12:16 AM
finished one side today. tightened up perfect and looks great. still need to trim/tuck border edges and paint the nuts and bolts black to match the metal frame and border. other side is 2/3 done, need to mount last side and tighten front to back,and also paint nuts and bolts, trim/tuck edges.

when done I am going to fabricate a ladder rack on top for each box van for long extension ladders.

gotta get done soon. guys need the truck.

THC
10-20-2009, 03:17 PM
The printed banners came in from china I bought boxes of xmas light a thousand lights in each box, red, blue, green. I bought them from Novelty Lights in Colorado I think. Come spring time, half the paint came off the damn bulbs. Now I can't sell them, just the clear.

David Gretzmier
10-20-2009, 07:24 PM
hmm...not sure how this relates to my truck, except maybe both the banner and your bulbs came from china. I think almost all christmas stuff comes from china, except maybe some high end inside tree ornaments are still handmade in europe.

but I am sorry the bulbs did not work out. I have had good luck with the triple dip bulbs from Litesource in texas.

turf hokie
10-31-2009, 05:34 PM
David

Got pictures yet? I am having my signs installed on the new truck Monday. I'd hate to have pics up before you in your thread:laugh:

Bryan

David Gretzmier
11-01-2009, 10:11 AM
You probably will. I have been at gie-expo convention for the past 4 days and have no idea if my shop foreman finished it like he promised he would. it has rained pretty much nonstop since I left. If not, I plan on working on it the next few days to finish it up.

gues2who
11-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Ok, mentioned this in another thread, I have gotten a quote on a 20 ounce heavy duty, full high resolution color banner with double hemmed edges, 86 inches by 166 inches. 300 bucks shipped. I am pulling the trigger on that , and will probably be out another 50 bucks design time for the marketing folks. I am pricing aluminum, stainless, and galvanized metal now, I am hoping to be out less than 200 bucks for materials to mount the 2 banners.

Where did you get the banner from? Any pics yet?

turf hokie
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Here is what we had done. The Ford has a 10x5 metal sign mounted with 4 bolts, the Mitsu has a 4x8 sign with 4 bolts (the Mitsu was set up originally 4 years ago and we wanted to match pretty close)

It's simple, durable, easy to read, and mcuh cheaper than a banner or wrap when you consider how long it will last.

The bulleted list on the Ford is permanent on the truck as is the front door. The front door is DOT required, as that is the truck owning the vehicle. We will have lawn care signs made in the spring to replace the Christmas signs.

hotrod1965
11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
You should take you van on quotes, and hang all you different things on your van. Wreaths, light links, C9 bulbs and colors...etc. Then you have a mobile demo of what you offer, without having to carry it all over........

David Gretzmier
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Christmas Decor truck looks nice ! On mine, I finally finished it today and it is hopefully going out on route tomorrow. After going to Louisville to expo last week, I now know a much easier and less expensive way to do the printed banner method, and I will attempt that on my trailer next year. I will try to post pics.