PDA

View Full Version : First Walkbehind

bill1715
09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I am new to the business and would like to know which walkbehind would be good for a starter business! Any suggestions?

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
BOP, they cut great, light weight, shorter (takes up less trailer space), great customer service all with a great price. Others will come in this thread and tell you that you need a high dollar commercial mower but in the end one of these will serve you well getting started AND on a regular basis.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC02045.jpg

bill1715
09-11-2009, 10:08 AM
How do they do in overgrown,wet grass?

playersc
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
BOP should put that pic on there web site!

JNyz
09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
If you plan on staying in the biz, buy yourself a good hydro walk behind like a Scagg. The costs and down time associated with lesser quality brands will more then pay for itself in the long run. There is nothing like paying for something twice. Finance it, maintain it and go to work.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
BOP should put that pic on there web site!

If I'd get off my azz and send them, they probably would do it. :)

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I looked at getting a BOP and that was my every intention until I found the deal on my Gravely. Gravely is a very reliable mower for me so far. I would reccomend it in a heartbeat.

EagleGrounds
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Well my advice is first since your just getting into the business is to work for an exsisting business to learn the ropes and teqniques, or you may fail quite fast, especially at this point in the season.

But if you must insist i have never read anything bad about the BOP's, i have always wanted to try one but never had the chance. I have a 2007 Toro WB and it will cut through anything i put it in and it always leaves an excellent cut.

TPS
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
My first mower was a BOP and I would NOT do it again. I would have spent the money on a better mower from a local dealer. They do have great customer service though. I spent just over 3K on my BOP mower with accessories and could have easily bought a single hydro mower locally. Now I regret spending the money on the BOP. I was recently considering a Ferris Hydrocut. It has a quick chagne deck on the height and a better bagging system. Also faster mower compared to MY bop mower. Just my experience.

ALC-GregH
09-11-2009, 07:35 PM
My first purchase getting started was my Scag Tiger Cub. I bought the BOP because it fits what I need in a mower that size (36in cut). It has cut pretty much perfect from the start. I did recently raise the back of the deck up a 1/4in. It seemed like it was level with no pitch (even though I measured it) so I jacked the back a little more. It stripes even better now and the vacuum on the back of the deck is crazy!
First pic is my back yard, not in the best shape, cut and bagged with no striping kit. Second is a customers back yard when wet. Wet enough that water was still running down along the curbs after a heavy rain.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0281.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0426.jpg

JohnnyCuts
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I am new to the business and would like to know which walkbehind would be good for a starter business! Any suggestions?

This mower

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=286703

for $1500 is a great startup mower IMO. I use the same one to mow 60 yards a week, 20ish a day, and I'm very happy with it.

Green surfer 1
09-11-2009, 10:07 PM
My first walkbehind was a JD 48 w/ a 11 b/s ic engine, and a year later purchased a Bunton 48 w a kawi engine. These machines were tanks used them for a few years until i sold them and run zero turns now. I would recomend you purchase a major brand such as JD,Bobcat,Scag,Exmark either belt or hydro. they will be easier to get parts for when needed and great for reselling .You can also check craigslist as you might find mowers people are selling due to getting out of business,or moving on to bigger machines, I have had good luck in purchasing some equipment from this site. It also comes down to your budget and how much you can afford in your purchase, good luck to you and your business!!

exmark22
09-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I love my Quick 32. Incredible cut. I might get a Dually 36" next year.