PDA

View Full Version : dethacthing in fall

Green Growers
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Does anyone do any dethacthing in the fall or just in the spring?

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
09-11-2009, 09:12 PM
i do it both times of the year. depends on your area and grass. but i do it spring and fall. it also depends on the homeowner

Damian
09-12-2009, 12:48 PM
We start cutting lower and lower as the year winds up, but we don't dethatch. Maybe I don't understand it properly, but if you're in an area that can/does freeze in the winter, wouldn't this put the lawn at risk or is it just for certain types of grass, not including St. Augustine?

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I only dethatch in the spring. Like Damian, as the season starts to end I start cutting lower. I might, end up putting the dethatcher back on the mower in the fall, just to help push some leaves, but that is it.

TREEGUARD
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
We just started doing it this week as well as aerating & seed. Lawns around are not great this year too much rain lead to alot of fungus.

Green Growers
09-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I just did some research on the K state extension site, and they said the best way to speed up the break down of thatch is to aerate the lawn in a few directions.

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I just did some research on the K state extension site, and they said the best way to speed up the break down of thatch is to aerate the lawn in a few directions.

I wouldn't worry about aerating in a few directions unless you are getting paid more. But the best way to eliminate thatch is to dethatch in the spring and then aerate in the fall.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I think dethatching in the fall opens it up and it is suseptable to disease, correct? Do you not want to allow it to close up for the winter?

Damian
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
We just started doing it this week as well as aerating & seed. Lawns around are not great this year too much rain lead to alot of fungus.

I didn't think I'd ever find myself saying this, but I'm looking forward to seeing brownpatch over the next couple of weeks. We had gone so long without rain this year there were more yellow lawns than green...

Green Growers
09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
We have been blessed with rain all summer. Now I need it dry so I can seed this week.

Smallaxe
09-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Dead grass etc. is not thatch, it is rather potential nutrients and OM that should be cycled back into the lawn for healthy plants.

Thatch is living and dead roots and stems, tangled together at the surface, creating a water proof barrier to the soil. This is caused by over fertilization, with a constant supply of N on the surface.

Plugging is better in that the barrier is broken and the root have an opportunity to contact the soil again. Tearing up the roots at the surface is not advised by anyone any more.