PDA

View Full Version : Fire at petrol station.

Mickhippy
09-14-2009, 02:06 AM
A while ago I was filling up a fuel can that was on the back of my truck. They shut down the pump and explained to me how this can happen.....

Alway fill cans on the ground.

And in the interview she said she'll hire someone to do the lawns from now on! haaaa

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26067395-2,00.html

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Wow. That's pretty incredible. Gas at $4.49 AUS a gallon is pretty awesome too. We had a whole bunch of those type of explosions a few years ago here in the States.

pflasch
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Very True!!! ALWAYS fill you gas / diesel cans on the ground!

Your truck bed isn't necessarily GROUNDED to an EARTH GROUND, and static charges can buildup.
In the US, we have had numerous fires at gas pumps from that small spark when the charge on the gas can, in the bed of your truck, neutralizes. Diesel is less likely to do this, but you still have a fire potential!

I applaud any "gas station attendant" for seeing this potential, and shutting that pump down!!

With that said, I also noticed the other day, as I was leaving the station thank god, an IDIOT with a lighted cigarette, taking the caps off of several gas cans in the bed of his pickup... and pumping fuel into them!

I pushed just a little harder on my "go faster pedal", and got the heck out of there!!!

soloscaperman
09-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Wasn't surprised it was a women, LOL. I had one next to me about 2 weeks ago pumping gas and talking on the phone!One hand on the pump and one hand on the phone.

I told her, "your gonna kill all of us". Go on you tube and look at the women that rubbed her sweater and went in and out the car rubbing her seat that started the static and the pump catching on fire.

Runner
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Static can do it, but it has since been proven that the cell phone thing was a myth. I used to be super paranoid of people on a cell phone around pumping gas, too.
The pickup bed thing? That is true and very deadly.

ZTR_Diesel
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Never - under any circumstances - should you fill up a gas can on a pickup bed. Even if you don't have a plastic bedliner.

Now - how would this relate to filling up a riding mower on a trailer, and by the way, most ZTR's have plastic gas tanks on them?

Mickhippy
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Now - how would this relate to filling up a riding mower on a trailer, and by the way, most ZTR's have plastic gas tanks on them?

Thats what I was thinking! No way Im going to take the machine off the trailer just to fuel it up.

pflasch
09-14-2009, 07:46 PM
When it comes to a static build up, plastic is worst than almost anything else! This has NOTHING to do with how "conductive" a substance is!
I'm an old computer tech, and I can tell you that more computer logic boards have been fried by simply setting a styrofoam cup right next to it... not even touching it!
I'm not trying to telling anyone anything new, but please Google "static electricity" and read for yourselves.

Just my 2 cents... :-)

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Thats what I was thinking! No way Im going to take the machine off the trailer just to fuel it up.

It wouldn't matter even if you did. The whole mower is still isolated from a earth ground by the rubber tires. Have you guys ever seen chains hanging from the bottom of a fire truck? Do you know what they're for?

Richard Martin
09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Here's some interesting reading on gasoline and static electricity......

http://www.hcdoes.org/airquality/GDF/static3.htm

pflasch
09-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, and you could run a static strap on a mower too... but almost no one does!

Fire engines have a LOT of static producing items onboard. Pull a long length of poly / cloth hose off of the truck, you can generate enough to knock you on your a%&!! Ladder trucks putting ladders up in the atmosphere generate a lot too... hence the grounding straps!

pflasch
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Richard... GREAT article!!!

Thank you!