PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Question

LushGreenLawn
09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Hey Guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on this.

I have noticed that all of my 2 cycle equipment seems to take a different NGK spark plug. I have always ordered the plug that was in the machine when I needed a replacement. I do not go through many spark plugs, so I hate to have one of each on hand all the time, like I do with air/fuel filters and such.

Upon looking through the Champion Catalog, I noticed they specify the exact same champion spark plug number for all of my equipment, and actually for all of the 2 cycle equipment that I saw in the catalog. I cannot remember the number off hand.

Why is it that NJK seems to make a ton of different plugs for this stuff, and champion only makes one. Are you sacrificing anything going to one plug for all? I am a little concerned, because from what I have been told, even though a spark plug fits into the hole, does not mean its the right one, and that if its too hot it can burn your piston. Apparently my dad had this happen back in the day with chainsaws when he was a logger.

What do you think of switching? I would like to keep a couple of the same plug in inventory in my shop if its safe for all of my equipment.

BTW, I havew a mix of Echo, Tanaka, Kawasaki, and Sthil equipment. well, plus a crappy homelite chainsaw.

Breezmister
09-12-2009, 09:16 PM
What do you think of switching? I would like to keep a couple of the same plug in inventory in my shop if its safe for all of my equipment.

CJ8 ? I have NGK,Bosch and Champions at the shop, but for the most part only use the Champions because I can get them in a Shop Pack cheap

I have the NGK spark plug catalog at work and they have soooo many different plugs for the same application :confused:

I use the CJ8 in just about every 2 cycle unless some one wants a different plug, except the Stihls. For what ever reason, they work better with Bosch plugs.

IMHO, You shouldn't have a problem getting a season out of the change.

topsites
09-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Why do you think I bought all Champion plugs in bulk? :laugh:

I used to not mind carrying a plug for every machine until ...
I got so many dang machines I can't list them all if I tried, it takes me hours just to do an inventory,
oh I'm solo but they just built up over the years.

We're talking 2 chainsaws, 4 trimmers, 2 edgers, 3 mowers, an aerator, a tiller, a stump grinder,
2 backpack blowers, 2 handheld blowers, 2 push blowers, a hedge trimmer, 2 cars and a truck.
I am telling you I am half sure I'm forgetting at least one thing.

You get the idea, how tired I got of trying to keep up with all of the parts for that (*%&^!
I just could not keep up any more, I had parts I had no clue what it went to.
So I HAD to simplify things, a lot.

Now I have three types of plugs around, one kind fits every larger machine,
another every hand held, and then there's one for the odd threads.

I never have to remember what plug where, just is it a 2-cycler or the other kind,
and like I said the odd thread one (I think 3 or 4 of my machines take that).
Soon as I pull the old one, I know which one of 3 it is, I only have to carry a few with me.
> Replacing ALL my spark plugs once a year also helps considerably, I almost never have to replace one mid-season.

Hell yeah, I also run 10w-30 synthetic in everything, for that same reason.
A machine runs low on oil, omg what kind of oil does it take, yes it doesn't matter it's 10w-30 synth :p
Of course I still have some parts I have no clue what it goes to.

pugs
09-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Not sure what Champion book you are looking at but the ones I have show tons of different plugs for all the 2 cycle stuff...

LushGreenLawn
09-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Not sure what Champion book you are looking at but the ones I have show tons of different plugs for all the 2 cycle stuff...

I was looking at the book at wal-mart. There were different plugs listed, but it was like, cj8, another number for their EZ Start, and another number for a different style of plug they offer, but if you stayed with the same syle, for example, the EZ Start, they all took the same number in that style.

Jay Ray
09-13-2009, 05:09 PM

If Toppy has solved the alphabet soup problem, I'm all for it.

topsites
09-14-2009, 05:46 AM
If Toppy has solved the alphabet soup problem, I'm all for it.

Yeah, without going downstairs and looking it up, the only thing I can recall at
this time is the RJ-12YC fits MOST larger engines but...

You have to really look closely, not just the thread but how far IN the engine it goes...
It could be critical, if one goes too deep.

You'd be surprised thou, at least I was...
Just how many different types of plugs out there, turn out to be identical to each other.
Oh I'm sure someone will feed me the stuff about the heat range and specifications or what have you,
but looking at them side by side, and running them interchangeably, at least to me they are identical.

Don't know how many I have now, I bought 60+ of those RJ-12yc's at one time :p
I had to look for a while, but when I found them in bulk they cost me like 40-50 cents each...
That was the other reason, so far it has worked out well.

LushGreenLawn
09-14-2009, 07:51 AM
How often do you have spark plug failures. I have never had a failure that I could contribute to a spark plug alone. Usually, its carb, fuel line, or something simple like that, and I end up changing the spark plug, air, and fuel filters for the heck of it.

Breezmister
09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I have never had a failure that I could contribute to a spark plug alone.

And chances are you never will. I don't know what kind of hours spark plus are rated for, but if you change them out at the begging of every season, you might put 300 to 500 hours a year maybe.....But plugs do fail, I had one this year, and that is out of 500 plus units crossing my bench.

DT Lawn Care
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, without going downstairs and looking it up, the only thing I can recall at this time is the RJ-12YC fits MOST larger engines.

RC12YCs fit most engines with OHVs. A LOT of small engines without OHV take J19LM, and most 2-Strokes will take a CJ8 or CJ8Y (those are all Champion).

Of course not all take these, like the old Suzuki engines on old Toros from like the 80's take a N9YC, I took this one to Napa, and the guy hadn't even heard of it :laugh: And my Deere 14SE with a Kawasaki takes a N11YC.

I usually use Champions on my mowers, but I have been using NGKs on my 2-strokes, all of them except my Hedge Trimmer take a NGK BPMR7A, my Hedge Trimmer takes a BPMR4A.

Now Bosch is out of the question, the same plug I can get in Champ or NGK for like $1.50 or $2 is $3.50 or more in Bosch :dizzy:

DT Lawn Care
09-14-2009, 09:26 PM
How often do you have spark plug failures. I have never had a failure that I could contribute to a spark plug alone. Usually, its carb, fuel line, or something simple like that, and I end up changing the spark plug, air, and fuel filters for the heck of it.

I have only had ONE really FAIL. It was the last lawn of the day (thank god) and my blower wouldn't start. Luckily the account was an older guy that I talk to all the time, and he had an electric blower that I used.

Like I said I have only had one really FAIL. My uncle said he had his mower just stop running, changed the plug and it ran great :hammerhead: BUT I have had harder starting and uneven idle even because of older fouled plugs. I used to have an MTD Pro 21" with castors, Honda engine, and after about a year or two, it would barely start and just ran like dogshit. After we finally got the plug off (factory put on, hadn't been replaced yet, and was completely BAKED on there) the tip was black as hell and nasty, not to mention the tip was like worn to the point where it was about to fall off lol.

Anyway, that's the worst case that I've had, I can normally tell when it's time to change, as it will be harder to start.