PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen Ultra

RigglePLC
09-12-2009, 11:53 PM
So...I had a low battery problem. After a few days of spraying every lawn with the electric pump. I thought my voltage regulator or alternator (stator) was bad. Electric start gradually failed. I did some research and found that many Briggs small motors had a stator that puts out 3 amps. And I looked up the one-gpm Flo-Jet pump that I am using and found that it draws 2.5 amps. Considering the draw by the starter, maybe there just was not enough juice to go around.

I put a battery charger on the nearest hot wire and charged up--now starter works fine. Pump, too. We will see next week.

Am I on the right track?

philk17088
09-13-2009, 12:02 AM
I eliminated the battery 2 years ago, run the pump off the hot wire from the motor,pull the rope to start.

LushGreenLawn
09-13-2009, 02:08 AM
I eliminated the battery 2 years ago, run the pump off the hot wire from the motor,pull the rope to start.

The only issue with that, is that the output of the pump gues up and down with the RPMs on the engine. Not really an issue because most spraying is done at full throttle anyway, but its something to be aware of.

LushGreenLawn
09-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Riggle,

You can take a voltmeter and attact it to a ground and your battery wire (with batery off). Run the machine at full throttle in nutrel, and you will be able to see the voltage being put out. It should be at least 14. Anything else and the altenator could be going bad.

Also, there is a diode inline between the altenator and battery. Follow the red wire out of the altenator, you will see where it appears to be connected to a yellow wire. (mabye its a yellow wire connected to a red wire) in that connection that looks like a splice made with electrical tape, there is actually a diode that converts A/C power from the altenator to DC. Mine went bad, and had to be replaced. Test before and after the diode with your voltmeter.