PDA

View Full Version : Honda HHT25S Trimmer

John deer Z
09-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Has anyone on here had any experience with these 4 cycle trimmers?

I am faced with replacing a trimmer and with all the problems the 242 shindawa has given me not sure what to go with? I have looked at the styl 100 and 110 just not sure about weight and power?

Can any one help?

Diamond Dave
09-12-2009, 09:52 PM
We run all Honda 25's at work. They have been good trimmers. A little heavy over your typical 2 stroke, and a little light on power compared to a comparable 2 stroke, but plenty to do typical weekly/biweekly trimming. They are great on fuel, a tank lasts about 2x as long as a 2 stroke. The heads Honda offers suck in my opinion, but we just replace with another style when the stockers wear out. All in all they are good and we will continue to use them.

John deer Z
09-12-2009, 11:22 PM
We run all Honda 25's at work. They have been good trimmers. A little heavy over your typical 2 stroke, and a little light on power compared to a comparable 2 stroke, but plenty to do typical weekly/biweekly trimming. They are great on fuel, a tank lasts about 2x as long as a 2 stroke. The heads Honda offers suck in my opinion, but we just replace with another style when the stockers wear out. All in all they are good and we will continue to use them.

Which head did you replace them with?

milo
09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
i had a honda 4 stroke but it was the stronger model. it was heavy but very smooth and quiet and just like last guy said power was down.

John deer Z
09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
i had a honda 4 stroke but it was the stronger model. it was heavy but very smooth and quiet and just like last guy said power was down.

So what trimmer do you all sugest for best weight to power ratio?

Diamond Dave
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
We have used the Stihl quickload (POS) and the Echo head. Want to try the Shindiawa speed feed head next.

John deer Z
09-12-2009, 11:45 PM
We have used the Stihl quickload (POS) and the Echo head. Want to try the Shindiawa speed feed head next.

The speed feed head is what I have on all my trimmers. Great head quick to load and smooth operation. Which styl trimmers do you operate?

milo
09-13-2009, 12:58 AM
So what trimmer do you all sugest for best weight to power ratio?
the best power to weight trimmer, hands down no matter what anyone tells you is a husqvarna 323 or 326 either one.. other great ones but not as light or powerful are stihl fs80r, echo 260 and you will hear all the redmax boys chirp in but power to weight they dont compete in this class..
the drawback is the husqvarna is tougher to pull when starting. stihl fs80r starts like super super easy, echo like in between. all these trimmers like 300.00 to 330.00 to buy..
you could go cheaper with lower echo or redmax but the lowest redmax trimmer is light but has very little power so i prefer the echo cheap one

Alan0354
09-13-2009, 04:18 AM
I have the Honda bigger HHT31S. The trimmer itself is ok. I would not suggest buying Honda because I have problem with Honda honoring warrante. They refuse warrante on the carb that turn out to have metal fragments inside!!!! I don't like the Honda head either.

If you want Honda 4 cycle, get the Husqvarna 324Lx. IT is lighter than Honda HHT25.

That said, I have the GX25 on my Mantis, it is easy to start, very quiet. AIt can run in all position but it can not be stored for extended amount of time with cylinder lying on the side or upside down as oil at rest will sip through the rings into the combusion chamber. The next time you start the engine, it would be harder to start and smoke for a minute after starting until the oil burn off.

John deer Z
09-13-2009, 09:17 AM
The dealer I use close to me has Shindawa, Styl, Kawasaki, and Honda. Out of those choices which brand and what model seems to be the best for reliability and power and low vibration. You can leave out the 242 shind. that is not a option.

Diamond Dave
09-13-2009, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE= Which styl trimmers do you operate?[/QUOTE]

All Honda here. Used to run Stihl FS85 and were great, but I don't think they make those anymore.

milo
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
well out of those 3 i would say stick with shindaiwa

pg250
09-13-2009, 01:22 PM
What problems have you had with the 242?

Alan0354
09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
The dealer I use close to me has Shindawa, Styl, Kawasaki, and Honda. Out of those choices which brand and what model seems to be the best for reliability and power and low vibration. You can leave out the 242 shind. that is not a option.

No body can beat Honda GX25 smoothness and low vibration....Period. That said, I do not recommend Honda brand, not only they are not good in warrante, they are all cable drive too and very heavy. Not Husky dealer close by? 324 Have Honda engine and light weight of Husky. I don't like the Honda head. There is no divider and you have to be careful winding to avoid string binding. I would never go back to this after using the Shindaiwa speed feed head.

What problems with T242? I really like my M242. You are making me nervous!!!! Yes Honda trimmer make Shindaiwa a good vibrator!!!!:laugh:

John deer Z
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I bought my trimmer at mayos a year and a half ago and sense then I have had to have the carborator cleaned 3 times, a new clutch assembly put in,
a new drive shaft (splines wore off shaft),gear at head replaced. So I will ask has any of you all had problems out of your 242 shinda? Was wondering if any of you all have used the 282? I love the speed heads and the reliable starting of the shindawa. I have been told by the Mayos service dep. that that weed eater has been worked on more than any other pc of equipment the have worked on this year!

Alan0354
09-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Carb problem is mainly Wabro responsibility. Wabro is really bad. My Honda trimmer carb failed in 8 months. That was the time when Honda refused warrante. I end up paying $85 to replace the carb( after a shouting match with the dealer). The new carb still don't work very well. I end up opened the old carb just to find METAL FRAGMENTS inside the carb and the jets was blocked!!! I have to use guitar string to poke it open!!!! I put it back on the trimmer and it work!!:hammerhead::hammerhead::rolleyes:

The head problem is disturbing though. I would like to hear other people's experience to see whether you got a lemon or 242 is really a lemon.

milo
09-13-2009, 04:42 PM
go to stihl website or echo website and do a search for a dealer or home depot has the echo go get it there

milo
09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
The head problem is disturbing though. I would like to hear other people's experience to see whether you got a lemon or 242 is really a lemon.[/QUOTE]

hes not talking the engine head, he means the trimmer head

93Chevy
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I recently made a hand drawn chart of the "entry-level" commercial trimmers. I have a powerhouse right now, and my be looking for something lighter next year. Anyway, of all the "low-power" trimmers, the Husky 323L weighs in at 9lb (mfg. rating) with a 24.5cc 2 cycle engine putting out 1.2HP (mfg rating). It is the lightest of the trimmers I looked at. From the mfg ratings, the FS80R has the highest HP rating at 1.27HP, and weighs in at 10.8 lb. (mfg rating).

I looked at Tanaka, Stihl, Echo, Red Max, Shindaiwa, Husqvarna, and Kawasaki. I compared their lowest-powered straight shaft trimmer rated for commercial/light commercial use.

Hope that helped.

jkilov
09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
The dealer I use close to me has Shindawa, Styl, Kawasaki, and Honda. Out of those choices which brand and what model seems to be the best for reliability and power and low vibration.
Well... stihl and shindy would be my top picks, since you don't want another shin it narrows down a bit:

Stihl FS 80, Shindaiwa T260, Kawasaki 27A (don't get 27B) <- these should be all fine for regular trimming.

Then you brought up 4-strokes: Robin makes a 25cc 4-stroke, as does shindy, stihl(28cc) and honda

93Chevy
09-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Here you go...

mjealey
09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
John deere z,

Like I was telling you, the 242 is by far the best trimmer I have ever owned. I bought mine last June/July and have used it nonstop. Absolutlely no problems and runs great every time. Only thing I have done is grease the gear case. It is funny how it can be bad for one person and great for the next. I have 100's of hours on mine. Replaced the Stihl's I had and Shindy blowers now too.

John deer Z
09-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I like the trimmer but I am not theonly one having problems. Like I said the service guy at mayos said it had been their #1 work on trimmer all year.i like the trimmer when it is running!

John deer Z
09-14-2009, 07:58 AM
:gmctruck::gmctruck: