PDA

View Full Version : Perennial Seed Suppliers

prairie
04-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know where I can get seed for perennials to grow. I'm starting a nursary and am trying to get started. I'm mostly looking for Liriope and Coriopsis along w/ boxwood and barberry shrubs to get started..from seed

Thanks,

Prairie Landscape

BigJim
05-01-2002, 06:37 AM
Hi Prairie,some perennial plants are grown from seed,you generally have to get them from a mail order seed company,have a search on the internet,you should find plenty of sites,But most perennnial plants are grown from cuttings or you divide them up in the winter and grow new plants from splitting them up.Shrubs are generally grown exclusively from cuttings,this web site will give you some hints on propogating from cuttings http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b641-w.html ,
most libraries also have a good range of books on growing plants.There are also gardening clubs in most areas,you can join and meet a lot of experinced plant people.If there is a commercial nursery in your area you may be able to get a part time job there and learn from the experts.Hope thats some help,theres tons of information on the internet about plants too and its hard to beat having a go yourself,some trial and error and you should be growing plants like the experts.Cheers........

prairie
05-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I have a very established Landscaping Co and am not going to look for another job. I'm just throwing around the idea of starting a nursary. I will try to look at the info and see what I come up with.