PDA

View Full Version : Hand held blower for gutters? Recommendation?

THC
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
I sometimes clean eaves with a back pack but I don't feel safe so thinking of getting a hand held for this fall. Might use it for clean ups as well.

Recommendations? I have a br600 and thought another sthil, a handheld might be over kill but I don't know. Maybe a home depot echo is good enough.

pflasch
09-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I assume that you are talking about actually being on the roof while using your BR600?

If you are doing single story homes, get the gutter kit for your BR600. You stay on the ground, but the kit reaches about 10' into the gutters!

2 story homes... good luck! ;-)

sunstateturk
09-13-2009, 11:42 PM
my little stihl bg65 kicks butt with 27cc's and a great price... cheaper than the echo commercial handheld and more power

THC
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I assume that you are talking about actually being on the roof while using your BR600?

If you are doing single story homes, get the gutter kit for your BR600. You stay on the ground, but the kit reaches about 10' into the gutters!

2 story homes... good luck! ;-)

I've seen pics of those but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be If I can't see the inside of the eave. Do they generally do a good job? What if it is wet, do you get covered with crap?

I also have an extra stihl 110 with an attachment thing, I have an edger on there but I saw a pic where some one attached a blower and then one of those long tube things for eaves. But I don't know.. then again, I could get someone else to do the eaves from the ground and yeah, I'm only doing bungalos this year. the guy that helped me with heights is not around anymore.

THC
09-13-2009, 11:57 PM
my little stihl bg65 kicks butt with 27cc's and a great price... cheaper than the echo commercial handheld and more power

Do you think that would pair well with a br600? You know, you have that in one hand and a hand held in the other for clean ups?

pflasch
09-14-2009, 12:31 AM
If you are not paying attention, you can get covered!

If you keep the nozzle at a forward angle as you walk, it blows the stuff out in front of you.

Power: if you can blow the moss off of concrete, you'll have enough power to move the mud and yuck out of the gutter.

It's good money because most people ( home owners ) don't like to do it!

A good cap and goggles are advised!

siclmn
09-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I used to be fearless and I got up on roofs with my backpack and blew gutters. Now I am older and wiser and don't get on roofs any more. It was only going to be a matter of time before I tripped or slipped and became a cripple and I have never regretted making the decision to stay off roofs.

topsites
09-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I ain't fearless either but I started out with an attachment, that doesn't work so good...
I eventually got up on some houses, with a hand held, that does work.
But it's slow...

Make better money with the backpack, also certain types of dirt ain't coming out with no handheld.
Your choice, I have both a bg-55 with a 65 nozzle, and a bg-85.
But I usually head up there with the br-600 because it's so much faster, to me it's about having to spend less TIME on the roof.

One thing that helps?
When I can see that coming off the roof is going to be a pita?
I carry a long rope with me, all wound up in a coil, attach it to my belt, doesn't have to be ultra strong, clothes line should work.
When I am done I then tie that to the backpack's handle, and I SLOWLY lower the backpack to the ground from up top.
Throw the rope down after it, once I'm all clear of this cumbersome burden, I head down the ladder.

Another thing, if the gutters are full, like water and all?
Before heading up, blow UP through the downspout but watch it because there's going to be some crap coming DOWN lol!
Anyhow, once that's cleared up it helps get quite a bit of that water on out...

THC
09-14-2009, 04:39 AM
I carry a long rope with me, all wound up in a coil, attach it to my belt, doesn't have to be ultra strong, clothes line should work.
When I am done I then tie that to the backpack's handle, and I SLOWLY lower the backpack to the ground from up top.
Throw the rope down after it, once I'm all clear of this cumbersome burden, I head down the ladder.

Another thing, if the gutters are full, like water and all?
Before heading up, blow UP through the downspout but watch it because there's going to be some crap coming DOWN lol!
Anyhow, once that's cleared up it helps get quite a bit of that water on out...
That's some good advice. It was going up ladders that got me paranoid even though I am very familiar with heights. I am and was a window cleaner. I spent a decade in a rope chair. I just don't like to have weight on me when I could fall.

That br600 blows everything out, I thought a hand held would do the same because I could hold it lower to the eave.

I'm still going to buy a hand held but if I still use the br600 on a roof, I'm going to raise and lower it with a rope. Thanks.

topsites
09-14-2009, 05:25 AM
That's some good advice. It was going up ladders that got me paranoid even though I am very familiar with heights. I am and was a window cleaner. I spent a decade in a rope chair. I just don't like to have weight on me when I could fall.

That br600 blows everything out, I thought a hand held would do the same because I could hold it lower to the eave.

I'm still going to buy a hand held but if I still use the br600 on a roof, I'm going to raise and lower it with a rope. Thanks.

The weight is a problem, it tends to put me off balance, too.
Also when I'm going down the ladder, the nozzle likes to catch itself on the steps, I hate that.

When lowering / raising the Bp with a rope, do go slow...
Both to make sure you don't lose your balance, and that the Bp doesn't get caught on something.
But I usually wear it going up, it's the coming back down I have problems with.

I definitely like having handhelds, there are some roofs it's the only thing going up with me.
Especially the kind where I have to climb from one section to another...

Yeah if you don't have one, and you got some cash, get one.
Whole lot easier in the summer too, use it to clean up after mowing instead of the backpack.
Oh, works great for cleaning out small or tight spaces, say in between heat pumps, under certain bushes, and under porches.
Just a handy tool for the light cleanups, great on gas, weighs a lot less, nice add on to have.

TONTAGE
09-14-2009, 07:31 AM
my BG85 works fine from the ground with the $30.00 gutter attatchment

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I use the gutter kit on my bg55 and it seems to work well

WH401
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Just skip the gutter attachment kit all together and use a good commercial hand held blower, it'll do a good job. With the gutter attachment you can't see inside the gutter to see if it's fully clean, and your going to get covered with crap from the gutter. You can use a backpack blower, but I personally wouldn't. You become too out of balance with it on your back and the benefit isn't worth it if you go tumbling off the roof.

SEMI-RETIRED
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I use a stihl handheld and it works fine, but sometimes you still have
to bend over if they haven't been cleaned for a while and take the
muck out, don't do too many any more though, i don't have the
balance i had when i was younger,,,just be carefull...

Bob..

lawnboy dan
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
i use the sthil bg 85-once you get it started-it makes short work of gutters