PDA

View Full Version : Gravely XDZ 100 series or Tiger Cub

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Looking into buying my first ztr. I've heard great things about the scag, but it seems like I'll be getting a little less of a mower for more $. They want $7999 for it with a 48" 19 hp kawi and a 16 bushel bagger for $2599. On the other hand I'm wondering if anyone out there has or has used a Gravely XDZ and can tell me how it is. For the Gravely XDZ with a 48" and a 23hp kawi they want $6500 and a 12 bushel bagger for $1299. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciatted!

MeMowLawns
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
That price on the tiger cub seem kind of high for what they can be had for in my neck of the woods. I would say go ahead and save up for the scag because they are tanks and cut really well. On the other hand, I know a few people who really love their Gravely's and they are quite a bit cheaper. Atleast where you are

MeMowLawns
09-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Just called the local dealer and they want 7299 for one with the 19 kaw and 48 deck

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Was also thinking maybe 19hp was a little underpowered for that 1100 lb. machine, and ya I thought that price was a little rediculous, I'm not so sure that I'm fond of the dealer.

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-12-2009, 02:07 PM
How is the Briggs motor working for you? They also sell the Tiger Cub with a 26 Briggs and its actually a Whole Grand cheaper(WIERD). This guy is just giving me a lot of red flags.

GravelyNut
09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
We just delivered a unit ( 19 Kawi, 48", Cub ) as described for $6499+tax+credit. It was a special deal from Scag though. 19 HP is fine with the 48".

That said, there are a number of our customers running the 100 and 200 series Gravelys too. We sell them what they want or what we think will serve them best.

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
So can you tell me anything good or bad about the gravely model?

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Also if you could ship me one of those good deals on a Scag you've got yourself a sale.

MeMowLawns
09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I havent had any trouble at all with it, has plenty of power. There is alot of flack on this website about it because it isn't a TRUE commercial engine more of a high end homeowner. But, after 3 years haven't had a bit of trouble. Can't tell you how many hours I have on it, my hour meter only works when it wants too. I did during the first year put around 75 or so hours on it, I bought about a quarter way through season, before I noticed the hour meter said it took me about .2 hours to mow 2 acres. It'll mow pretty good but not that good. Guessing I have about 250 or so hours on it.

johnwon
09-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I just looked over the specs. real fast and see that Gravely has 12cc pumps where Scagg has 10cc pumps. The Gravely has full suspension seat where this Scagg does not. Looks like the same size wheel motors and same pto clutch too. Well you already know about the engine difference, but I like the 23hp over the 19hp and the 23hp Kaw. over the 26hp Briggs as well. I had the same choice to make a couple of years ago and back then decided to go with the Gravely. Only thing was, I ended up leaving with a 60" deck machine rather than the 48" I had decided on. I'm still happy with mine, I only mow my yard with it. I always look hard at the components that are installed on the machine when comparing one with another. The whole name brand thing, Scagg better than whoever is pretty short sighted. I'm sure you can compare a given Scagg and it will be better than a given whoever machine, but I can likewise take a given Scagg or any other name brand and pick another brand in a particular model that will be a better machine. I'm not picking on Scagg, because I do know that they build very heavy duty machines and are well respected by me.
PS; I assume you are looking at the Gravely 148XDZ and not the 148IM XDZ.

johnwon
09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
By the way, are you sure about that being a 23hp on that 148XDZ? The website shows a 21hp on the 148XDZ. Even with the 21hp on the 148XDZ, I'd still go with it over the other offerings Scagg has on the Tiger Cub.

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Ya you were right about the 21 hp, I guess the23 comes with the 152. I'm glad I found somebody who thinks that the Gravely is a better deal. There is a lot more beef on it and for cheaper $. I'm also curious about the bagging system do you have one on yours?

AcushnetLandscapeService
09-13-2009, 10:22 AM
BTW I love Skynrd I saw them in concert 6 or 7 years ago, it was great!

GravelyNut
09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Also if you could ship me one of those good deals on a Scag you've got yourself a sale.That was the last one of those we had. Person got a good deal in my oppinion. As for the 148, it is a good machine. Advantage of the Scag over the Gravely is the greaseable bearings on most spindle bearings. I'm old school and a shot of grease a day with adjustable taper rollers will always beat sealed ball bearings.
It mostly depends on your area and type of grasses but some decks cut better in the south than the NE. Ask to demo the units you are interested in and go with the one that suits you best.

All that said, my last NEW mower purchase was a Gravely.

If you're interested in one of the Tiger Cats, that can be arranged. Don't know if we can get any more Cubs.

johnwon
09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Ya you were right about the 21 hp, I guess the23 comes with the 152. I'm glad I found somebody who thinks that the Gravely is a better deal. There is a lot more beef on it and for cheaper $. I'm also curious about the bagging system do you have one on yours?

No, I don't have a bagging system. I feel it would fill-up too fast and I'd wear in a road in my yard dumping it so often. I use to have one on my Craftsman lawn tractor and feel this would be worse as for dumping it all the time. And GravelyNut makes a good point about demoing the machines if they are available. I have not read any complaints with the X-Factor decks for any of the areas, but it would not hurt to do a search. Thanks for the compliment on the Skynyrd song. That was so well done at that concert.

BigMike450
09-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Message sent.

scagmanjosh
09-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I havent had any trouble at all with it, has plenty of power. There is alot of flack on this website about it because it isn't a TRUE commercial engine more of a high end homeowner. But, after 3 years haven't had a bit of trouble. Can't tell you how many hours I have on it, my hour meter only works when it wants too. I did during the first year put around 75 or so hours on it, I bought about a quarter way through season, before I noticed the hour meter said it took me about .2 hours to mow 2 acres. It'll mow pretty good but not that good. Guessing I have about 250 or so hours on it.

I had the same problem with a flaky hour meter on my Tiger Cub, same Briggs engine. Had it replaced under warranty, seems to be working a lot better now. However, cranking at low RPMS, the meter may not start running until you throttle up ( you can tell it counting when the little hourglass starts blinking). Also, for some odd reason, when you engage the blades the meter stops blinking for a little, then usually comes back after a minute or so...... does yours do this?

moultonmulcher
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a 148 with the bagging system. I really like it but 21 horses is not enough to run the blower for the bagging system. It is unreal how much the blower pulls the RPMs down. But as long as you cut every week it is not to much of a problem. It is great for getting up leaves. I run gators for leaves and OME blades the rest of the time. I got about 150 hrs on it and only had one small problem that the dealer took care of while I waited. Make sure it has the Michigan seat. Mine does not and I wish it did. Called dealer for price, $525. Can't justify it right now. Other than not enough horses I really like the mower.

La_Cutter
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
How is the Gravely cut and mulch as compared to the Scag on southern grasses?