PDA

View Full Version : Honda gx 340

tjski
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
My Honda GX 340 won't run. It fills the crankcase full of gas. Not sure what going on with this motor. The motor ran find when stored last summer but now has a major problem.

Thanks Todd

Restrorob
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Todd,

Sounds like the carb is gummed up from sitting and needs a good cleaning.

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Check/clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose.

Pay attention to the float needle valve, Use a Q-tip sprayed with carb cleaner to clean the rubber tip and down inside the fuel in-let seat.

Also, Don't forget to change the oil......

tjski
09-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks I thought that might be the problem.

Merkava_4
09-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble.

I have found that carb cleaner will not always remove corrosion from small orifices; torch tip cleaning wires are very effective in doing this.

tjski
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I just order a new carb for the engine.

pugs
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
I have found that carb cleaner will not always remove corrosion from small orifices; torch tip cleaning wires are very effective in doing this.

Dont use those. They will end up making the holes larger if you are not careful which could cause the engine to run poorly. Honda has a set of Jet cleaners. They look like torch tip cleaners but they are smooth so you wont grind material away. Use these or any other smooth small wires for this.

Also good call on the new carb. On hondas you cannot replace the seat. The needle costs half as much as a carb sometimes....so um yah, new carb is the way to go. Or if its a slow leak, turn the fuel off when the engine isnt running.

Restrorob
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Dont use those. They will end up making the holes larger if you are not careful which could cause the engine to run poorly. Honda has a set of Jet cleaners. They look like torch tip cleaners but they are smooth so you wont grind material away. Use these or any other smooth small wires for this.

Well dang pugs, Ya beat me to it !!!

Merkava_4
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM

What I do is select the size wire that slides in the hole very easily. If the wire stops at the beginning of the hole, I don't force it in; I simply find a smaller wire that goes in easily. What you want is a wire that is the SAME size as the hole or slightly smaller; that way all you're doing is removing the corrosion without enlarging the hole.

tjski
09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Since the engine over 10yrs old I figured a new carb was the way to go.:drinkup: