PDA

View Full Version : Toro Z-400 problems

turf&tree
09-11-2009, 09:30 PM
If anyone owns one of these beauties I would like to know if you are having problems with it leaving uncut grass. We are using the overpriced mulching setup on ours. The blades are sharp, the belts are tight, the tilt is adjusted, the underside is clean and this piece of crap still won't cut all of the grass. I have talked to 2 Toro dealers and both of them said that it is a flaw in the deck design on the 48" models. I sometimes have to double cut certain properties.
On the plus side this thing is built like a Sherman tank, too bad it cuts like crap!!! The one Toro dealer said he had 2 more he was trying to get rid of and would make me a hell of a deal on them. He also tried to sell me a Ferris.
I am at the point where I will never buy another Toro product!! It has a 21hp engine and it seems underpowered, almost like I need a 8hp motor mounted to the deck just to drive the blades, but where the heck would I put my legs???
Very frustrated!!!

ohanyan1
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

ohanyan1
09-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Honestly, I have one and it has a beautiful cut. I just threw a Powerchute on it and it us a great machine. What exactly is it leaving uncut?
Posted via Mobile Device

C4chris70
09-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I notice that my 52 w/27hp Kohler cut great on lush lawns, but leaves uncut grass on thin or bare lawns. I have the 7 guage deck w/mulch kit. A friend has the same mower with the Turbo Force deck and has the same problem. Also leave bad clumps on floritam when wet.

AdamChrap
09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
First you are under powered for mulching! You need tons of power for mulching. I have Toro Turbo Force decks and they cut awesome but I do not mulch.

unkownfl
09-12-2009, 01:48 AM
I have the exact same mower with zero issues. 08 z400 21hp with 48 inch deck. I mulch bahia and st augustine. I have the toro kit with the correct mulching blades. Are you sure you have the right blades? You are not suppose to have any rake when you mulch so check your deck setup against the owners manual for mulching. I do not find the mower under powered at all and I have cut 6 inches off and mulched with no problem.

Tinkerer
09-12-2009, 02:07 AM
I cut a neighbors lawn with her 52" Z400. Its cut has never dissapointed me.

lawnboy dan
09-12-2009, 09:50 AM
mine cuts like crap too. always have to double cut . tried every blade combo

turf&tree
09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Lawnboy Day knows what I am talking about. I suppose different types of grass could affect it. It's Mostly thick bladed grass, Tall fescue and so forth. I just cross referenced and ordered a set of Gator blades for it. I am tired of dumping money into blades and other fixes. I wish there was a Toro rep that could chime in on this.

C4chris70
09-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I just cross referenced and ordered a set of Gator blades for it. I am tired of dumping money into blades and other fixes.

I tried gator blades but they cut worse. My dealer told me gators don't work with mulch kits.

AdamChrap
09-13-2009, 09:54 AM
First thin I would check in deck pitch. If you truly should have no rake to your deack angle and you put the kit on (or the dealer put it on) without changing the angle to 0 it will mess everything up.

brucec32
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
If anyone owns one of these beauties I would like to know if you are having problems with it leaving uncut grass. We are using the overpriced mulching setup on ours. The blades are sharp, the belts are tight, the tilt is adjusted, the underside is clean and this piece of crap still won't cut all of the grass. I have talked to 2 Toro dealers and both of them said that it is a flaw in the deck design on the 48" models. I sometimes have to double cut certain properties.
On the plus side this thing is built like a Sherman tank, too bad it cuts like crap!!! The one Toro dealer said he had 2 more he was trying to get rid of and would make me a hell of a deal on them. He also tried to sell me a Ferris.
I am at the point where I will never buy another Toro product!! It has a 21hp engine and it seems underpowered, almost like I need a 8hp motor mounted to the deck just to drive the blades, but where the heck would I put my legs???
Very frustrated!!!

I see you're in Ohio, which I assume means grass like bluegrass, which is often mowed fairly high. I mulch a lot down south and have noticed that on the Exmark 48" (very similar machine) ztr deck it would not mulch Tall Fescue cleanly much above 3" cutting height. Probably an issue of getting enough vaccum to stand the grass up to be cut cleanly. The same mowers mulch Bermuda at 1.5" beautifully, as well as Tall Fescue at 2.5" or so. It may just be that your grass isn't well suited for mulching. At least with that particular deck.

Also, 21hp on a 48" deck is plenty of power (despite the ridiculous claim from the poster who doesn't even mulch!) , even for mulching, so if it seems weak you may have a problem there. Not that many years ago these mowers had 17-18hp.

Finally, if your blade length and hole size is the same (I bet it is) try the Exmark "wavy" mulching blades from their mulch kit. I use them on a Gravely and it greatly improved mulching ability. I note the toro "recycler" blades seem to be a different design and they may not be up to the job.

lawnboy dan
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
gators give the best cut on mine using the mulch kit. i just dont think the sfs deck was desighned to mulch

AdamChrap
09-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Also, 21hp on a 48" deck is plenty of power (despite the ridiculous claim from the poster who doesn't even mulch!) , even for mulching, so if it seems weak you may have a problem there. Not that many years ago these mowers had 17-18hp.

:nono:

I should have stated that "I no longer mulch" instead of "I do not mulch". I had a Exmark 52" 23hp ZTR that I felt was under powered for mulching. I also had a much kit on my 52" Exmark WB that didn't mulch well.

turf&tree
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I know, I just put a set on my John Deere and them seemed to cut like crap with the bagger. I thought it was supposed to be Gator "Mulcher" We'll see.
If not I am going to scrap this P.O.S. or trade it in the first chance I get.
Thanks for all of the input.
Jim

unkownfl
09-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Gator blades are to mulch while side discharging. Toro recyclers or the exmark wavy are what you need. Adjust your deck, or you will loose your vacuum while mulching if it is pitched.

LCPullman
09-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Hmm, the pitch idea is interesting because for discharging at least a 1/8" forward pitch is advised. I have a mulching 48" turbo, haven't been real pleased with the cut, I will have to try a 0 degree pitch. The 48" turboforce seems to do great when discharging/bagging though.