PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience of Shindaiwa T242

Alan0354
09-14-2009, 02:18 AM
This is not a what is the best trimmer thread. I own the M242 and I am happy with it. But lately I read a few posts that T242 is not reliable. I just want to hear from people that own this trimmer.

Thanks

MOHUSTLER
09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
We have sold shindiawa along with other brands of trimmers and have found the T242 to be verry reliable. Most of the problems were operator error. Not putting in the right mix old gas ext... But most any trimmer will be a good one as long as you take care of it. But I personaly own a T242 multi tool at my own home and love it.

moores
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I just bought one in june and am not that impressed with it. I always have to use the choke to start it even if I just shut it off 5 minutes prior. And I usually have to pull the cord 4 or 5 times just to get it going and also if you touch the spark plug it will zap you.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Light trimmer with enough power.
Posted via Mobile Device

HenryB
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Takes too long to warm up (just like stratos). Lacks power overall POS. We have used many brands.

G. Ramey
09-14-2009, 05:54 PM
All my handhelds are shindaiwa and I have never had any problems except with a 242 I bought last year. It is constantly giving trouble. It will bog down and stop running after it gets hot. I took it back to the dealer under warranty a couple of times, but the problem just keeps happening again. The first time the dealer rebuilt the carb, the second time he put a new carb on it. the third time he claims he cleaned and adjusted the carb. I hope this isn,t the way all the new shindaiwas are going to be.

mcduff48
09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
T-242 owners. Ask your dealer to order Shindaiwa part #81362 . This is a special tool needed to adjust the "non-adjustable carburetors used on these units. I thought that these units were supplied with poor engines until I was told by Shindaiwa service techs. what was needed to correct the running problems that always appeared after break in. I hope this helps. Jim:dizzy:

Turf Dawg
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I have one that may be an exception to the rule, but I am very happy with mine. It may not have the most power but it has enough for normal trimming, runs great and is smooth. I have a 242 a stihl 85 a kaw kgt27 and a echo 280. Before I found the 85 I ran the 242 and my son ran the kaw. Now that I have the 85 my son runs the 242 and the kaw and echo stay at home.

John deer Z
09-14-2009, 07:30 PM
We have sold shindiawa along with other brands of trimmers and have found the T242 to be verry reliable. Most of the problems were operator error. Not putting in the right mix old gas ext... But most any trimmer will be a good one as long as you take care of it. But I personaly own a T242 multi tool at my own home and love it.

All I have to say about this is BS! If it is operator error then all the T242's that were sold at the mayos and cox supply here in knoxville!! The fact is that the ones that dont have problems are the exception to the rule. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and replaced Clutch,drive shaft , head gear at end of spindle, Which by the way keeps comming out of gear,and keep halfting to get carborator cleaned because of loosing power.:hammerhead:

Alan0354
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Have use two of the M242. Easy starting, 20 second warmup and is good to go.

John deer Z
09-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Dont know about the m242. I have the T242X that and the T242 are the ones they are having the problems to keep running.

Pietro
09-14-2009, 10:37 PM
We have 3 of em. Theyre ok I guess. All weed wackers suck. If you cut enough lawns, they just get dirty. The main problem with weed wackers is guys take off the shields, run too much line and dont let the motor scream like it should. Then the carb gets built p with junk, and they dont run right unless you clean them. I just get some sea foam every other month, add it to the mix and it cleans everything out.

HenryB
09-15-2009, 09:17 AM
The 242 is a great homeowner unit. It is not for someone who has experience with commercial duty products.
PS the new Kawy run like Strato's too. EPA is really ruining the performance of 2 strokes.

MOHUSTLER
09-15-2009, 10:53 AM
All I have to say about this is BS! If it is operator error then all the T242's that were sold at the mayos and cox supply here in knoxville!! The fact is that the ones that dont have problems are the exception to the rule. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and replaced Clutch,drive shaft , head gear at end of spindle, Which by the way keeps comming out of gear,and keep halfting to get carborator cleaned because of loosing power.:hammerhead:

Are you running it with or without the guard?

Alan0354
09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
The 242 is a great homeowner unit. It is not for someone who has experience with commercial duty products.
PS the new Kawy run like Strato's too. EPA is really ruining the performance of 2 strokes.

It is getting harder and harder to buy 2 cycles now!!! When I was shopping for the M242 at the time, I did a lot of research, most of the new 2 cycles like RM, Kawi, Tanaka are using some sort of scavenger technology and are all having the same kind of problem. The only ones left were Shindaiwa,Echo and Husqvarna that are still normal engine. It is very dis-heartening to hear the T242 have other problems. Husqvarna just change to a new 327 model!!! Echo changed to a single ring Vortex engine. That is just tooooooo bad!!!!

I just don't want to get into the hybrid 4 cycles yet. Even my Honda is not running too well!!!

Fox Landscape Services
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I own two of them and used to have problems with them bogging down and finally stop running. Had them rebuilt and stopped using any gasoline that contains ethanol and haven't had a bit of trouble since. I read somewhere about ethanol being hard on engines and gas lines . I also use the Shindaiwa oil mix at 50/1.

Alan0354
09-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I own two of them and used to have problems with them bogging down and finally stop running. Had them rebuilt and stopped using any gasoline that contains ethanol and haven't had a bit of trouble since. I read somewhere about ethanol being hard on engines and gas lines . I also use the Shindaiwa oil mix at 50/1.

How can you tell whether there is any alcohol? By smelling? That's what I did. I settle on Shell 91. I used to use Chevron but it really smell alcohol ( sweet smell). So I sniff and settle on Shell!!! That is only in my area. As I said, I have absolute no issue with my stuff now. I do use Seafoam 100% of the time.....about 1oz per gallon.

Fox Landscape Services
09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
There is a station here that promotes Pure Gas... No Ethanol

Turf Dawg
09-15-2009, 07:40 PM
It is getting harder and harder to buy 2 cycles now!!! When I was shopping for the M242 at the time, I did a lot of research, most of the new 2 cycles like RM, Kawi, Tanaka are using some sort of scavenger technology and are all having the same kind of problem. The only ones left were Shindaiwa,Echo and Husqvarna that are still normal engine. It is very dis-heartening to hear the T242 have other problems. Husqvarna just change to a new 327 model!!! Echo changed to a single ring Vortex engine. That is just tooooooo bad!!!!

I just don't want to get into the hybrid 4 cycles yet. Even my Honda is not running too well!!!

Sorry, but you left out the Stihl FS80. It's a pure two stroke "dirty" engine and I mean no catalytic converter or anything. The only bad thing is the flex cable drive. I think this is on the way out though because it is around a 10 year old model with a dinosaur motor. BTW the Stihl FS250 is also a dirty engine but it is a Hoss, too heavy for me to want to carry around all the time.

Alan0354
09-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry, but you left out the Stihl FS80. It's a pure two stroke "dirty" engine and I mean no catalytic converter or anything. The only bad thing is the flex cable drive. I think this is on the way out though because it is around a 10 year old model with a dinosaur motor. BTW the Stihl FS250 is also a dirty engine but it is a Hoss, too heavy for me to want to carry around all the time.

FS80 is not a choice in the People's Republic of Kalifornia!!!:laugh::laugh:

Or else, it's a no brainer when I bought a string trimmer!!! FS250 is too big for me since I have the big Honda already. It is sure tempting though.

That said, I really like the speed feed head. How can anybody not have one!!!

Actually I started out using the M242 with an articulate short reach hedge trimmer. I recently try the string trimmer attachment which I got for free and just love it. Since then, the Honda become the wall flower in the garage!!!

Turf Dawg
09-15-2009, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Alan0354;3188974]FS80 is not a choice in the People's Republic of Kalifornia!!!:laugh::laugh:

QUOTE]

It is for sure not C.A.R.B. compliant.

California Air Restriction Board :cry::cry::hammerhead::hammerhead:
Man ya'll are a pain in the butt for the rest of us:laugh::laugh:

John deer Z
09-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you running it with or without the guard?

I am running it without the guard that came on it I have my own modified
guard. That has nothing to do with the problems I am having. I take care of my equipment. Dont let it run with string to long it will bog it down. Why does the manuf. of these weede eaters not make a larger guard to let the string be longer to cover more area? All the landscapers I have seen around town have theeir guards Off!

John deer Z
09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
How can you tell whether there is any alcohol? By smelling? That's what I did. I settle on Shell 91. I used to use Chevron but it really smell alcohol ( sweet smell). So I sniff and settle on Shell!!! That is only in my area. As I said, I have absolute no issue with my stuff now. I do use Seafoam 100% of the time.....about 1oz per gallon.

Mayos service guys said not to run High octane in any of the small engine Weed eaters, blowers, or hedge Trimmers. Even not in mowers they said it would burn pistons up! Not designed to run High octane.

djagusch
09-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Run a T242 and a M242 with no issues.

jtkplc
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
All my handhelds are shindaiwa and I have never had any problems except with a 242 I bought last year. It is constantly giving trouble. It will bog down and stop running after it gets hot. I took it back to the dealer under warranty a couple of times, but the problem just keeps happening again. The first time the dealer rebuilt the carb, the second time he put a new carb on it. the third time he claims he cleaned and adjusted the carb. I hope this isn,t the way all the new shindaiwas are going to be.

We had the same exact thing happen to our brand new 242 last year. Ended up being a tiny, tiny pinhole in the black fuel line running between the tank and carb. It could be your problem. Ours wouldn't run after they got hot.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 12:37 AM
I think the thing is people are running them to rich, thereby leaving carbon build up causing carb problems. I've only had one problem, and that was the choke thing was held on by a ring on some models and shindaiwa recalled it and held it on by a screw instead. Other than that no problem.

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 01:41 AM
I am running it without the guard that came on it I have my own modified
guard. That has nothing to do with the problems I am having. I take care of my equipment. Dont let it run with string to long it will bog it down. Why does the manuf. of these weede eaters not make a larger guard to let the string be longer to cover more area? All the landscapers I have seen around town have theeir guards Off!

This is only a 23.9cc engine, I don't think it has the guds to run longer line!!! Particular my string trimmer head comes with .105 line. That already put extra load on the trimmer. I am using .095 line and it work very well.

You sure you are not asking too much on this small trimmer. I have my big Honda for big weeds!!!:laugh:

If you running long big lines, maybe T272 or T280 will fit the bill.

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Mayos service guys said not to run High octane in any of the small engine Weed eaters, blowers, or hedge Trimmers. Even not in mowers they said it would burn pistons up! Not designed to run High octane.

I thought high octane gas burn a little slower and therefore it runs cooler!!!

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
This is only a 23.9cc engine, I don't think it has the guds to run longer line!!! Particular my string trimmer head comes with .105 line. That already put extra load on the trimmer. I am using .095 line and it work very well.

You sure you are not asking too much on this small trimmer. I have my big Honda for big weeds!!!:laugh:

If you running long big lines, maybe T272 or T280 will fit the bill.

2 things 1. I am runing and have always run .095 line the rotary line to be exact.

2. I have the smaller speed feed line heads for a added stress relief on the engine. I dont run very long line because it will bouge down!

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
I thought high octane gas burn a little slower and therefore it runs cooler!!!

I was just telling everyone what the main mechanic told me at mayos. you can run anything you want. I started to run mid grade as a compromise but not sure this is smart either. They are designed to run on 87 octane so should not have any problems if you run correct oil and fuel mixture.

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
2 things 1. I am runing and have always run .095 line the rotary line to be exact.

2. I have the smaller speed feed line heads for a added stress relief on the engine. I dont run very long line because it will bouge down!

I notice you have the AHS-242. I bought the M242 (multi tool head) mainly for the short reach hedge trimmer. I was actually going to buy the AHS, but it just happened they had a promotion on the M242 that I got a free string trimmer attachment. I really like the short reach hedge trimmer. I don't even use my regular hedge trimmer anymore. How do you like the AHS 242? Does it give you any problem?

I only start using the string trimmer attachment 2 months ago and I retire the Honda because Shindaiwa is lighter and I really like the head.

Brad Ent
09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
We've been running a T242 for two years it is my favorite trimmer.
The speed feed head and lighter weight works for me.
Down side is it's been back to the dealer twice for choke plate repair.
We use a T272 (brush blade), Stihl 110 and just retired a older Husky.
Comparing 2cyl to 4cyl is like comparing apples to oranges

K/B
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
The T242's main weak point is the choke, Shindaiwa did reinforce it and it is an improvement. Originally there was trouble with the shaft splines and mating clutch drum splines wearing out too fast, but that was rectified with P/N 89213, which is a kit containing the clutch drum, snap ring and main shaft, the spline part of the drum was extended to better support the main shaft. Other than that it's an awesome machine, supposedly was a real winner for Shindaiwa.

Scagguy
09-17-2009, 06:07 PM
I have a 230 and a 242 that are used as back ups. The 242 always takes 5 or 6 pulls to start hot or cold and requires a good 30 seconds to warm up. The 230 fires up first pull every time even after sitting for a couple of months and will run wide open immediately.

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
The T242's main weak point is the choke, Shindaiwa did reinforce it and it is an improvement. Originally there was trouble with the shaft splines and mating clutch drum splines wearing out too fast, but that was rectified with P/N 89213, which is a kit containing the clutch drum, snap ring and main shaft, the spline part of the drum was extended to better support the main shaft. Other than that it's an awesome machine, supposedly was a real winner for Shindaiwa.

These are the exact problems I am having. I dont think they used your P/N
89213 on my machine because the clutch is already weak again and just had the whole assembly replaced in june! As you can see by my signiture I love shindawa stuff but this T242X is about to drive me crazy:dizzy:

The hedge trimmers are good. They use the same 242 set up and it has to take 30 sec or so to warm up every time. same with the String trimmer.

Turf Dawg
09-17-2009, 07:25 PM
e crazy:dizzy: The hedge trimmers are good. They use the same 242 set up and it has to take 30 sec or so to warm up every time. same with the String trimmer.

After you start them, turn them upside down and give them throttle for a couple of seconds. This cure the warm up time.

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
After you start them, turn them upside down and give them throttle for a couple of seconds. This cure the warm up time.

Why does it make a difference turning upside down?:confused:

I usually just start with no throttle and let it idle while I walk to the spot to trim and never have problem. I don't gun my stuffs when first start. Take quite a few second to walk to where you want to trim anyway or wear your blower to your back!!! Thats all the time you need for the stuff to warm up happily already!!:laugh:

Why people want to gun their equipments cold?!!! I think it is as important to let the stuff run up to temperature gentlely as let the stuff idle for 30 seconds after WOT before turning it off. repeating temperature shock to metal over and over will weaken the seal and the metal.

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 08:32 PM
The dealer told me that I should let my bb802 blower warm up before opening it up. Seems like all shindawa stuff has went this direction. The problem I have is takeing the time to warm up everything at each yard GETS OLD!!and not to mention take time.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Warm up time with all my shindaiwas are about 5 seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 08:43 PM
The dealer told me that I should let my bb802 blower warm up before opening it up. Seems like all shindawa stuff has went this direction. The problem I have is takeing the time to warm up everything at each yard GETS OLD!!and not to mention take time.

You mean you have problem even after the first time of the day? Of cause if it sit for over an hour, it's totally cold again!!

Wow, sounds like the EB802 is worst than my Maru. Luckily I did not wait for the 802 to be available in Kalif!!! I don't think it is available yet. I am slow putting the bp on, always been a struggle for me, it is alway nice and warm by the time I strap it on my back!!

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Sometimes if the yards are close toghther it does not cool off completly but if I haft to do any driving I haft to wait on it to warm up.

wright5223
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Put it to you this way "I miss the T-230" :cry:

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Put it to you this way "I miss the T-230" :cry:

I have the 231 but it is not as strong as the 230 was.:cry::cry:

Alan0354
09-17-2009, 11:27 PM
What can you do?!! If you are lucky enough to be able to buy the FS80, stock it up!!!! I just have a sickening feeling it's not going to get better. Just last year, I read the IPL of the Kawi KGT27a, it wasn't a strato engine. If you look at the IPL now, it is a strato.......same old Chit!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Here I am, did all the research and got the M242, now you really burst my bubble!!!!

mjealey
09-17-2009, 11:38 PM
It is funny how some trimmers are different. My 242 is rather warm natured. First time I start it for the day, I push the primer bulb about 8 times, Check all the way, pull the chord and it will spit and sputter, open the choke all the way and pull and it fires right up. I only have to pull twice and I am good to go. Every time I go to a yard I have to do this. If it sits for fifteen minutes I have to choke it and go through that process. Once it starts it is good to go and can almost go full throttle right then.

Turf Dawg
09-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Why does it make a difference turning upside down?:confused:

Why people want to gun their equipments cold?!!! I think it is as important to let the stuff run up to temperature gentlely as let the stuff idle for 30 seconds after WOT before turning it off. repeating temperature shock to metal over and over will weaken the seal and the metal.

Heck if I know, but it seems to work for all engines that do not take throttle for awhile.

To me any small engine that takes mixed gas does not need much warm up time. Stihl trimmers/edgers have a start position which seems to be about half throttle and Redmax has a throttle lock for starting that is about 2/3 throttle [most people call it a cruise control]. I know my Stihl 600 on full choke also puts the throttle almost at full and the middle choke position puts the throttle about half.

For the larger engines that do not take mixed fuel I always give them some time for the oil to start flowing although I know some of the engines do not have a throttle, so they start at full and get killed at full.

This is just my opinion and I am NOT saying you are wrong.:drinkup:

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 02:33 AM
BTW, I sure have not heard much complain about the new Echo SRM 265 or the SRM280. They have been out for almost two years. Are they behaving better than Shindaiwa and Redmax?

I am old school, I don't like single ring engine.....That just me, not trying to imply anything. And the important thing at the time when I was shopping was I was looking for a short reach articulate hedge trimmer and Echo don't have one. How are the new Vortex engine holding up? I can say my 4 year old Echo HC151 is about the most warm blooded!!! But now is hanging on the wall like my Honda!! Spoided by the Shindaiwa short reach.

PLM-1
09-18-2009, 02:45 AM
I am beginning to hate my 242. It used to run great but it just won't warm up anymore. It has sat on the trailer most of the year. My 10 year old 231 is still zingin' along!

John deer Z
09-18-2009, 08:22 AM
I am beginning to hate my 242. It used to run great but it just won't warm up anymore. It has sat on the trailer most of the year. My 10 year old 231 is still zingin' along!

That is me I use the 231 more than the 242. It is warm natured and goes at full throttle from the get go!! :waving:

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
T-242 owners. Ask your dealer to order Shindaiwa part #81362 . This is a special tool needed to adjust the "non-adjustable carburetors used on these units. I thought that these units were supplied with poor engines until I was told by Shindaiwa service techs. what was needed to correct the running problems that always appeared after break in. I hope this helps. Jim:dizzy:

I have the IPL of the T242. I notice that in the diagram, there is a H needle but when I look at the carb itself, I don't see it. Today I looked at the trimmer again in detail and I saw a hole on the carb where the H needle supposed to be and I see something inside. Maybe you are right, you need a special tool to get into the hole to adjust it.

Guys, this may be your ticket to a happy trimmer......which make a happy operator......you!!!!:laugh:

This is the IPL of T242:
http://www.shindaiwa.com/can/en/_docs/ipls/trimmers/t242_epa2_evc.pdf

look at page 8 and at part number 11. Hope that help you guys. Let me know if you adjust it and how much to adjust.

nmanley
10-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I just bought a new T242 today and ran a tank of fuel thru it on some fairly thick weeds and fence line. Was a little rich on top but pulled strong for not any break-in. So far so good. I'll have to look into that tool deal.

Merkava_4
02-25-2010, 07:57 PM
I have the IPL of the T242. I notice that in the diagram, there is a H needle but when I look at the carb itself, I don't see it. Today I looked at the trimmer again in detail and I saw a hole on the carb where the H needle supposed to be and I see something inside. Maybe you are right, you need a special tool to get into the hole to adjust it.

Guys, this may be your ticket to a happy trimmer......which make a happy operator......you!!!!:laugh:

This is the IPL of T242:
http://www.shindaiwa.com/can/en/_docs/ipls/trimmers/t242_epa2_evc.pdf

look at page 8 and at part number 11. Hope that help you guys. Let me know if you adjust it and how much to adjust.

Is that special tool (Shindaiwa #81362) used to turn the H needle?

Alan0354
02-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Is that special tool (Shindaiwa #81362) used to turn the H needle?

We were just talking about this part:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305512&page=3

I never bought this because I have no issue with mine. Mine runs perfect.:)

KarambaStar
02-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Yes, 81362 would be the right one for the T242, and I think the adjustment on this model is accessed directly on top of the throttle shaft. A place you wouldn't see just at a glance.

Merkava_4
02-26-2010, 12:08 AM
We were just talking about this part:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305512&page=3

I never bought this because I have no issue with mine. Mine runs perfect.:)

It just dawned om me that "H" must stand for high speed,
as in high speed mixture adjustment. The mixture needle
must be recessed and the special tool is some kind of a
screwdriver that can fit down the hole...?

Alan0354
02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
It just dawned om me that "H" must stand for high speed,
as in high speed mixture adjustment. The mixture needle
must be recessed and the special tool is some kind of a
screwdriver that can fit down the hole...?

There is a small little hole. Go to Shindaiwa USA, go to support, type T242 and check the IPL ( parts list). I believe is item #11 if mind mind haven't fail me!!! THey call it H needle.

KarambaStar
02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
There is a small little hole. Go to Shindaiwa USA, go to support, type T242 and check the IPL ( parts list). I believe is item #11 if mind mind haven't fail me!!! THey call it H needle.

There is a round hole on the air filter cover, on the area that sticks out above the carburetor (If you're looking at the engine from directly above). This is the access hole for the adjustment, so you don't have to remove the AF cover for adjustments. If you look down through that hole, you're looking directly at the H needle. It's very tiny and cannot be adjusted with anything besides the proper tool.

Alan0354
05-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Anyone know where to buy the high speed adjustment tool (81362) for the T242 online?

horsequick
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I bought one in April last year so mine's a little over a year old now. I used it one day and haven't used it since. My tanaka had fallen off the trailer and snagged the throttle cable so I had to have a trimmer that day so I bought the Shindaiwa T242. Can't stand the speed feed head and it has nowhere near the power of my Tanaka even though they are the same size engine. The Tanaka TBC-2501 blows it away in my experience.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
i used it before and i loved it. i love shindawia but they are so expensive. i bought a edger and its the LE242 it works great.

Big Wes
05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I've used shindiawas for 20 years and that being said I bought a 242 two years ago and it'll be the last Shindiawa I'll ever purchase. They are Junk!!! Plain and simple truth. Hard starts, cheap choke design. Never never never again, and I'll try to discourage anyone from wasting their money on that CRAP!:nono:

Even the local dealers stopped selling them and switched to yamamauray's or something like that.

End of Rant.

ed2hess
05-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I've used shindiawas for 20 years and that being said I bought a 242 two years ago and it'll be the last Shindiawa I'll ever purchase. They are Junk!!! Plain and simple truth. Hard starts, cheap choke design. Never never never again, and I'll try to discourage anyone from wasting their money on that CRAP!:nono:

Even the local dealers stopped selling them and switched to yamamauray's or something like that.

End of Rant.

Don't know much about the 242 but the 2510 is a pretty darn solid built machine. Choke design apparently fixed and this unit has a very good filter system, the best I seen. This unit has adjustments on the carb so that might be different.

Alan0354
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I brough this post up for the carb adjustment tool, I should have started a new thread which I did after I realize nobody read my question!!!:laugh:

there is a recall on the choke, talk to the dealer. Regarding to starting:

1) Close the choke, turn the switch on.
2) prime the bulb hard for 8 times.
3) Without touching the throttle, pull until it start or try to start.
4) Open the choke all the way. If it started, let it idle, don't need to touch the throttle. If it try to start and stop, open the choke and pull one more time, it start every time like that. Never pass 4 pulls. Hack I start all my equipment like this and none need more than 4 pulls. Don't apply throttle at all, just let it idle nice and easy. I have two M242 behaving exactly the same, EB3410, Echo HC151, Honda and Maruyama blowers. Everyone behaves.

K/B
05-14-2010, 07:27 AM

End of Rant.

So the one you bought happened to not work. What makes you think that just because you got a lemon means they're all junk? The T242 has been one of Shindaiwa's most successful products ever. They have undergone several changes since they were released, including clutch/shaft upgrades, choke upgrades, and more.

Merkava_4
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
They are Junk!!!

That's been said about every trimmer on this board with the
exception of Tanaka; nothing bad has ever been said about them.

Big Wes
05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
So the one you bought happened to not work. What makes you think that just because you got a lemon means they're all junk? The T242 has been one of Shindaiwa's most successful products ever. They have undergone several changes since they were released, including clutch/shaft upgrades, choke upgrades, and more.

I guess you haven't read all the complaints in this thread. Are you a dealer?

Anyway if you like 'em, you can buy them. As far as I'm concerned I'm through with shindiawa like I said in my previous post. I still use my 242 but when it quits running, it's not going to a shop for repairs, it's going in the trash. They're like BIC lighters, disposable! Use them and throw them away.

OrangeToys
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
i have one that is now sitting the garage for carb issues and constant (every single stop for the day) adjutments after a 1.5yrs of use and I am now using 2 stihls that are better in everyway.

Alan0354
05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
There is thread right now where people trashing Stihl too!!!:laugh::laugh:

CBRmanimal
02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
The T242 isn't bad when it runs, only reason I bought it was because Sthil FS80 I bought was junk with the cable shaft. I had an FS76 before that and LOVED!! it til someone stole it.
When I first got it I really was impressed by how it ran when I compared it to the Stihl (It felt just as good). I moved and didn't use the T242 for about 6 months, changed the gas before I fired it up and it wouldn't run with the choke off. Took it in and shop instantly knew it must have been sitting. I paid $50 to have the fix it, took it home and ran it for a couple min, still didn't seem right but I figured it would clean out like they said. A week later same exact issue is back have to run it with the choke half on. It seems that if they put a simple carb adjustment screw on it the world would be 300x happier with them but no. I've been trying to figure out what carb I can swap on it that has adjustments but haven't found any yet. I really just want to sell it now and get another Stihl. I barely have 8 hours on this thing.

John deer Z
02-10-2011, 11:22 PM
:gunsfirinI guess you haven't read all the complaints in this thread. Are you a dealer?

Anyway if you like 'em, you can buy them. As far as I'm concerned I'm through with shindiawa like I said in my previous post. I still use my 242 but when it quits running, it's not going to a shop for repairs, it's going in the trash. They're like BIC lighters, disposable! Use them and throw them away.

I second that!!:nono: Stay away from the 242!!! Mine is running right know but when it goes down again it is done. :hammerhead: I have spent enough on that thing to have bought 2 Styls!!:gunsfirin

orlawncaresvc
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
We were disappointed with the T242. From operating only T231s which we strongly agree are the best string trimmers in it's class. We were disapointed with the 242s. They take a while to warm up. Espeacially in cold weather. They lack power which was a big concern of ours. Brand new 242 compared to our 5 year old 231, and our 231 still feels more powerful. We a actually took it back to our dealer and explained to him that it felt powerless. They took care of the problem right there and then which we were told all it needed was some adjusting. Trimmer worked awesome for about two days then powerless problem came back. It's starting to really warm up here in California where we are located and maybe for that reason the darn 242 is working awesome again. WTF... We don't know but we at happy with it at this moment. Still doesn't have anything on our 231. We think Echo is to blame since they got their hands on shindy.
Posted via Mobile Device

CBRmanimal
02-11-2011, 12:23 AM
All I need is the part # for an adjustable Walbro that fits the 242 and my problem would be solved =)

K/B
02-11-2011, 07:50 AM
The T242 carburetor is fully adjustable, however you need a special tool.

Replace the carburetor & fuel filter, and the machine should run a lot better. The problems orlawncaresv is describing exactly matches the symptoms of a defective fuel filter. The fibers in the filter are getting sucked into the carburetor. Adjusting it helps but only for a few days, then the problem will return. Use carburetor #A021002070 and filter #13120519831.

John deer Z
02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
The T242 carburetor is fully adjustable, however you need a special tool.

Replace the carburetor & fuel filter, and the machine should run a lot better. The problems orlawncaresv is describing exactly matches the symptoms of a defective fuel filter. The fibers in the filter are getting sucked into the carburetor. Adjusting it helps but only for a few days, then the problem will return. Use carburetor #A021002070 and filter #13120519831.

And then have 1/2 again what the thing is worth put back in it? That may make it run for a little while but will have problems consistently running. How about the clutch Problem? how about the gears in the head? I am sorry but the carborator is not the only issue.:dizzy:

Guzzo856
02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
t 242 is the only trimmers i run, they have been very reliable for me. The have held true from heavy commercial abuse. these things have taken sooooo many beatens and are still fine. the only thing i do is replace the air filter every once and a while.

K/B
02-11-2011, 10:08 AM
And then have 1/2 again what the thing is worth put back in it? That may make it run for a little while but will have problems consistently running. How about the clutch Problem? how about the gears in the head? I am sorry but the carborator is not the only issue.:dizzy:

Parts should run you more than $60. Let me know where you're getting them for $120, I want some too.

I have never had any other problems or have heard of any clutch or gearcase problems (more than any other trimmer).

John deer Z
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Parts should run you more than $60. Let me know where you're getting them for $120, I want some too.

I have never had any other problems or have heard of any clutch or gearcase problems (more than any other trimmer).

YOu can call Mayo's in knoxville tennessee (865) 691-1833. That is were I bought Trimmer. Ask for records on DP Lawn Service Trimmer 242 AND See for yourself!!

K/B
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
YOu can call Mayo's in knoxville tennessee (865) 691-1833. That is were I bought Trimmer. Ask for records on DP Lawn Service Trimmer 242 AND See for yourself!!

On how many trimmers? 1? What I mean is that there are no widespread reports of recurring issues with the clutch or gearcase. You will occasionally get a lemon from any brand, a fact which is MORE than evident right here on lawnsite.com.
There were problems early on with the main shaft & clutch drum stripping out, but an upgrade took care of that problem. Also problems with the choke lever, and that also has been taken care of. There are tons of T242's out there with no problems.

John deer Z
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM
On how many trimmers? 1? What I mean is that there are no widespread reports of recurring issues with the clutch or gearcase. You will occasionally get a lemon from any brand, a fact which is MORE than evident right here on lawnsite.com.
There were problems early on with the main shaft & clutch drum stripping out, but an upgrade took care of that problem. Also problems with the choke lever, and that also has been taken care of. There are tons of T242's out there with no problems.

Maybe took care of with a later fix the problem is when you keep having issues it is lost time on the job. Especially if it is a reoccurring problem like is evident with some issue's with this trimmer. I am not the only one to have a so called lemon in this trimmer

justanotherlawnguy
02-12-2011, 01:06 AM
It is the biggest POS I have ever used. Bought one 2 years ago, it worked great at first but a couple of months into using it, it started giving me a hard time. Had it serviced a couple of times with no good outcome. It became a monster to start, finally it got to a point one day when I was trying to beat a thunderstorm and it would have only taken me a few minutes to finish the job. Of course the POS trimmer would not start at all, after yanking it for 10 minutes I bashed it on the street while dodging lightning. The greatest feeling ever.
I hate equipment that doesnt do what it is supposed to. like start....

CBRmanimal
02-14-2011, 01:16 AM
The FS80 is a POS, I had one, Not sad at all that it was stolen, the cable drive shaft destroys this unit. I can't stand the vibration/reboud feedback it gives when you lay into something. Unfortunatly it has a great engine on it. I've been keeping my eye out for a FS85r but they are hard to find.

I took the carb completly apart and sprayed cleaner through it and it ran perfect after that (for now). It is a great trimmer when it is working.

John deer Z
02-14-2011, 08:10 AM
It is the biggest POS I have ever used. Bought one 2 years ago, it worked great at first but a couple of months into using it, it started giving me a hard time. Had it serviced a couple of times with no good outcome. It became a monster to start, finally it got to a point one day when I was trying to beat a thunderstorm and it would have only taken me a few minutes to finish the job. Of course the POS trimmer would not start at all, after yanking it for 10 minutes I bashed it on the street while dodging lightning. The greatest feeling ever.
I hate equipment that doesnt do what it is supposed to. like start....

According to some on here you just got a lemon!:laugh:

JEFF122
06-30-2011, 11:54 PM

your boss gives you twenty seconds to warm up your trimmer? wtf

orlawncaresvc
07-01-2011, 12:27 AM
We bought a 242 June of 2010. Problems with it from the get go. Took it back to the dealer maybe about a week later. They took it back into their shop and did something to it. Well it worked fine for about a week. Fortunatly we still had 2 old 231s, by the way, I sure wish they would of never stopped making the 231s. Those machines are the sh*t. Well after 6 years the 231s gave up and we were forced to take our 242 into repair. Took it in and got it fixed. Mechanic said it was a clogged exhaust port. Well it ran like a champ for about a month and a half then the same problem started again. We figured that it may have been a bad exhaust. So to fix the problem ourselves, we took the exhaust from one of our old 231s and put it on the 242. Guess what, problem solved. But we just purchased 2 new 242s. I guess they are the new updated ones. Haven't had any problems yet.

Alan0354
07-01-2011, 04:33 AM
your boss gives you twenty seconds to warm up your trimmer? wtf

Cold start!!

Alan0354
07-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Today have had to do some heavy weeding and I made a BIG mistake bringing only the M242. WHAT A GUTLESS SUPREME!! didn't manage to cut anything. It got loaded down so bad the string just rapped around the head. It's ok for touch up trimming grass, anything more, forget it. Have to go back another day with the big Honda!!!

My cheapy 25cc Troybilt 4 cycle really woop it's bud, run circle around it.

trimminaway
11-28-2013, 06:49 PM
The 242 has been a great machine for me, I love the speed feed head on the 242 and it only takes 3 pulls to start when cold (1 pull when hot), I have bought it to thick, wet grass and it did just fine. I use it to clear overgrown trails.