PDA

View Full Version : Walk behind mower gearbox skiping?

superyardz
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I just bought a used cub cadet commercial walk behind mower and all the gears work good except 4th. The fourth gear pulls, then stops, pulls, stops etc.. I took apart the gearbox and the gears looked good and put fresh gear oil in the trans. The forth gear still skips. Just wanted to know of another factor that could still be causing it to skip or if i should just get a new gear box or just gear, It is a tecumseh gearbox and most walkbehinds have the same gearbox. Thanks

ixlr8
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
My Husky does the same thing in 2nd. I found that if I put the shift lever a bit to the left of where it is suppose to be for 2nd, it works fine.

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
You DON"T put gear box oil in a Peerless tranny EVER. You probably opened the tranny up and said "Eww, look at all of that sludge" didn't you? That sludge was Bentonite grease. It belongs in there.

That said...

The most commonly work out item is the shift keys. They slide back and forth on the main shaft and choose the gear. They are usually damaged by improper shifting and could be the cause of your problem.