PDA

View Full Version : How did you get started?

Josh.S
09-12-2009, 08:56 PM
How did you get started in the lawn application business?

I figure that most of you guys started by either (A) Mowing yards then got an applicators license or (B) Worked at ChemLawn, TruGreen, or Scott's and then went out on your own.

Myself, I purchased a spraying business with no previous experience, and then took the applicators license test before the spring. How about you?

americanlawn
09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Had about a dozen years with ChemlLawn corp. (not Tru Green). Rented a small corner of a wareouse for a couple years when we 'went on our own'. Used a garden hose to fill. This got us off to a good start. The rest was history, as we expended after that.

tlg
09-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I worked 13 years for a large independent company. We had about 8500 customers when they sold out to TGCL. I was in business the following spring. Smartest thing my wife ever talked me into. It's our 12th season now. I pay myself well. I work when I want to. The business will be my retirement. TGCL was calling after the second year in business. Gotta love it! Kinda ironic isn't it. TGCL put me were I'm at and they will most likely take me out of it all over again. Show me the money!:cool2:

Joshuakwhit
09-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Been with Scotts three yrs.. Hope to spread my wings and fly next season. Pretty sure corporate(with corp. one yr. before transfering) will be buying out our franchise(I hate corp.). Photo copy of trubrown.

rcreech
09-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Pure luck for me!

Going into college I had absolutly NO interest in turf. Took one class and it was history from there! I actually liked it almost more then ag.

I am not sure how it all got going...but so glad it did!

Started doing some lawns on the side and just started my business.

I was just thinking today after seeding lawns today... that is takes most people a month to make what I did in 8 hours (and this was on a Saturday)!

God had to be looking down on me when I got into this!

So glad I got into this business (sometimes)! :laugh:

grassman177
09-13-2009, 12:14 AM
we started out as a lawn maintenance company mowing and shrub trimming and leaves. you know the drill. i got the degree in collge and pesticides was a course and thought of the future in full service. my got me a scotts spreader and a back pack sprayer with a 48 in boom to start with. i got 12 smaller yards to start with and "prove " i could get results. the next year we got a 200 gal tank and like 50 customers. it has only grown from there. pretty typical start i guess, but got into it at a good time here

RigglePLC
09-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Major in Botany and Plant Pathology. Worked for TruGreen for 4 years, then a couple other companies. Then went on my own, used Ford F-150 pickup ($1200), 200 gallon sprayer, and cheap spreader,($19.95). Bought new stainless Scotts spreader. 20 years later, it worked out just fine. I enjoy not working for someone else.

Think Green
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I am the kind of guy that you have to prove something to me with concrete evidence!!
There are 3 things in this business that tears me to the core!!
1. Lies
2. More Lies
3. Even More Lies
When you are lied to about grass sod not rooting on a good customers lawn that is preemerge treated-watered and fertilized.
When the seed you sow didn't germinate because of preemerge applications.
When the pines suddenly die after an application of Ammonium Nitrate and you are blamed for their death and they say it wasn't their fault.
When bare root shrubbery decline and loose lower leaves after pre and post emerge applications.
When the lawns are tracked up after a fert application and you take the blame for it all the time. Fertilizer track burn!!
When the customer starts coming to you for answers that the other company won't call them back for!!!!

This was the time....................back 10 years ago!!!!!!

NatesLawnCareLLC
09-15-2009, 01:58 AM
I started out with mowing and doing general maintenance and then saw it was a class took it independent study and then just picked up clients that I was mowing for who were having other people apply their chemicals for them. Pretty simple once you have the basics and have a good understanding of what the chemicals that your putting down do.

RedMaple Lawns
09-15-2009, 03:50 AM
I haven't gotten my app. license yet, but I worked for TruGreen for a while and am now maintaining a couple of lawns on the side. I plan to work on a business plan over the winter and get my app. license by next spring! I'd like to have two divisions to my company in the future -- lawn maint. (mowing/trimming) and chemicals (fert and weed control). I'll prob. start out with a 200 gal. sprayer in my Ford Ranger...or maybe backpack sprayers depending on how many customers I get in the first year.

NatesLawnCareLLC
09-15-2009, 04:06 AM
I haven't gotten my app. license yet, but I worked for TruGreen for a while and am now maintaining a couple of lawns on the side. I plan to work on a business plan over the winter and get my app. license by next spring! I'd like to have two divisions to my company in the future -- lawn maint. (mowing/trimming) and chemicals (fert and weed control). I'll prob. start out with a 200 gal. sprayer in my Ford Ranger...or maybe backpack sprayers depending on how many customers I get in the first year.

Can I make a suggestion. Setting up a business plan is a good idea however, when you actually go to implement it usually it is constant flux anyways. Personally I like to set goals for my business, because while your writing a business plan the other guy is out already working on getting things going. As for setting up divisions on your company if your doing it by yourself I would say keep it all together as 1 because your probably not going to get too many clients for chemicals your first year. And build your business a little bit at a time so you don't have huge capitol investments.

Those are just my thoughts.

BigEd
09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

I dont think a Ford Ranger will handle a 200 gallon sprayer. Its WAY to much weight :weightlifter: . The vehicle would never stop.

NatesLawnCareLLC
09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
I dont think a Ford Ranger will handle a 200 gallon sprayer. Its WAY to much weight :weightlifter: . The vehicle would never stop.

If you could even get that thing to move.

AmGreen
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
lmao - I was thinking the same thing about the ranger.

AmGreen
09-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Just curious about these few yards you're doing work on...how/why are you doing this without a license?

Josh.S
09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Now back to topic..... how did the rest of you guys get started?? It's obvious that all of us didn't start out with nice ride on equipment and such..

AmGreen
09-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I guess we did kind of get off topic there.

I started out with a boom sprayer built on one of my zero turns.

RedMaple Lawns
09-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Just curious about these few yards you're doing work on...how/why are you doing this without a license?

I wasn't clear...sorry, I'm not currently applying chemicals, just maint. -- mowing, trimming, etc. Trust me, I know better than to apply without a license. 200 gal. sprayer is overkill considering TruGreen had 300 gal. tanks lol...I'd say 50 gal. setup may work better, what do you guys think?

AmGreen
09-16-2009, 01:33 AM
gotcha - that sounds better. maybe you should start a new thread with your question.

CHARLES CUE
09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Started out with 200 gal skid sprayer and a dream to have my own business had to take a course from Purdue i dint have any experience but got my lice 7 months later now want to move up to a ride on like t3000 or zspray any one go one fellow can try on this side of the country
Charles Cue