PDA

View Full Version : hose & liquid apps

blade11
09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
We recently purchased a used 100 gal spray tank. We have fertilized for several years now but never liquid. I am looking to replace the hose that came with our unit and am seeking recommendations on what to get. I know what is on there now is 1/2".

Also, I am looking to apply a liquid app. for weed control on my problem yards this fall. What would you suggest using? Is there a combination weed control/fertilizer that I could use for this? Thanks in advance for the advice.

lka123
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I use 3/8 hose 400' with 1/2 it weighs a lot!! the more you get pulled out. I dont know if there is a product that has both post and pre. in one. I use a broadleaf and a pre-m that i mix together at the time Iam filling my tanks.

RigglePLC
09-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Weed control only--then 3/8 is fine. Low-volume about 1 gal per minute. But if you plan to mix liquid fertilizer you need more volume, you need half inch. Try to get about 3 to 4 gals per minute. 300 feet is about right. Remember you lose a certain amount of pressure as the fluid flows through the hose due to friction loses.

At around 400 feet you need to pull with a strength of 100 pounds to pull out more hose.

CHARLES CUE
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
We us 3/8 hose never used 1/2 we spray fert and 3 way and pre ind the spring but it all depends on what kind of fert your going to spray. fert with high salt take more water so they dont burn the grass
look at tractor supply they have liquid fert and 3way herbicide that will clean up your yard
Charles Cue

Hissing Cobra
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
We used to use 3/8" hose for lawns and 1/2" hose for trees and shrubs. The smaller 3/8" hose is much easier to pull, especially if you're on a 30,000 sq. ft. lawn and have to pull it around trees, or other obstacles. We would calibrate it to spray at 2 gallons per minute and that would cover 1,000 sq. ft. By the end of the day, we would normally have 100,000 sq. feet done and our arms would be tired. I couldn't imagine pulling the 1/2" hose all day.

txgrassguy
09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I just had to change out my 3/8" hose as it finally sprung more leaks than Obama's health care plan.
Upsized to a 1/2" three wall hose from Rittenhouse. Paid $312.00 for 300 feet delivered - best price I could find for a true pesticide hose instead of that Lesco cheapie that came with the skid sprayer.
Yes the larger hose weighs more but the benefits far out weigh the additional resistance of a larger diameter hose.
Calibration is also much easier, more due to the integrity of the new hose I'm sure but I also picked up another 25' of height for tree spraying.
Haven't hooked it to my walk behind boom sprayer yet.