PDA

View Full Version : Scag engine decision?

jr_golf
09-11-2009, 01:39 AM
A buddy of mine is about to purchase a 61" turf tiger and needs some help with which engine to go with. Kawasaki 29 dfi, Kohler 31 efi, or the Briggs Vanguard 35. Is there a great difference in the fuel consumption of the three? Also, how much of a price difference between the three engines?

tacoma200
09-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Power wise yes there is a noticeable difference as you move up the HP scale. The 35 is pretty much a beast but it is the only air cooled one out of the group and the only non fuel injected one. I have two big block Briggs and I wold recommend them but not necessarily say they are better, just stronger. The Kohler has a 3 year warranty compared to 2 years for the Kawasaki and Briggs. At one time they dropped the 35 Briggs models below $10,000 for a promotional period. I would expect most dealers to want between $11,000 and $12,500 for the above models. It is hard to say since prices vary widely across the country for Scags. I tested both of my non fuel injected Briggs engines during normal use and got between 1.39 and 1.5 Gallons Per Hour (GPH) use. I don't doubt that in heavy cutting that figure might go to 2 GPH. The two efi/dfi model should do better in theory but I don't have any proof. The 29 dfi is the best seller in KY but some say it is a bit weak for them. All of these engines seem to have a good track record so I don't think your friend could go wrong. Great machines.

jr_golf
09-11-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks for the input

MACKTRUCK
09-16-2009, 01:31 AM
thinking about getting a 2006 scag turf tiger with 29hp kaw dfi with 61'' velocity deck. Suspension seat, ocdc, clamshell bagger, 600 hours, flat free front casters. Does anyone have any comments or experiences with this mower? $6,000 price tag. Tell me what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 02:16 AM
thinking about getting a 2006 scag turf tiger with 29hp kaw dfi with 61'' velocity deck. Suspension seat, ocdc, clamshell bagger, 600 hours, flat free front casters. Does anyone have any comments or experiences with this mower? $6,000 price tag. Tell me what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well that's about half price of a new one and it's barely broken in, then ad the ocdc and bagger. Sounds good, but of course I can't tell how it was taken care of.

MACKTRUCK
09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I forgot to add that this is the liquid cooled engine. The mower was used for spring and fall clean ups for two seasons and then has been sitting since.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlaw25
09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey guys
Trying to determine whether to purchase a scag wildcat 26HP Kaw liquid cooled? I currently run Hustler Mini Z mowers now.

How is the quality of cut with Scag? I will be mulching 99% of the time.

Also is there any additional maintenance with the liquid cooled engine?

MOHUSTLER
09-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey guys
Trying to determine whether to purchase a scag wildcat 26HP Kaw liquid cooled? I currently run Hustler Mini Z mowers now.

How is the quality of cut with Scag? I will be mulching 99% of the time.

Also is there any additional maintenance with the liquid cooled engine?

We sell both Scag and Hustler. The quality of cut on the scag is imo unmatched. The hustler is great dont get me wrong but the scag is top dog. And yes there will be aditional maintence with the LC engine. Add/change coolant, keep raidiator clean, ext..

Both mowers have thier pros can cons. But you will be happy with either hustler or scag.

jlaw25
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply! Have any of your customers complained that the clogging of dry grass or leaves on that radiator screen has been a real problem???

MOHUSTLER
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
It will happen, but I dont belive that anyone has came in and said that its a "problem" . We just make sure to make them awar of it prior to the pruchase of the machine. Then if they dont think its something they can handle we steer them twards a air cooled engine.

GravelyNut
09-16-2009, 02:12 PM
It will happen, but I dont belive that anyone has came in and said that its a "problem" . We just make sure to make them awar of it prior to the pruchase of the machine. Then if they dont think its something they can handle we steer them twards a air cooled engine.
Same here. Some people buy an engine and never think about cleaning them. An air cooled is more forgiving to trash on it than a radiator is to clogging with trash. That goes for those who want Diesels too.

puppypaws
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM
A buddy of mine is about to purchase a 61" turf tiger and needs some help with which engine to go with. Kawasaki 29 dfi, Kohler 31 efi, or the Briggs Vanguard 35. Is there a great difference in the fuel consumption of the three? Also, how much of a price difference between the three engines?

I think the Bosch efi system Kohler uses is the best on the market, but if he needs raw power at probably 1/2 gallon more fuel per hr. the 35 Vanguard is his engine. The 29 dfi will not compare with the Aegis, and the Aegis will not compare with the 35 Vanguard power-wise. Vanguard is on the way with fuel injection, and if they get the right combination it will have more power with less fuel consumption. A 35 hp Vanguard with a Bosch fuel injection system would be the engine to own, excellent fuel economy with unbelievable power.

I do believe the 31 Aegis will be more than sufficient power-wise with better fuel economy on the 61" deck (I would not say this about power with a 72"), but I personally do not want to fool with a L/C mower engine. That is only a matter of my preference, and nothing more.

jtkplc
09-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the 35hp Vanguard is going to be quite a bit of overkill for a 61" deck. Both the Kohler and Kawasaki are LC, but Kohler has the better injection technology in open looped which provides better fuel economy (source: Lawn & Landscape magazine). The Kohler is slightly larger in displacement and has the better injection technology. I would go that route unless it's quite a bit more than the 35hp Vanguard.

tacoma200
09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
35 hp with a 61" deck doesn't feel like overkill to me but I do some heavy cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Im all for sticking a 45 hp fuel injected 4 cylinder whatever engien on a mower. Then il never have to hear some clown come into my shop saying, My mower lacks power when I mow my hayfield climbing my 30 degree slope at full speed......................:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

puppypaws
09-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Im all for sticking a 45 hp fuel injected 4 cylinder whatever engien on a mower. Then il never have to hear some clown come into my shop saying, My mower lacks power when I mow my hayfield climbing my 30 degree slope at full speed......................:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

AMEN! There may be belts breaking and components failing, but they would not want for more power. :nono:

jtkplc
09-17-2009, 04:09 PM
35 hp with a 61" deck doesn't feel like overkill to me but I do some heavy cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm basing that off of running a 72" Exmark with that motor and really there isn't too much that it can't handle with ease.