PDA

View Full Version : What is this strap?

Tharrell
09-13-2009, 09:10 AM
I've been on here for years and seen this thing advertised but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. Yesterday I stopped and talked with another LCO who was putting his big Scag back on the trailer and he strapped his left wheel down in a snap.
Slicker than elephant snot!
I'm gonna have to get some of those. It's like a tie down but it wraps around the tire and I think it use a cam buckle.
What is this thing called? Tony

grassman177
09-13-2009, 09:22 AM
it is called fastraps. we use them and they are the only way to go, fanastic idea. get you some!!

ALC-GregH
09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
www.fastrap.com

MOturkey
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I actually have 3 sets on my trailer, two for the Gravelys and one set for the Walker. I ordered my last set from Sportman's Guide. Competitive price and had them at my door in 3 days.

mowerbrad
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Not to turn this thread into a debate about these fast straps, but...

If you you your trailer for more than just hauling mowers or if you might not have the mowers in the same spot everytime, what do you do? It seems pointless to have to undrill the straps when you are hauling different mowers or mowers that aren't in the same place on the trailer all the time (like when you fill the trailer with leaves in the fall and then put the mower back on).

They look like a good system to strap down your mowers if you have them in the same spot everytime and you have the same mower(s) everytime.

TomberLawn
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM

If you you your trailer for more than just hauling mowers or if you might not have the mowers in the same spot everytime, what do you do? It seems pointless to have to undrill the straps when you are hauling different mowers or mowers that aren't in the same place on the trailer all the time (like when you fill the trailer with leaves in the fall and then put the mower back on).

They look like a good system to strap down your mowers if you have them in the same spot everytime and you have the same mower(s) everytime.

I just put 2 more Fastraps on my trailer Friday afternoon. I had one set holding my walk behind in place and ordered 2 more for my zero turn. The brackets are low enough that they aren't in the way when hauling other stuff. You do have to plan out the best layout before installing them, but since I keep my mowers in the same position all the time, it works great. I also checked to see if my Husqvarna HUV utility vehicle would be able to use them where they are and it fits great. So, a little bit of planning is usually all you need to get the most out of Fastraps. I really love mine.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I use 2x4.

Richard Martin
09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I've been using them for just about a year now. I like them.

N.TX
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
2 by 4 works like a champ as long as you have a back gate to ensure saftey

Tharrell
09-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks fellas, I drank a cup of coffee and it came to me!
I would assume motorcycle shops carry this also. Where's the best price?

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I got mine at Landscaper Pro but their prices on everything have gotten outrageous over the last year. A gate assist lists for $169.95 at Greentouch - Landscaper's price.... $220. Fastraps $22.95 - Landscaper's.... $29.95. Leaf and shovel rack $89.95.... Landscaper's $99.95. I'd avoid them like the Plague.

MarcSmith
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM

yes but a 2x4 does not secure the load to the trailer in the event of a major accident pr prefent mojor load shift in the advent of radical evasive manouvering.

Around here DOT will chew you up one side and down the other...

ALC-GregH
09-14-2009, 08:40 AM

What's the gate do if your in a accident, hold the 1000lb mower from flying off? If your not securing your equipment, then I can only hope that you get caught and get fined for your stupidity.

MarcSmith
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
If nothing more, you mowers are you most expensive and valuable piece of equipment. why would you not protect your investment?

Tharrell
09-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Looks like Northern Tool has the best price at $22.99. I'm gonna order 4. Tony

LouisianaLawnboy
09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
What's the gate do if your in a accident, hold the 1000lb mower from flying off? If your not securing your equipment, then I can only hope that you get caught and get fined for your stupidity.

You really think those little straps are going to hold that mower onto the trailer. Hahahahaha.

1. The straps are going to pop.

2. The mower will twist out of them.

3. The hardware will come apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
09-27-2009, 10:05 AM
You really think those little straps are going to hold that mower onto the trailer. Hahahahaha.

1. The straps are going to pop.

2. The mower will twist out of them.

3. The hardware will come apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh but a 2x4 will stop it?

LouisianaLawnboy
09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
oh but a 2x4 will stop it?

Nope.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tennesseepowerstroke
09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks fellas, I drank a cup of coffee and it came to me!
I would assume motorcycle shops carry this also. Where's the best price?

Northern Tool has them for about $22 to $23. I have 4 sets to cover all configurations for my my 2 mowers and dump cart to mount.

brucec32
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Maybe he drives everywhere in reverse.

I can't use fastraps because I have a variety of machines on the trailer from time to time, in different configurations. I'd love to see a video of a crash test and see if they really work. Seems enough force to send a 1,000 lb machine flying might just rip it right out of the device, or even rip the device out of the wooden floorboards. Or the mower would just twist out of the strap. But it's probably better than what 90% of folks are using.

STIHL GUY
09-27-2009, 01:48 PM

my mower is always in the same spot. and when i do leaves they go in the truck

Richard Martin
09-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I'd love to see a video of a crash test and see if they really work. Seems enough force to send a 1,000 lb machine flying might just rip it right out of the device, or even rip the device out of the wooden floorboards. Or the mower would just twist out of the strap. But it's probably better than what 90% of folks are using.

If you through bolt them it would have to rip the floor boards up for there to be a failure. And if you use the recommended 2 straps minimum it can't twist out of them. It's a pretty secure system that, if used with an addtional strap to hold the mower down on the trailer, should pass USDOT requirements for this type of equipment.

DLCS
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
If you through bolt them it would have to rip the floor boards up for there to be a failure. And if you use the recommended 2 straps minimum it can't twist out of them. It's a pretty secure system that, if used with an addtional strap to hold the mower down on the trailer, should pass USDOT requirements for this type of equipment.

State DOT told me that those would be questionable. Needs to be anchored to steel not wood. In a severe crash where the mower could go flying, those floor boards would be ripped. Even just flipping a trailer on the side would break them. Law says that two straps are needed and just securing the back wheels doesn't sound good for the equipment either.

Richard Martin
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
State DOT told me that those would be questionable. Needs to be anchored to steel not wood.

I believe you. But... It doesn't spec that in the USDOT regulations regarding securing loads. I'll post a link when I get on my other computer.

dishboy
09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I believe you. But... It doesn't spec that in the USDOT regulations regarding securing loads. I'll post a link when I get on my other computer.

Your right Richard,

Oldtimer
09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
The manufacturer should be able to answer the DOT question, have exact specs about anchors and provide a certificate of insurance.

Oldtimer

igotdiesel2
09-27-2009, 10:15 PM
I have these in my enclosed trailer. One set from Fastrap that hold my 50" WB. There are secured to the floor using 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts. They go through a 3/4" sheet of plywood, a 2X6 and a .100" piece of steel. I also built a set myself for my 33" WB they are just bolted to the 3/4" floor as the mower is in the nose of the trailer under a sturdy built shelf. -Jason

DLCS
09-27-2009, 10:57 PM

My fear would be them breaking ina accident and being sued. I don't need the USDOT handbook, if I don't think its safe then I'm not going to use it. I feel better with 3 inch strap over the center of my machine and not just the back wheels.

Richard Martin
09-28-2009, 03:44 AM
My fear would be them breaking ina accident and being sued. I don't need the USDOT handbook, if I don't think its safe then I'm not going to use it. I feel better with 3 inch strap over the center of my machine and not just the back wheels.

Well, that's fine. Not every system, device, tool or machine is right for everybody. You prefer a different method and I can appreciate that. But the 3 inch strap with the Faststraps would probably be USDOT legal. Here's the link to the regs.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkKey=0901633480023950

ALC-GregH
09-28-2009, 09:56 AM

I use 2 fastraps that are bolted through the wood decking and into the frame of the trailer and a 1500# rated strap on the front to stop it from bouncing when hitting a bump. Total weight rating is over 3000# combined. My mower weighs in at just over 1000#. I don't see it coming off when secured properly.

Richard Martin
09-28-2009, 12:22 PM
1500# rated strap on the front to stop it from bouncing when hitting a bump. Total weight rating is over 3000# combined. My mower weighs in at just over 1000#. I don't see it coming off when secured properly.

What the USDOT is looking for is the ability of the tie down devices to hold the cargo, in this case mowers, in place on the trailer. Their specs call for under a 1 G force in any direction. The question is can the Faststraps keep the mower from moving forward if 43.5% of the mower's weight is applied applied in a forward motion to the rear of the mower. I believe the Faststraps would easily hold even if you only used the manufacturer supplied screws.

hackitdown
09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I use Prolockers. Exmark used to sell them as LazerLockers:
http://www.specialtyequipmentusa.com/prolockers.html

LouisianaLawnboy
09-28-2009, 02:49 PM
To each his own. I'll do what works for me and you do what works for you.

Shane100
09-28-2009, 03:50 PM
I like the idea of the fastrap but don't see myself needing them. I just use ratchet straps. They are basically less expensive, can be used for multiple different tasks, and just as convenient. I own about 20 of them already and use them all the time. I have holes drilled in my wood deck at the locations I most commonly use them. I just drop the non hook end through the hole and reach under the trailer and grab the strap, pull it around and secure it to the steel side walls. Works for me.

mowerbrad
09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
my mower is always in the same spot. and when i do leaves they go in the truck

If I put my leaves only in my truck bed, I would be dumping them every 15 minutes, I wouldn't even be able to finish one lawn. I usually fill both my truck and my trailer with leaves, thats about 6+ cubic yards of leaves, and that usually is only 2 clean-ups. There would be no way for me to put my leaves in just my truck, so my mower ends up being at the very end of the trailer.

Hanau
09-28-2009, 07:31 PM
If you're really worried about it use chains and binders. Almost as fast as ratchet straps.

One chain on the front, one on the back. Lever binders are much faster than ratchet ones.

They'll last longer than straps too.

Personally I just use a pair of 3 inch straps to secure the ZTR's.

If I could work out some way to secure a lever binder to a d-ring on the trailer permanently I'd use a short length of 3/8" chain to secure the mower. That way all I'd have to do is drive the mower on the trailer, put the chain through the hook, and pull down the lever. That'd be fast and secure.

Tharrell
09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Gee whiz, this thread seems to be moving faster than the health care debate!!!
Anyway, I've been using heavy duty ratchet straps but when I saw that guy strap his big Scag down in a heartbeat, I decided to get some.
I see a lot of unsecured mowers on trailers around here and I don't really know what any rules there are. Tony

Richard Martin
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I see a lot of unsecured mowers on trailers around here and I don't really know what any rules there are. Tony

Unsecured mowers! Get out! I think I'm about the only one in my area that actually has lights on my trailer. I think most everybody around here takes a hammer and breaks them out/off as soon as they get their trailer home.

krider
09-29-2009, 08:36 PM
I use Pro Lockers as well. I'd love to race some one in securing a mower... Pro Lockers and Fast strap, side by side!

DLCS
09-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Unsecured mowers! Get out! I think I'm about the only one in my area that actually has lights on my trailer. I think most everybody around here takes a hammer and breaks them out/off as soon as they get their trailer home.

LOL, Most trailers here have lights, but they don't work. Safety chains here must be optional cause most don't have them. :rolleyes: