PDA

View Full Version : curved shaft stick edger or straight

cpt87gn
09-11-2009, 09:35 PM
ived noticed that a lot of commercial stick edgers are curved not straight unlike the trimmers that are all straight why is that i just bought a shindiawa le261 of of ebay and i was just wondering since i never used one before and how quick does the blade wear out thank you

IamTheEcho
09-11-2009, 09:44 PM
So that you walk on the sidewalk instead of the grass. Depends on how much you use it.... about 5-10 hours of use I suposse

Kennedy Landscaping
09-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I wear out a blade or two a week. Course I don't run em too short so the gear box don't get drug along the ground.

bohiaa
09-11-2009, 11:25 PM
I too wanted a stright shaft for our edger, however was talked out of it because everyone said it will throw crap right in your face.

or you will ahve to stand one sided.

unkownfl
09-12-2009, 02:04 AM
I have both straight shaft is way better for over grown, but it a pia for beds. edger blades I change out about every 1-2 hours of use which comes out to be about 20 yards.

pg250
09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't understand the offset curve of edgers like the Shindys. When edging a curb it would put you walking in the street the way I see it. I have an account where cars are zipping by (way over the speed limit) 2 feet away from me and I'm on the grass! That account is what got me thinking about it; I am sure many of you enjoy the same experience of jumping out of your skin with your back to the traffic when somebody blows by you without moving over a little.

Richard Martin
09-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I just went from a curved to the straight shaft. There's really no difference for me. I have noticed though that the straight shaft edger will sit straight up when you set it on the ground where-as the curved usually fell over. Here's a pic of the two of them together.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00700.jpg

rlitman
09-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I've got the Stihl straight edger (on the Kombi shaft). Its more "open" than their curved shaft edger, but even so, it doesn't throw ANYTHING back at me. It does throw a little, straight forward. I like the open design, because it doesn't clog up with stuff (which is an issue I had with a previous stick edger).

BTW, the Stihl straight shaft edger has a wheel next to its gearbox, so you don't drag the gearbox on the ground (you can kind of see that in the above picture; its the white wheel, just barely in the shot). The curved shaft version doesn't have that.

Richard Martin
09-12-2009, 02:08 PM
BTW, the Stihl straight shaft edger has a wheel next to its gearbox, so you don't drag the gearbox on the ground (you can kind of see that in the above picture; its the white wheel, just barely in the shot). The curved shaft version doesn't have that.

You can see the white wheel a little better in this pic.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00709.jpg

SCAG POWER
09-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Most of the time , when i see some one using a stright shaft edger they are edging grass that has grown over the curb and is now on it's way into the street. I liked to have one but at this time just got to wait till things pick up.

bohiaa
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
awwww, now that's cute

B Gillespie
09-12-2009, 04:57 PM
For Stihl equipment, the curved shaft edgers spin the blade at twice the rpms (~8,000) and have a more closed gear box. Supposedly work better for weekly edging and a sharp line. The straight shaft models have a lower gear ratio to spin the blade about half as fast (~4,000) rpms and a more open gear box; both features make this model more suited to edge over grown areas. They also have a rubber flap to prevent debris from flying behind the blade.

I have an FC95 (straight shaft) like pictured earlier in this thread. It edges much better than anyone could with a trimmer and is faster as well. I do not think it produces lines as crisp as the curved shaft models, but I am very picky. I have asked to demo an FC75 to compare them. Mine is less than a month old and in the shop to get the carb adjusted. The low idle varies dramaticaly.

cpt87gn
09-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you for your input

Richard Martin
09-12-2009, 06:16 PM
awwww, now that's cute

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking when I got it. The manual tells me that I have to take the edger back to the dealer if the wheel needs to be replaced. Yeah. Right. :walking: