PDA

View Full Version : What is considered a professional quality mow

Staffordnurseries
09-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I read alot of posts here about professional quality mowing. My part of the green industry is a christmas tree farm, but my main job is a manufacturing quality manager. We benchmark against world class quality.

What is considered a professional mow? Mow pattern, lack of tire marks, trim edge,etc? What about the actual cut clean or ragged? What is considered an acceptable amount of clippings?

What do you folks bench mark against?

Think Green
09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Comparing apples to oranges here!!!
You are probably bound to state regulations on quality and health of trees being grown, and shipped across into other states for resale. Different entity here!!!
We are comparing grass of one type to another and what looks great in quality reflects the company doing the work.

lawncuttinfoo
09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
In this area you know it's one of the big "professional" companies by:
1. ruts
2. clumps
3. beveled edges with tons of weeds (from using a trimmer instead of an edger, I suppose they do not know why the machine is called an EDGER:))

Kiril
09-12-2009, 11:14 AM
1. ruts
2. clumps
3. beveled edges with tons of weeds (from using a trimmer instead of an edger, I suppose they do not know why the machine is called an EDGER:))

If you can't edge a lawn with a trimmer without beveling then you are in the wrong biz.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-12-2009, 04:41 PM
1. ruts
2. clumps

Can I ask what company that is? PM me if you want to keep it private.

Think Green
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
I have a question from all the LCO's who respond about the edger issue!!!
Maybe it is a grass type choice, but the only time that we even considered using an edger is when a customer hasn't done anything to their curbs and sidewalks for years.
After the initial cut is made, then the line trimmer is the most efficient tool for use. I want to be educated on the continued use and argument over the edger...?? I can line edge a 100 foot driveway with angles in 1/3 of the time that an edger can do it.. All of our employees have mastered the line trimmer................you give them a normal edger and they can't use them......................so why use them???
I agree that if a line trimmer can't be used to surfice a cut, then there isn't much experience behind the tool. Our edger's were purchased over 10 years ago. One still runs, and the other units are non-dedicated hand units. I haven't used either unit since we bought them... I cut Bermuda--Zoysia--Fescue--St. Augustine--Centipede with a line trimmer and never crack the edger out of the tool box.............no need!!!!!
What am I missing out on by not using this dinasour of a tool?????

Think Green
09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
The inherint things that come into thought is sprinkler heads........low voltage lighting wires...........uneven concrete............asphalt.............cracked sidewalks.........gravel.
Where does the edger come into play here without causing destruction that a line trimmer won't cause....?????

Kiril
09-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Where does the edger come into play here without causing destruction that a line trimmer won't cause....?????

To reestablish an edge where the turf has grown over the hardscape. Much easier and cleaner doing it with an edger.

THC
09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I think it's up to the customer.

Some give me gushing compliments, others nitpick and bout crap.

borwicks
09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
we only use a edger once to make a nice squared off cut with drives, sidewalks and such. After that we use the trimmer every week. you rotate the trimmer 90 degrees and hold it so the head is parallel to the turf at the edge.

Think Green
09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Hehehe!
Borwicks,
Thanks for the mental picture................The answer I am looking for is???
OOHHH!-ME!!
I have plenty of experiences with the line trimmer and the edger. I won't go into how long I have been doing this business, so it doesn't matter. I am interested in knowing, with the species of grasses such as Buffalo, Tall Fescues, Rye, or whatever species is being maintained, what is the big hoopla of using a edger. It seems that LCO's will hold their right hand over the Bible and swear by them. This device is excellent in the first cut instances, but for the remainder of the time, the thing isn't used all season long. In my area, there are so many experienced line trimmers around that if you ask about a edger, you will get dumb looks from the other pro's. Is it a matter of choice to use one, or is it a necessity to have one???? As said before, we own three, one of which still runs, the other unit sits in the tool box.............taking up space.
I can cut 45 and 90 degree bevels with a line trimmer........I don't need an edger. It is all about experiences. I can walk either direction.......with the curb or against the curb and cut the grass straight...!
I am trying to understand if other LCO's are doing edging to make more money per linear foot on a piece of property or is it really beneficial. That is all!!
If I am missing out on major extra money by edging by the foot, then our industry down here has been whooooooped a long time before I started in the 80's.
I have seen posts remarking on charging by the linear foot to do edging.............???? Why when it can be done quicker with a good line trimmer. This is by our experiences only!!!!!! Please ellaborate some more!!

ed2hess
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a question from all the LCO's who respond about the edger issue!!!
Maybe it is a grass type choice, but the only time that we even considered using an edger is when a customer hasn't done anything to their curbs and sidewalks for years.
After the initial cut is made, then the line trimmer is the most efficient tool for use. I want to be educated on the continued use and argument over the edger...?? I can line edge a 100 foot driveway with angles in 1/3 of the time that an edger can do it.. All of our employees have mastered the line trimmer................you give them a normal edger and they can't use them......................so why use them???
I agree that if a line trimmer can't be used to surfice a cut, then there isn't much experience behind the tool. Our edger's were purchased over 10 years ago. One still runs, and the other units are non-dedicated hand units. I haven't used either unit since we bought them... I cut Bermuda--Zoysia--Fescue--St. Augustine--Centipede with a line trimmer and never crack the edger out of the tool box.............no need!!!!!
What am I missing out on by not using this dinasour of a tool?????
And I have seen some pretty bad situations where St Augustine was overgrown onto the sidewalk and I cleaned it up with trimmers. It is all simply in learning how to use the tools.

bonefisher101
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
On small jobs I mite just use my trimmer instead of the edger just to save a little time on picking up two machines! On big jobs I take out the edger and get done faster.... you can pretty much run with an edger!!! Stick edger that is!

MOturkey
09-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I can edge with my trimmer, and generally do so on smaller strips like around a carport or short sidewalk, but I have problems with my back. It is bad enough trimming, but using the trimmer to do extensive edging exacerbates the problem.

Also, it seems to me it makes a difference the height of the cut and the thickness of the turf. Short, thinner grass seems to look about as good with the trimmer, taller, thick turf seems to look neater with the edger.

borwicks
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Think Green. Iam with you I only take it out for new customers. Other then that it sits. both of them. Keeping a nice clean edge is part of our premium package. other wise it just gets mowed with no trimming along the concrete edges. I think it looks like crap but beauty is in the eyes of the face its on.

SLMGT
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I think it's personal choice and ability. I've seen operators who could trim with a string trimmer and do a better job than other guys who use a stick edger. It's all about ability of the user. Personally I have to use an edger on sidewalks and drives that have been neglected. My son can us a string trimmer and get as good or better results.

93Chevy
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
My edger only gets used with a trenchblade for mulch work. Other than that, I run the string trimmer on every property to edge.

dishboy
09-13-2009, 05:45 PM
To reestablish an edge where the turf has grown over the hardscape. Much easier and cleaner doing it with an edger.

Or edging beds where bark or pea gravel will get thrown everywhere , or when a car is parked next to the curb and you can't see the edge , but the stick edger is ok by feel only. or on edges where the turf is substantially higher than the walk and you have heavy night crawler activity............

93Chevy
09-13-2009, 05:47 PM
where the turf is substantially higher than the walk and you have heavy night crawler activity............

Then work during the day. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

orlawncaresvc
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
this edger topic should of had it own thread