PDA

View Full Version : Please help ID this mold/mildew.

srl28
09-13-2009, 05:56 PM
New client has about 20 to 30 trees lining his driveway. They all have, to some extent, this white powdery mold on them. He sent me some pictures as we havent started to work on his property yet. I'll head out there tomorrow to take a look, just curious if anyone had any info on this or ideas on how to go about treating it. Thanks- Seen it before and had some info on it but cant find it now.

JNyz
09-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Cottony scale.

Think Green
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Cottony-Cushioned Scale insects!!
We get small infestations of these guys in the spring but never to this extent. The threshhold has definately been breached.

Imidachlorpirid as folar and drench treatment is successfull.
Dormant oil with Acephate application to smother overwintering scale after leaf abcission.

srl28
09-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Thank you very much, just what I was looking for! Any other tips or application processes, etc?

JNyz
09-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Thank you very much, just what I was looking for! Any other tips or application processes, etc?

Just apply sevin. Any garden center will have it.

Think Green
09-14-2009, 10:53 PM
JNYZ,
Is merit outlawed there in Jersey as it may be there in upstate NY?

Merit is pricey and yes, Seven will control the crawlers, but the adults that overwinter and the ones with the hard waxy coatings will not be affected by the application. We do dormant oil applications to certain plants and trees here to control the Armored Scale and San Jose Scale. The cottoy scale isn't as much of a problem unless they are brought in from out of state nursery stock. Acephate mixed with the oils are effective. Make sure you so this during the fall period as the oil will coat the Acephate and phytotoxicity will not be a worry. Acephate is a partial systemic insecticide.!!!
Seven is great also and is not pricey at all!!
I forget that not all states are accessible in allowing certain pesticides as we are in Arkansas!!

Good Luck!!

srl28
09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Exactly, thank you very much for the help Think Green! Very informative. From what we ve learned in the past and heard from asking others, the sevin seems to be the quickest, easiest and least expensive alternative.

I failed to mention though that some of the branches are now bearing brown leaves, or yellowing leaves, which is starting to worry me and the homeowner.

JNyz
09-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Exactly, thank you very much for the help Think Green! Very informative. From what we ve learned in the past and heard from asking others, the sevin seems to be the quickest, easiest and least expensive alternative.

I failed to mention though that some of the branches are now bearing brown leaves, or yellowing leaves, which is starting to worry me and the homeowner.

Jump on it.

srl28
09-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Will do, if it take over we re screwed. There are about 25+ trees lining the driveway, all infected with this crap. Not lookin good. Thanks for the help, I'll keep ya posted.