PDA

View Full Version : Raise the deck???

qball
09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
got in a debate with a crew member today, about double cutting, I always raise the deck a quarter for a second cut, (3.50to 3.75) i was taught that and thats how do it, the diamonds look good but DOSE THIS MAKE A DIFFERENCE never tried it at the same height for a double cut any suggestions?????? any comments

fastcat
09-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I always leave it at the same height
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
09-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I leave it at the same higth and go oppiset direction to the first mow to cut any straglers that got missed.

ALC-GregH
09-14-2009, 12:16 AM
You only need to raise the deck if you have a lot of extra clippings piled up. Under normal conditions, you can leave the deck at the same height and roll on.

Uranus
09-14-2009, 12:29 AM
If and when I have to double cut I leave the deck at the same height.

I feel sharp blades and bagging saves me time and fuel. I have dumps spots on many of my properties and when I have to take clippings away, I have a free spot that is 2 driveways down from my place. But, we can save the mulching/throwing/bagging debate for another time.

Turf Dawg
09-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I have a different theory on this. If I am double cutting for stragglers or such I leave the deck the same height. If I am double cutting to spread clippings I raise the deck .5 to 1", depends on how much needs spread out.

FastMan
09-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Same as Turf Dawg, I raise the deck half an inch to spread the clumps and piles of clippings. Just enough to clean up the bulk laying on top, not suck up every blade you cut. Depends on the deck I imagine, but on my old lazer it cleaned up nicely, while letting me go like the dickens, and easier on the machine with the deck up a bit more.

brucec32
09-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Two approaches.

1. Mow slower the first pass and make sure you get a clean cut so the grass is nice and level. Second pass mow 1/4" higher at high speed to clean up any clumps.

2. Mow medium speed first pass, accepting that you may have some spots where thick grass causes stragglers, etc. Second pass mow at same height, again at medium speed, ideally with perpendicular passes, and both disperse clumps and smooth out any missed areas from the first pass.

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 05:53 AM
I raise the deck almost every time on the second pass. I'm almost always just trying to get rid of extra clippings.

tacoma200
09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I raise the deck almost every time on the second pass. I'm almost always just trying to get rid of extra clippings.

Yes 1/2" higher on the second pass really makes clippings disappear.

theWRIGHTcut
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
i don't see how this would have any effect on the cut.?

i work at 3.50, i would just leave it, raising might not get what was left behind

but what do i know, i've never tried it?

JABBERS
09-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I raise mine a 1/4" too. The reason why on my mower it disperses the lawn clippings better especially when wet. You can never tell the difference in the two cuts.

pg250
09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Is this for mulching or side discharging or both?

theWRIGHTcut
09-20-2009, 11:57 PM
i'm gonna test it on an account of mine tomorrow that ALWAYS gains too much height in 7 days between cuts.

who knows!?

Kutz Lawns
09-21-2009, 01:19 AM
I've never had to do a double cut with a Walker!

theWRIGHTcut
09-21-2009, 08:44 AM
heh, you have a big enough drum on the back of that thing for everyone's clippings!

Tvov
09-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I do it the opposite... with high grass, I raise the deck 3/4" higher for first cut, then lower it for the second cut. Cuts up the clippings better, leaves a beautiful cut.

Someone here on Lawnsite posted about doing it this way ages ago.

dishboy
09-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I do it the opposite... with high grass, I raise the deck 3/4" higher for first cut, then lower it for the second cut. Cuts up the clippings better, leaves a beautiful cut.

I mulch and this is what I do on any lawn that is obvious will require more than one pass. For mulching this eliminates clumps that stick together and may not get picked up on the second pass. The best cut ALWAYS comes when not processing to many clippings on one pass and this method does this best.

FastMan
09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

The problem with that approach is you have to mow every bit of the lawn again on the second pass. Can't just streak through hitting just th eclippings

STIHL GUY
09-21-2009, 10:55 PM
i leave it at the same height and change direction unless there is a lot of clippings to be scattered

Think Green
09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I've never had to do a double cut with a Walker!

I somewhat agree, but I hope you never have to mow the likes of Dallisgrass, Goosegrass, Tall Fescue, Turfted Lovegrass, and Yellow Foxtail.
My Walkers do less back cutting compared to our Exmark's. This only applies to dry grasses.........!?! And if you are mowing at an inch in height too!!!!