PDA

View Full Version : best way to prepare soil for overseeding...aeration? deathatching?

Kylec3
09-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Sooo my question is...what is the most effective way to prepare the soil before overseeding? We have always dethatched first then at the end would throw peat moss over top of the bare areas...but this will take way too much time for a large lawn. we dont own a slit seeder so thats not an option for us right now...i know a lot of guys around here will just aerate and throw seed and starter on top and thats all....but i never see great results...peat moss works wonders for us but for large areas it takes a lot of time to spread it with a shovel....

so whats better? dethatching? aerating? then just broadcasting seed on top? should you always put some kind of top dressing on the lawn after?

what are most of you guys doing? and what kinda results are you getting?

Creative Group Ltd.
09-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Clean the lawn area as best you can with a dethatcher, then topdress & overseed with a starter fertilizer (from scotts!) This machine is cool for topdressing lawns :

LawnSolutionsCP
09-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Rent one of our 9hp Turf Revitalizers....the Grand Rental has four of them in Egg Harbor. Let me know what you think after you try one. Very quick, lots of power, and actually does the work for you....pretty good resutls too.

Kylec3
09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
is this a power seeder/slit seeder and a dethatcher? im kinda confused...

cuz i know there are the thatcher/seeders and you leave the thatch on top.....but i believe this is just a slit seeder? but i read that it can renovate/till the lawn also?

LawnSolutionsCP
09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
It is a slit seeder on steriods. It has enough power to cut into the ground 1/2" deep at 3.5 mph making an incredible seed bed. It will also bring thatch to the surface where it cuts into tje ground. The harder and dryer the ground the better it works.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kylec3
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
soo is it necessary to clean the thatch up when finished? grand rental is literally a 3 minute drive from my house..so we may consider it...do they have the aerators too?? We actually only own a older classen dethatcher that has treated us veryy well for a looong time but looking for something to cut down on our big overseeding jobs and that are more effective then just dethatching then throwing seed down and top dressing the bare spots.......but i like the idea of the aerator and revitalizer....a lot less wear and tear on the person using the machine.

LawnSolutionsCP
09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
You only clean up the thatch in about 5% of the lawns...if it is really bad.

Otherwise tell the customer it retains moisture because removing it is a lot of added cost with no real benefit and you disturb the seed bed.

Do a test area first and determine if there is too much thatch prior to seeding.
Posted via Mobile Device