PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion(s) for Referrals

RV_Landscaping
04-30-2002, 05:23 PM
I am a part time guy.... Expanding a bit this year...But I don't have the knowledge to be able to take care of Fertilizing (etc.)

In the past I've just suggested customers call the 'commercial' Pesticide/Fertilizing companies...But, often they just shrug it off and do nothing....Any suggestions on any decent/big chains that r anygood? Or maybe I should just take the time to learn about all this stuff and do it myself(?)

Or...would it be OK to ask another local LCO who does fertilizing if I can refer people to him for the Fertilizing(?) The only problem with that is I run the risk of losing the account altogether....

bruces
04-30-2002, 05:25 PM
You can probably find someone in you area who just does applications and doesn't want to mow.

That would allow you to develop cross referrals - he might refer maintenance customers to you.

Runner
04-30-2002, 11:22 PM
Man, I wish you were up here! That's what I've been doing, is targeting these lawn co's. and getting work from them. They can't beLIEVE the grass they are now cutting. This helps them look good, and helps US look good as well. It's just as well, because a commercial mower is pretty much required to cut our lawn now, anyway. Not because of the length, but because of the thickness.

MATTHEW
05-05-2002, 10:53 PM
I would stay away from the big "chain-type" lawncare outfits. They tend to be less concerned with the customer and more concerned with volume. Look for a local guy with credentials such as several years on the job, nice looking equipment and, of course, a valid pesticide licence. I fit in that category and I must give superior service and results or my income is gone. I get 95% of my new business from referrals and feed my subcontracted landscapers that way. This type of personal referral system is preferred to suggesting a cold call. Good luck.