PDA

View Full Version : Giantvac Leaf loader doesn't shred well, thoughts?

Classified
09-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a 16hp briggs powered giantvac leaf truck loader. It does not shred the leafs that well. It might cut them in half and thats about it. I would have thought that these things really shred the leaves but it doesn't. The wheel is practically new so I don't think thats the issue.

Anyone have this loader and have good results?

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I had a 20hp billy goat truck loader last year and it actually shredded the leaves very well. If I recall correctly, most truck loaders have a slightly different impeller design, some have "teeth" or an extra, smaller blade designed to chop. The main function of a truck loader is to just take debris from the ground and put it somewhere else. The secondary function is to shred the debris, some units do this better than others. Typically the newer units are better at this since they are being designed now to have better shredding capabilities.

Here's what I would look into doing, to help remedy the problem:
1) Make sure the unit is being ran at full throttle.
2) Make sure the engine operates at the proper RPM's at full throttle.
3) Make sure the impeller is on securely.

If those don't work you might have to get a little more indepth into this:
1) Try a different impeller, this could be either a different Giant Vac impeller or one of another brand that fits yours.
2) Try and modify your current impeller to have "teeth" on it.

Hope you get it working to your satisfaction, good luck.

gene gls
09-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I have a 16hp briggs powered giantvac leaf truck loader. It does not shred the leafs that well. It might cut them in half and thats about it. I would have thought that these things really shred the leaves but it doesn't. The wheel is practically new so I don't think thats the issue.

Anyone have this loader and have good results?

The drier the leaves the more they brake up going through the loader. If you really want small leaf particals try this. In the top part of the curved blower pipe going to the truck, drill and insert some #8 ,3/4" long self tapping screws, about 10 should work. Wet leaves shread very good, dry leaves turn to dust. Depending on how much you run through your loader will goveren how often you will need to replace the screws. I did this for several years with my 8 HP loader and 3/4 ton truck. It makes a lot of dust when they are dry.

THC
09-12-2009, 11:22 PM
I think they only shred if the leaves are dry and brittle.. because then anything could shred them.

P.Services
09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
i wouldnt dare touch the impeller!!! dont try to add teeth to it or change it in any way. that thing needs to be perfectly balanced.

mowerbrad
09-12-2009, 11:46 PM
http://littlewonder.com/lw-loaders.asp#shreddingtalon

That should be the link to the little wonder site. Near the top of the page there is a picture and description of the "steel five-blade shredding talon ring". That is what I think you should see if you could add on.

When I said modify the impeller to have teeth, I meant trying to add something like this on there, that would be at the center of the impeller as to not throw off the balance. If you put something at the end of the impeller, then you would see more bad then good.

Classified
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I wonder If I can just buy the talon impeller and put it on my giantvac.

The problem isnt really a problem but the giant vac pulls so much air that the leaves just scream through the impeller once and are discharged. If they spent a little more time in the housing they would be nice and chopped up.

brucec32
09-13-2009, 06:30 PM
I noticed this problem in videos from other manufacturers. It was clear the leaves coming out were not very shredded. For what they want for some of these things you think they would shred em better.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-13-2009, 07:01 PM
maybe run them thru 2-3 times.

mowerbrad
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM

You can't be serious!? He would have to suck up the leaves, unload them, and then suck them up again...this all at one job. That would take forever just to do one job.

JNyz
09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Just stamp them down once they are halfway in and again once the bed is full. Then load a finale time.

Petr51488
09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm having the same problem? with my billygoat too. Maybe where just expecting too much from these things. What i'm going to do this year is get a mower and just mulch them... go over it once with a mower and that will pretty much shred them quite well, and then use the loader to load them up and shred them one last time.

Classified
09-14-2009, 01:48 AM

Yeah not very practical at all. It would be faster to crumple them up all by hand first than do that, LOL J/K

Classified
09-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Just stamp them down once they are halfway in and again once the bed is full. Then load a finale time.

Thats hard to do when the leaf box is a huge sealed container. I did however do that a couple times last year when I just had a tarp covering the top but this year it is all a mostly sealed box

JNyz
09-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Thats hard to do when the leaf box is a huge sealed container. I did however do that a couple times last year when I just had a tarp covering the top but this year it is all a mostly sealed box

Just put a trap door in the top like we all do in the NE.

Classified
09-14-2009, 10:59 AM
I just might have too.