PDA

View Full Version : Large residential accounts

m&mmowing
09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm going to try and break into these more this next year, I have one, and for the one mowing it's comes in at $150, a little underpriced, first time in a long time i bid something that large (2.5-3 acres). takes about 3 1/2-4 hrs

I'm thinking of mailing brochures to each house. After a brochure what should be the next step?

Cold call, door knock, post card? all 3?

There are several neighborhoods in my area that are largely untapped for these accounts surprisingly, and if I can pick up another 3-4 at the least (I think 50-60 of these homes are untapped at the moment) it would be a great way to really put me over the "hump" if you will.

How have you done it, how do you recommend me going about and doing it?

Classic cuts
09-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow!! $150.00 to mow that? Must be nice. Here in Michigan most of my accounts are 2-5 acre accounts and the most expensive one is $80.00 cut, but they dont take 3 hours to do. Most are done in about an hour or so.

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Don't cold call, that is just as bad as being a solicator (sp?), no one likes having someone call them trying to sell them on something. If you know which houses you would like to get, I'd go by the house, write an estimate of what it would be to mow on a post card and then mail it to them. You can also use google earth to help get an idea how big the properties are so you don't get burned on the deal.

tinman
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
A free calendar with nature scenes on it with your business info on it so they keep it year round instead of a flier which 99% of people trash immediately .

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I have one that is takes me 2 hours, 2-3 acres......$85 plus tax.........I hate cutting it...

cutbetterthanyou
09-12-2009, 08:09 PM
What do you cut with a 36 wb? I cut 8-10 acre place in about 3hrs. 2-3 acre
in about a hr.

topsites
09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I like the acre+ accounts too.

Money wise you got to stop and think, $150 for 3 acres is *%&^ good!

I am telling you, even thou your hourly rate drops, you make more money so long you stay working.

Peace

gene gls
09-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I have found that there is more money in smaller lawns. The smaller lawn oweners are willing to pay a higher price. Owners of large properties most often want the price of a small property.

m&mmowing
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
it's a 61 inch scag wildcat, and i'm really picky, so i doublecut almost everytime.
Also, there's a ton of trimming, prolly 20 trees, and the backside is fenced for pasture, and several beds, or a brush burn pit, and a pool that the inside area must be pushed mowed. That's why it takes so long.

And I do like the tradeoff of only 1 unload for a little bit less of $ per hour, so i take it.

Thank you for the advice

MNBOY
09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I have found that there is more money in smaller lawns. The smaller lawn oweners are willing to pay a higher price. Owners of large properties most often want the price of a small property.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. Although a large account here and there is nice when you don't have to load and unload and drive around, etc. So it can be pretty much a wash.

MikeKle
09-13-2009, 09:22 AM
I agree with the guy that said there is more money in smaller lawns, I got rid of all my large residentials, they were taking too long. Plus it adds much more wear and tear on the mowers. I prefer to do the 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots.

topsites
09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree with the guy that said there is more money in smaller lawns, I got rid of all my large residentials, they were taking too long. Plus it adds much more wear and tear on the mowers. I prefer to do the 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots.

That's the beauty of this industry, you can have the small lots, I take the large ones, it all works out.

And you might be right with the whole money thing but when I'm doing it
my way that keeps my mind at ease, and I find that's just as important.
Yup, even if I'm doing it wrong, so long I'm convinced that it's right, gtg lol

cpel2004
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Yup. My thoughts exactly. Although a large account here and there is nice when you don't have to load and unload and drive around, etc. So it can be pretty much a wash.

I would agree totally in my area. Its amazing here in FL, you have these huge Mediterranean Style homes on a 4000 sq foot lot. The houses barely will fit, the lot is just pack with shrubs every where. It takes much more time trimming and pruning to get the special manicured look. However most people are reluctant to pay for your time and dump fees.

I have found out I can do 3 to 4 homes at $30-40 a pop with less work and less headaches in the time I can do one of these nice homes.

I think you are correct, typically people in these large homes dont want to pay what its worth. I just put a bid on a home, at the time I didnt know what the current guy was charging. I put my bid at $350 willing to negotiate to $300. Billed out at $35-40 per labor plus dumping and chemicals. Well my jaw dropped when she told me her current LCO only charged 150 per month and she thought that was high. LOL, the life of a LCO professional. :cry:

zturncutter
09-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I would agree totally in my area. Its amazing here in FL, you have these huge Mediterranean Style homes on a 4000 sq foot lot. The houses barely will fit, the lot is just pack with shrubs every where. It takes much more time trimming and pruning to get the special manicured look. However most people are reluctant to pay for your time and dump fees.

I have found out I can do 3 to 4 homes at $30-40 a pop with less work and less headaches in the time I can do one of these nice homes.

I think you are correct, typically people in these large homes dont want to pay what its worth. I just put a bid on a home, at the time I didnt know what the current guy was charging. I put my bid at $350 willing to negotiate to $300. Billed out at $35-40 per labor plus dumping and chemicals. Well my jaw dropped when she told me her current LCO only charged 150 per month and she thought that was high. LOL, the life of a LCO professional. :cry:

I agree completely, here in Florida it seems you usually can make more money per hour on the mower. They never want to pay what the labor intensive details are worth.:confused: