PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat 37 hp compared to Scag Turf Tiger 35 hp

tacoma200
09-11-2009, 04:00 AM
I did finally get to run a 37 hp BobCat. Very short demo but I'll tell you what I thought. Shorter so of course it follows contours better, it feels very fast both in turning and top speed (feels closer to 15 mph than the 13.5 claimed), it had too much air in the tires so it rode very rough but even at the same air pressure I think the Scag would clearly ride better. The Scag feels more stable and you feel as though you are sitting lower, and of course have a lower center of gravity, so it wold seem to be better on slopes though I didn't have a slope to try it (I can tell). My friend tells me it cuts great at lower heights which I can attest to, cutting at 3" in the rain with just a little grass clippings build up on certain parts of the lawn. He says it doesn't cut as well as the Scag at higher cutting levels such as 3.5"-4" because he compared them so I'll take his word. It definitely runs faster than the Scag. For some reason the front wheels on the Bobcat spin a lot, wobble on pavement and sometimes spin after hitting a bump on a lawn. My Super Z had that problem with the standard forks on it but not with the flex forks. I can't tell much difference between the 37 Kawasaki and the 35 Briggs though I did hear the governor kick in and out of the Kawasaki while the 35 Briggs you just hear a steady boring hum that rarely changes (you never hear the governor kick in on the Briggs).

I don't see anything wrong with either mower, the deck is shallower on the Bobcat but it cut well at 3". It is faster top end, and turning, but less stable feeling (you can keep a strait line easier on rough ground with the Scag). It has fast hydraulics like the Lazers. My friend likes more air in the tires than I do so I think it would ride better at a lower psi. You can buy a Bobcat much cheaper so that may be a deciding factor for many. I really don't have anything negative to say about either, not sure why the front wheels wobble on the Bobcat though. You can as previously stated by others see blade marks with a Scag in certain grasses but I haven't noticed that with the Bobcat. Am I ready to trade, NO. But I enjoyed the test drive.

WREBELMACHINE
09-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Was it a 61" or a 72" you ran?

I demoed a 72" woods that I will be buying! It had the tunnell ram deck on it and cut excellent right after a rain that we had! That mower IMO embarressed my 74" excalibur! In power and mowing ability! The scag tiger I demoed was also a 72" and did well but scalped a bunch it also did not do as well on the hills as the woods but was better than the excalibur!

These mowers are not for everyone but the type of mowing around here in my area I think they are going to be a factor in the next few years if anyone has any money by then!

supercuts
09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
ive been using my turf tiger more and more than my bobcats since i only mow to catch up for rain days now and the guys want the bobcats. i never said in my thread "scag vs bobcat my take" but i do love the lower scag seat height. i still hate the deck height adjustments, they are harder to reach then the bobcats. i had one bobcat that had that front wheel spin problem, never figured it out. i did notice that the front wheels on the scag seem to tear up the lawns more than bobcat when changing directions. still hate the lenght of the scag but it does do better going down hill, i think they are the same across a slope. the bobcats cut quality does go down a bit at 4.5-5.5" range, yes we do cut some that high.....cant think of much more now.

pugs
09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Was it a 61" or a 72" you ran?

I demoed a 72" woods that I will be buying! It had the tunnell ram deck on it and cut excellent right after a rain that we had! That mower IMO embarressed my 74" excalibur! In power and mowing ability! The scag tiger I demoed was also a 72" and did well but scalped a bunch it also did not do as well on the hills as the woods but was better than the excalibur!

I am going to guess 61". The only tunnel deck that Bobcat offers is that 72" one. Kinda an oddball in their lineup. All the other decks are flat top.

Tough to beat Bobcat. Just good simple machines that work.

tacoma200
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
ive been using my turf tiger more and more than my bobcats since i only mow to catch up for rain days now and the guys want the bobcats. i never said in my thread "scag vs bobcat my take" but i do love the lower scag seat height. i still hate the deck height adjustments, they are harder to reach then the bobcats. i had one bobcat that had that front wheel spin problem, never figured it out. i did notice that the front wheels on the scag seem to tear up the lawns more than bobcat when changing directions. still hate the lenght of the scag but it does do better going down hill, i think they are the same across a slope. the bobcats cut quality does go down a bit at 4.5-5.5" range, yes we do cut some that high.....cant think of much more now.

Yes it was a short demo so those were only my initial thoughts. It was the 61"? deck and there were two of them. Of course our quality of turf is not very good so your cutting weeds more than fescue and it is hard to cut above 3" and get a very good cut (he is the one that said the Scag does better at higher heights since he has owned both, not me). WREBELMACHINE most of the 72" Scags still use the old advantage deck but Scag will scalp due to the long length which I like on large rough properties. No the height adjustment isn't the easiest on the Scag (I like the Hustler) and my helpers often have trouble finding the right setting but I guess I just got used to it. My conditions are usually large rough area's but after a few hundred hours on the Scag there isn't much I can't do, like I've said I had the shorter wheel base Lazer that basically just sat on the trailer and watched the Scag because of wet, tall, overgrown grass and that was the reason to go to all Scag even though the Lazer followed contours better and scalped less. In the years ahead I expect to pick up a shorter ZTR or two but given the choice I get by with the Scags OK. Lots of the Banks and other businesses have lots of dips and humps so a Lazer, Bobcat, or other mower with a smaller foot print would do better there. I was really shocked at how shallow the Bobcat deck was though though it seemed to preform OK, It doesn't look like it would handle the large amount of grass the Velocity deck will but you never know? He had too much air in the tires so I can't vouch for traction, he said he would rather spin a wheel than dig in but it made it ride rough as H*ll. It was a bit squirrelly after hitting a bump. Like I said I didn't have a problem with either machine and the Bobcat was only like $8,000 when he bought two. Something to think about, what else will cut that much grass for 8G?

I often get asked to clean up properties and you really don't want to go in there with a deck that has a small discharge opening, especially wet. Lots of good mowers out there and I'm always looking for ones that will fill a gap in my work.

MONTE
09-11-2009, 03:58 PM
A shallow deck is not always a bad thing! Dixie Chopper is shallow also so is some of the old toro decks and they reallly cut good in there day! On the other side some of the deep decks to me are poor I quess it is how you baffle the deck to get it to work correctly!

FastMan
09-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I just got done demoing a 61" predator pro with 33 hp Generac this week. I didn't notice the front wheel wobble you did. Super good power in that Generac though. And fuel usage was decent. Though I don't have exact figures, it was better than many of the reports on the big block Kaws.

The ride is definately stiff, no nodding off to sleep on it. The handling is OK, but very very sloppy. The turf tiger was more precise, though more sluggish. Still nothing has compared to the next lazer in the handling department.

The deck cut my mountain grass great. No stragglers left behind in the tall and weedy, and the engine never skips a beat through it. Hill performance was OK, but not up to par with the Turf Tiger and Lazer.

WREBELMACHINE
09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Must be some real diffrence in handling between the 61" and 72" machines! I have not drove a 61" bobcat or woods but the 72" was a real treat to use!

johnnybravo8802
09-11-2009, 11:33 PM
I"m only guessing here but the head shake may be related to the shorter wheel base. When I raced motocross, I rode Honda's and they were noted for being shorter bikes which allowed them to turn quicker. That's a good thing in a turn but a bad thing when you are wide open in a straight. The remedy was to place a steering dampener on the bike and that eliminated the head shake. Just my guess!!!:confused:

Tires&wheels
09-12-2009, 12:34 AM
What brand tires were on the bobcat?

zman2307
09-12-2009, 12:48 AM
You yourself said the tires were over inflated. This would explain the caster wobble.
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
09-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Over inflation certainly could be a factor though Supercuts says he had one unit with that problem and I had a Super Z with that problem at 9 psi. The front tires spun all the way around on the Bobcat while mowing stait ways on rough ground or turning. Just an observation, not really sure what's going on. Hustler,s used to have a reputation for this on pavement. I think it is the angle of the forks because putting the flex forks on a Hustler stops this, just a guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

supercuts
09-12-2009, 08:53 AM
it could have been as simple as one rear tire down in preasure making the mower tip a bit and then the wheel is left hardly touching the groudn bouncing around. mine really only did it on pavement wide open so i never really cared and it was my older machine. i had always assumed that something was bent slightly.

highlander316
09-12-2009, 11:26 AM
the nut on top of the caster (under the dust shield) might not be tight enough?

WREBELMACHINE
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I had no issue with the 72" But I think the 72" machine is longer than the 60"!

zman2307
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
the nut on top of the caster (under the dust shield) might not be tight enough?

or too tight.

pugs
09-12-2009, 10:25 PM
One reason might be because Bobcat uses ball bearings in the front wheels and the wheel can slide back and forth a bit on the axle shaft. Alot of brands use tapered roller bearings like you would find in the front wheel of a car...when those are adjusted properly they will not move side to side at all.

Another reason is weight being taken off that particular tire because the frames on any of these ZTRs is pretty stiff. If the ground is a bit uneven its very easy for a wheel to go airborne for a sec.