PDA

View Full Version : Who else is doing yards Bi weekly now?

MikeKle
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
I have pretty much switched everyone over to bi weekly mowings now. We havent had any rain for quite a while and most are dirt brown already! And this year was going so good? It really sucks to be at the mercy of the weather all the time! How can you run a business without knowing what you will be bringing in from month to month? Hopefully we get a wet fall, but I doubt it. It was good while it lasted though! I guess thats why this season has gone so fast, its already sept.?????

Damian
09-14-2009, 01:17 AM
We got so much rain this weekend - after very little rain this whole year - and have gone from wondering if we're going to be able to mow next week due to the drought to wondering if we're going to be able to mow the week after due to heigth of the grass... So in essence, we're going to be calling some two week customers and ask if they want an extra cut to keep their lawn looking good...

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
09-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Yea, some of my customers requested mowing every two weeks vs every week like I was doing them before. The grass just wasn't growing that much, but now with three days straight of nothing but good steady rain, I'm hoping the season will last a little longer for me now!
Posted via Mobile Device

scooterdayton
09-14-2009, 01:37 AM
yea weather sucks in our business. Even on a rain dates, then it messes with your whole schedual. Every week im switching clients all around going from once a week to bi weekly.
This year up in wisconsin was really weird. Ive cut everybody steadly once a week, becasue of such a cold summer and all the dew in the morning, it has really helped the business.

as for a budget, welcome to owning your own business ey.
gotta make money while you can and allways live within your means.

topsites
09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't understand why anyone would burn a lawn to a crisp in the first place...
To me a brown lawn, is a dead lawn.
Doesn't it ring a bell at some point?

Usually I slow down at the first signs of heat stress...
Which is long before anything at all goes brown.

I always cut bi-weekly, with few exceptions, in the summer it goes to 3-4 weeks...

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 04:55 AM
So far I'm still going full speed ahead on mowing. It's only growing at about 2/3 the rate it was before but it's still plenty enough to cut weekly.

grass_cuttin_fool
09-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Going to every other week this week...getting kinda dry and with the days getting shorter....so is the grass....Ive got a couple lawn renovations (overseeds) and fall fertilizer jobs and I think Im going to start them this week

lawnkingforever
09-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Still going weekly here. In a couple weeks a few yards will go to bi-weekly. Grass is still growing pretty good.

ALC-GregH
09-14-2009, 07:54 AM
It's growing non stop all season here. I haven't had to skip a single lawn all season.

cphillips0053
09-14-2009, 01:35 PM
A yard full of weeds always grows. Usually 2 or 3x the rate of the grass. You have to pick your battles around here. If you sell them a nice thick weed-free lawn, you don't get to mow it often. If they don't care about a nice yard, it grows like crazy.

hmc610
09-14-2009, 09:02 PM
All my yards have gone to bi-weekly but one.... It is mowed every three weeks!

John deer Z
09-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Still have a couple that are every week but almost all the rest have gone to bi weekly.But we are supposed to have a lot of rain for the next 3 days some stay tuned it could get better!

MOturkey
09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
All my yards have gone to bi-weekly but one.... It is mowed every three weeks!

Don't know where you are located, but I'm still doing virtually all my accounts weekly. I do have a couple of elderly clients that have requested bi-weekly, largely due the cost, and I've obliged them, but for the rest, it is still every 7 days or so, and we've got a good chance for some more rain tomorrow and Wednesday.

qualitylawnpro
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Still mowing every week. First time in 20 years to mow every week in july and august! I may get one more week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't understand why anyone would burn a lawn to a crisp in the first place...
To me a brown lawn, is a dead lawn.
Doesn't it ring a bell at some point?

Usually I slow down at the first signs of heat stress...
Which is long before anything at all goes brown.

I always cut bi-weekly, with few exceptions, in the summer it goes to 3-4 weeks...

I feel your pain....3 weeks no rain here, most lawns will be 8-10 day lawns now and some which are very drought prone will be 2 week-ers.

topsites, not sure how you do everything bi-weekly with 3-4 weeks between cuts in the summer. My lawns would be so crazy long by then, even if it was on the dry side. Only in super-severe drought would I ever consider not looking at a lawn for 3 straight weeks.

soloscaperman
09-15-2009, 12:50 AM
98% of my lawns are still weekly, and the 2% are biweekly and are not treated of course.

willretire@40
09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
We have been getting rain all year. A little to much. I only want enough rain to make the weeds grow so that I can just even the lawn out. I have some yards growing 10 inches in one week thanks to Trugreen. We had 7 inches of rain last week.

Marcos
09-15-2009, 01:37 AM
I have pretty much switched everyone over to bi weekly mowings now. We havent had any rain for quite a while and most are dirt brown already! And this year was going so good? It really sucks to be at the mercy of the weather all the time! How can you run a business without knowing what you will be bringing in from month to month? Hopefully we get a wet fall, but I doubt it. It was good while it lasted though! I guess thats why this season has gone so fast, its already sept.?????

Northern KY's supposed to maybe get some showers Wednesday, they're saying.
Up here in N. Warren county Ohio we had decent rain two weeks ago but with this really weird unseasonable dry air, consistent sun & cool temps the soil has became dessicated and absolutely parched in no time flat.
But unfortunately, that hasn't stopped a lot of the local mowing no-names from going out there and completing their weekly 'billing runs'...:rolleyes:...er, I mean "contracted mowing obligations". :laugh: :wall

MikeKle
09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Actually Ive noticed the high end yards in nice subdivisions are the ones that are brown and dead, these could probably go 2-3 weeks without mowing! But the yards that noboody cares about, no treating or fert. are the ones that are still going, due to the growth of weeds and crabgrass. They just took away our chances for rain later this week!! Yeah, I couldnt believe the poster above who mows bi-weekly at all times of the year? How are you making any money? Sometimes during the peak I could mow it more than once per week, some people want me to schedule them for every 5 days! But thats hard to do when you are that busy, but I try to accomdate them. They would find someone else if I tried to do it bi-weekly during the peak! BTW what are you mowing with, a bush hog?

GravelyNut
09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Actually Ive noticed the high end yards in nice subdivisions are the ones that are brown and dead, these could probably go 2-3 weeks without mowing! But the yards that noboody cares about, no treating or fert. are the ones that are still going, due to the growth of weeds and crabgrass. They just took away our chances for rain later this week!! Yeah, I couldnt believe the poster above who mows bi-weekly at all times of the year? How are you making any money? Sometimes during the peak I could mow it more than once per week, some people want me to schedule them for every 5 days! But thats hard to do when you are that busy, but I try to accomdate them. They would find someone else if I tried to do it bi-weekly during the peak! BTW what are you mowing with, a bush hog?
If you tried to mow bi-weekly here, you'd have to go slow, small deck, and have a big engine. Got back from Ohio to find grass knee high in only 2 weeks. First cutting left large clumps but completely cut. Wet as normal. Second cutting 3 days later got rid of the new growth and the clumps. Third cutting 3 days after that, Saturday, left it like it should be. It will get cut again tomorrow as we've had rain almost every day. Grass will quit growing sometime in late Nov or Dec and then go to bi-weekly. If it doesn't rain.

4.3mudder
09-15-2009, 09:17 AM
That's what i usually do is once every 2 weeks. Thats normal around here all the time.

Clonts Landscaping
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
I had 8 or 10 customers switch to twice a month because of the economy.

Marcos
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM

I don't mow, other than our own place.
We do organic-bridge lawn care, primarily in the form of protein meal applications like corn meal, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, etc.
Also, some compost topdressings mixed in here & there, and some asst landscaping, lighting, you name it...

The lawns that still shine as being in superior shape here right now are the ones that have been consistently maintained all summer at a higher mowing level compared to others, regardless of irrigation practices.
Sometimes a disease outbreak in mid to late spring may necessitate a temporary lowering of the blades to rid the lawn of contaminated tissue.

But generally, here's the way it's supposed to be in Grade A turf:
1) Raise the blades as conditions gets worse toward hotter &/or drier weather.
2) Lower the blades as conditions get better when the rains come &/or the season finally winds down.

Unfortunately for the consumer, step # 1 doesn't compute very well inside the mind of the average Joe Mowleder because all he's usually thinking about is keeping everybody busy, and, of course making maximum $$$.

Well, if Joe & his hapless crew instead took some random days in between mowings to maybe do other types of billable work that they'd trained for during the winter or whenever they had down time, they'd likely be noticing that few if any their lawns are "brown and dead" like so many others are now this 2nd week of September.
Then, they'd still be mowing once every two weeks or so.... NOW.

And.... if crabgrass & weeds are all that's growing in a given lawn right now, frankly, this could be a poster-child of a sign that this lawn either:
a) lacks adequate turf cover to prevent weed encroachment
or
b) an otherwise decent lawn was effectively scalped too much early-on in the season, which promoted weed infestation & caused overall decline in the turf itself

Pre-emergent herbicides in turf are over rated, period.
The best weed control mechanisms turf can have is SHEER DENSITY AND GOOD HEALTH, in and of themselves.

ccmark
09-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I switched a few to bi-weekly in August but once September hit the grass took off again, everyone is back to weekly cuts.

STIHL GUY
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
most of mine are still every week with the exception of a few

John deer Z
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
My question is for you guys that only do weekly yards what do you do when there is little rain and they, (The customer), want to go to bi-weekly?

OUTLANDER
10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
:laugh:.....thank you, well put......this s--t is going on around here too "billing runs" LMAO:laugh:Northern KY's supposed to maybe get some showers Wednesday, they're saying.
Up here in N. Warren county Ohio we had decent rain two weeks ago but with this really weird unseasonable dry air, consistent sun & cool temps the soil has became dessicated and absolutely parched in no time flat.
But unfortunately, that hasn't stopped a lot of the local mowing no-names from going out there and completing their weekly 'billing runs'...:rolleyes:...er, I mean "contracted mowing obligations". :laugh: :wall

OUTLANDER
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't mow, other than our own place.
We do organic-bridge lawn care, primarily in the form of protein meal applications like corn meal, soybean meal, cotton seed meal, etc.
Also, some compost topdressings mixed in here & there, and some asst landscaping, lighting, you name it...

The lawns that still shine as being in superior shape here right now are the ones that have been consistently maintained all summer at a higher mowing level compared to others, regardless of irrigation practices.
Sometimes a disease outbreak in mid to late spring may necessitate a temporary lowering of the blades to rid the lawn of contaminated tissue.

But generally, here's the way it's supposed to be in Grade A turf:
1) Raise the blades as conditions gets worse toward hotter &/or drier weather.
2) Lower the blades as conditions get better when the rains come &/or the season finally winds down.

Unfortunately for the consumer, step # 1 doesn't compute very well inside the mind of the average Joe Mowleder because all he's usually thinking about is keeping everybody busy, and, of course making maximum $$$.

Well, if Joe & his hapless crew instead took some random days in between mowings to maybe do other types of billable work that they'd trained for during the winter or whenever they had down time, they'd likely be noticing that few if any their lawns are "brown and dead" like so many others are now this 2nd week of September.
Then, they'd still be mowing once every two weeks or so.... NOW.

And.... if crabgrass & weeds are all that's growing in a given lawn right now, frankly, this could be a poster-child of a sign that this lawn either:
a) lacks adequate turf cover to prevent weed encroachment
or
b) an otherwise decent lawn was effectively scalped too much early-on in the season, which promoted weed infestation & caused overall decline in the turf itself

Pre-emergent herbicides in turf are over rated, period.
The best weed control mechanisms turf can have is SHEER DENSITY AND GOOD HEALTH, in and of themselves.

WOW!....hey man, well put once again......i really like reading on here, from someone who does know what they're talking about..............(my earnings fell alittle more than i like, but my lawns are great and stayed that way all season, while other yahoos burned up lawns...LOL (thats alright, i'll be getting those lawns too, eventually)

Florida Gardener
10-13-2009, 11:53 PM
my St. Augustine lawns are weekly and will be up until mid-end of November. We have had virtually no rain since August too.

My Bahia yards are a different story. I have already switched one customer to bi-weekly two weeks ago and one of my customers who has Bahia in his backyard I have now skipped the last two weeks. It looks burnt and not growing at all.....By december, Bahia yards will be once a month and if we get near freezes like last winter, every 5-8 weeks.