PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Advice

GeorgiaBorn
09-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey there. My search is continuing for a ZT. I recently looked at Swisher but was told by a few of you fine people that it would make a nicer lawn ornament than a mower. Today I looked at a Bad Boy at TSC.

The manager there told me the one he had out front was last year's model. It has a 60" deck and looks like it is built like a tank. I think the model number of this was ZT2660 or ZTR 6000. It had both numbers on it. I do know that is has the B&S engine. I have about 3 acres. Here are my questions:

1) I know that this ZT can handle my horse pasture but how well will it cut the bermuda in my front yard? I like a nice yard and don't want it looking hacked.

2) What is your overall feelings about Bad Boy mowers? Are they a good brand compared to Toro, Deere, etc?

3) The manager at TSC told me that the one he has was bought and returned within 48 hours because it was too much to handle by the person that bought it. He said he would sell it to me for $3900. Is this a reasonable price?

4) I looked under the cutting deck and all three blades had visible rust on them. Is this an indication that this mower has been sitting in the rain for an extended period of time? Is this something that should concern me?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to be sure I am getting a good deal on a GOOD ZT before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for you help!

Scout113
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I would tell you that this mower should be great for you and the yard you have to mow. I have the eXmark Quest (eXmark equal to the mower you're looking at) and its a great machine but I find it too small and slow for my 5 acres. I don't know your situation but I would go the commercial route and get a bigger faster mower.

On the other hand, the price sounds really good for the one you're looking at. Just my two cents...
Posted via Mobile Device

zman2307
09-12-2009, 06:42 PM
that's a well built mower. does it have any warranty on it? you might buy the NEW warranty with it if they have one that covers commercial usage. that's like $1100 off a brand new one. Not a bad price at all.

Pietro
09-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Look at how many people are saying they give a horrible cut. Leaving strands of uncut grass, clumping. You get what you pay for. There is a reason bad boy mowers are thousands less than others. I wont ever buy one.

zman2307
09-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Look at how many people are saying they give a horrible cut. Leaving strands of uncut grass, clumping. You get what you pay for. There is a reason bad boy mowers are thousands less than others. I wont ever buy one.

could you post a link to these threads please?

Rhinox29
09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
I have been running Badboy mowers for years. They are excellent mowers and well built. The TSC zt model is the residential model. But, it is built the same way as the commercial units. I cut bermuda with no problems. I have nothing but good things to say about BB

retrodog
09-12-2009, 10:07 PM
That is a heck of a price on that machine. I know around 180 BB Owners, and they are all happy with the cut and their machines. As far as the rust around the blades, no big deal I wouldn't even worry about it, worst case scenario get a new set of blades. I leave mine in the rain all the time. You will be very happy with that mower. I cut mainly bermuda with no issues at all. Your more comparable deere or toro will be closer to the $6500 to $7000 range. I will put my mowers up against any of the other brands any day (I run 3 of them myself).

kb9nvh
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
The mowers not bad at all, but likely the set up from the dealer is lacking.
I had a few issues with mine I had to address myself. The BB mower is a great value and will last forever....you wont regret buying one.

h0mr12
09-12-2009, 10:58 PM

I think some of that comes along with the groundspeed the badboys have. Just because they can run 15 mph doesn't mean you have to mow like that. I was guilty of it myself to a degree.
I watched the crew mowing my place of work the other day. They do a decent enough job but I was suprised how slow they went. I would had the whole place mowed quicker then the 2 Kubotas did.
I initially wasn't overly impressed with my badboy's cut niether, but when I found 4 psi difference in tire pressure and a deck that was over an inch off, side to side, it's not going to cut real pretty. Afew simple adjustments and now the wifey just thinks I have somehow learned to drive the ztr better.:laugh:

MS_SURVEYOR
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM

I'd like to see those post my self. I have read some having minor issues with turning around without tearing a little turf. Most of that was people learning how to drive a powerful ztr. I had the same problems myself. But now I'm slick as a baby's rear end. But leaving strands of uncut grass and clumping? Naw! Here some pictures of my mother in law's St Augustine lawn.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/June-12-2009019.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/June-12-2009018.jpg

No uncut grass or clumping here!

Then there my Bahia trash lawn.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/September12009020.jpg

The cut on the left, the uncut on the right. Bahia no uncut grass or clumping that I see.

Not bad considering what we started with.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/PhotoMoto0151.jpg

I still didn't see any uncut grass or clumping!

I did try to fine a different blade for a better cut.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/September12009008.jpg

Before

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu216/MS-SURVEYOR/September12009017.jpg

After

I love my Bad Boy Pup!

ms

GeorgiaBorn
09-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Wow, you guys are a great resource. Thanks so much for all the input.:usflag:

I think I will probably go get this zt. Thanks again fellas. Any other input is more than welcomed.

GeorgiaBorn
09-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd like to see those post my self. I have read some having minor issues with turning around without tearing a little turf. Most of that was people learning how to drive a powerful ztr. I had the same problems myself. But now I'm slick as a baby's rear end. But leaving strands of uncut grass and clumping? Naw! Here some pictures of my mother in law's St Augustine lawn.

No uncut grass or clumping here!

Then there my Bahia trash lawn.

I love my Bad Boy Pup!

ms

Thanks so much for the pictures. What kind of Bad Boy do you have? How long have you had it?

MS_SURVEYOR
09-13-2009, 01:55 AM
Whoo! Hold on! You're right! I don't have any mowing issues as far as clumping, dumping, or uncut grass strips. I looked at the ZT series. I really don't think there would be any mowing issues. But I didn't like the engines offered. The Briggs ELS and the Kohler Courage have their share of problems. I went the the Pup series, with the 52 inch deck, and a 30hp Kohler Command PRO. It wasn't the horse power. But the rated life of the engine.

Here's the Bad Boy web site.

http://www.badboymowers.com/contacts.php

Give them a call. TECHNICAL SUPPORT is good. Ask them what they think about the Zt and engine choices. ROBERT PATTERSON is another great resource. He's been straight up with me. I'm not saying that mower at that price won't last you 10, 15, 20 years. But be sure no matter what you do is get a WARRANTY in writing beyond a sale slip.

Hey! pm me. We can get together. I'd be glad to talk to you. When I bought mine it was one heck of a lot of money for me. Things don't come easy for my wife and I.

Good Luck,

ms

GeorgiaBorn
09-13-2009, 10:21 PM
One last question for you MS. I assume you have a mulching kit on your BB?

I bought the ZT from TSC today with the 4 year service contract. Feel like I got a great deal. It's a 2008. I need to get a mulching kit for it. Can't have the grass in my horse pasture shooting out the sides. I either need to mulch or bag and really don't want to spend the money on a bagging system.

Do you know of a place that sells the mulching kits? Thanks again for all your help.

dwost
09-13-2009, 10:43 PM

Pietro, you really need to think before your type. Your response is a perfect example of people spewing BS about something they really know nothing about. Maybe you have demo'd one and had a bad experience and if you have I apologize if you had a bad experience. I've got SEVERAL posts on here including close up pics of the cut quality. Do a search you will find them. Please post up some pics of the "bad cut" and clumping that you speak of :)

No mower is perfect but the BB will hang with any other brand on the market period and do it at a lower price. That price you were quoted is great for that mower. The ZT model is not a "full blown" commercial mower, but it IS built like a tank and should serve you for many years.

As for the rusting on the blades, this is typical if the mower is not being used. Check the body as that will show signs of sitting outside in areas where it will rust around bolts and any areas with exposed metal. If the underside of the deck looks like it was lightly used and there are no major signs of abuse on the frame, body, and motor I'd say go for it. I've posted several responses with pics including close ups of cut quality with the AOS deck. I've experimented with several blade configurations and you can alter the results GREATLY with some minor tweaking based on the types of grass you are cutting.

GeorgiaBorn
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks dwost. Tell me what you know about the advanced chute system or any other kind of mulching that is available for my 2008 ZT. I have to mulch or bag and I don't want to bag so mulching is my only option.

Does the advanced chute system when closing off the side discharge allow those gator blades to mulch? I am mowing only two kinds of grass. Kentucky 31 in my pasture and bermuda in my yard.

Thanks again!

MS_SURVEYOR
09-13-2009, 11:22 PM

I bought the ZT from TSC today with the 4 year service contract. Feel like I got a great deal. It's a 2008. I need to get a mulching kit for it. Can't have the grass in my horse pasture shooting out the sides. I either need to mulch or bag and really don't want to spend the money on a bagging system.

Do you know of a place that sells the mulching kits? Thanks again for all your help.

Cool GeorgiaBorn! You got a 4 year service contract. WOW!

Naw! I don't mulch. I could at my mother in law's, but with Bahia grass growing 4 to six inches a week, and seed shoots 12 inches every week I'd choke the deck to a stop. Bad Boy is the only place to buy a mulching kit, but I don't see where they offer one for the ZT!

Just watch how you turn around. Don't come to a stop and turn 180 around. Come to the end of the row and turn left or right. Then back up with both wheels until you line up with the uncut row. Then ease forward in to the row. This will keep you from tearing turf.

Have you been to the Bad Boy site?

GeorgiaBorn
09-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Yea, been to the BB site several times and you're right, it doesn't appear that they offer the mulching kit for the ZT but they do say that the Advanced Chute System also serves as a mulching system.

I will call them tomorrow for clarification but I assume that they are referring to the fact that the chute system can completely block the side discharge, which would cause the clipping to stay in the cutting deck resulting in a mulching.

kb9nvh
09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I have the ACS and it dont know about mulching but it serves to lays down a line of clippings that has to be gone back over. I find mine hard to close but easy to reopen. The close motion is unnatural for me and I guess I need to do more butterflies to get more strength in that direction...LOL

Yea, been to the BB site several times and you're right, it doesn't appear that they offer the mulching kit for the ZT but they do say that the Advanced Chute System also serves as a mulching system.

I will call them tomorrow for clarification but I assume that they are referring to the fact that the chute system can completely block the side discharge, which would cause the clipping to stay in the cutting deck resulting in a mulching.

chrisduryea
09-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Check the pivot bolts where the ACS pivots as if they are too tight or too loose it makes it hard to open or close. Also a small amount of lubrication between the nylon washer helps.

lawnkingforever
09-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Every time I go into Tractor Supply I look at that BB mower and always womdered if it would hold up to commercial use. A friend of ours runs a youth center with 2 ballfields and wants me to maintain it next year as they are unhappy with their current LCO. I looked at a Ferris ZT, but after seeing the price I wrote off the whole subject. With all of the good comments and the lower price of the BB I may pull the trigger on one.

Scout113
09-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Lawnking,

I would look at a pup if that's your plan as its going to be a deeper deck and faster speed. I'm not saying the TSC Bad Boy won't do the trick but you're gonna be there a lot longer than you want to be b/c the speed of that mower isn't that great (7 mph top end). Again just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device

kb9nvh
09-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Is it a true 7mph? or advertised?
My scag cub would probably go 8mph and that was a pretty respectable speed for cutting.
Nothing like cutting at 11mph to get the job done though...really nice to have that available when the yard is smooth enough to move that fast. Serious time saver and I really cant say the cut suffers or changes much from going from 8mph to 11mph.

Mrplowcjc
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
How many hours do you have on your bad boy. Did you ever try the 72" lightning.

AStout
09-18-2009, 07:36 PM

GeorgiaBorn,

I have a horse pasture that I cut all the time with my Bad Boy. Why do you feel you need to bag or mulch? Is there a risk to the horses with the cut grass? I've had horses for about 5 years and have always just cut the pasture when it needs it. They do a great job keeping the edible grass mowed themselves, so I'm usually just cutting stuff they don't normally eat anyway.

But, if I'm risking their health or something, I'd like to understand that! :confused:

Thanks,

AStout