PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the screws of echo shc-2100?

cariboulou
09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Anybody know the proper way to adjust the screws connecting the hedge trimmer blades. I know about the washer on the bottom should be able to move a bit, but during use the screws seem to tightened themselves up? I screw the bolt all the way in, then back it up so the washer is loose, then tighten the locknuts TIGHT! any suggestions? thanks

Breezmister
09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I know about the washer on the bottom should be able to move a bit, but during use the screws seem to tightened themselves up?

What I would suggest is holding the nut inplace, back off the bolt a 1/4 turn.
Just out of curiosity, do you oil your blades. I don't know if Echo states in their manual about oiling, but the Tanaka manual tells you to oil them.
The reason for this is that sap can build up on the blades, the oil helps to keep the blade clean and keeps the blade cooler by reducing friction.

ed2hess
09-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Definitely have to hold the screw when you tighten the nut but many times I have to redo it a couple time. As you state that washer needs to be free spinning. Just makes good sense to oil the blades but frankly I don't think it matters. The failure mode is the gears and cams wear out in the gear box and those need to be greased a lot.

cariboulou
09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
yes i occasionally oil after a day of use, i agree it runs better. dont like the locking up though, very aggravating in the field.

loafycleetus
09-11-2009, 11:49 PM
degrease the bolts with brake cleaner and reassemble with blue loctite. this seems to work well for me.

ed2hess
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
degrease the bolts with brake cleaner and reassemble with blue loctite. this seems to work well for me.

That is probably a good idea!