PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID help!

Fordsflylow
09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
I am in zone 6, southern IL. First two photos are closeups of the two plants in the third photo. Fourth photo the plant has already been trimmed back for the fall but has purple spike type flowers. Fifth is of a golden rod type plant. They would look much better had we not had 105 mph winds and wing-dinger type storms this past spring. Thanks for any help ID'ing these.

MarcSmith
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
#1 sedum
http://www.twofrog.com/images/sedum.jpg
#2 Oakleaf Hyndrangea
http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/wildflowers/images/oak_leaf_hydrangea.jpg
#3 Hypericum (maybe)
http://www.herbpharmacopia.com/images/h/hypericum-perf.jpg
#4 forsythia (I doubt it since most forsythia flowers before it sets leaves)

Fordsflylow
09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks much, appreciate the response. I think your choices for #1 and 2 are spot on, but #3 isn't hypercum and #4 isn't forsythia, I do know that.

Fordsflylow
09-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Here's a better pic of the fourth one w/flowers still on it and the fifth one again at different distance. Also adding a new one that I almost forgot about. Thanks again!!

MarcSmith
09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
#1 ^ not forsysthia, just noticed the date

#2 ^ May NIght Salvia

#3 ^ coreopsis

Fordsflylow
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
A big thanks man, preciate it! I'm thinking that first one is of the golden rod family!?!

Kate Butler
09-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Yep, one of the Solidagos - possibly one of the German hybrids that are currently making the rounds.

Not sure if it's 'Mai Nicht' or not,. but definitely a blue Salvia (sage).

Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam'.

Fordsflylow
10-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks to all who helped id the previous plants i posted. I have a few more that I'd like to id and thank all who help in advance.

Fordsflylow
10-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Would this be Sedum?

Fordsflylow
10-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Almost forgot one; grass type with berries of some sort.

gunsnroses
10-03-2009, 11:42 PM
liatris
sea oats
aster
the shrub one is tough...need more pics, blueberry, dogwood? It almost looks like spent flowers mixed in, no?

yes sedum
liriope

Fordsflylow
10-04-2009, 08:44 AM
liatris
sea oats
aster
the shrub one is tough...need more pics, blueberry, dogwood? It almost looks like spent flowers mixed in, no?

yes sedum
liriope

Here's two pics that I made larger of that plant which is around 3-4' tall. Nope no flowers just leaves turning and likely insect damage. I was thinking maybe nandina but on 2nd thought leaves are thicker.

Thanks

Fordsflylow
10-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Here is the pic of its location which may help, forefront is coreopsis, a myrtle, then aster, then this plant whatever it is. Only other photo I have!

Fordsflylow
10-04-2009, 09:24 AM
No offense but I don't think that's aster. This plant has very large leaves, leathery feel 4-5" long.

gunsnroses
10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
No offense but I don't think that's aster. This plant has very large leaves, leathery feel 4-5" long.

ok no offense taken..it is hard to tell..... That being said, Joe pye weed is my call, I was looking more at the seeds than the leaves. The shrub I am going to have to go with red twig dogwood. Look for the newest branches on the plant and see if they are a bright red color, If that is the case you need to thin out 1/3 oldest brances of the plant every year to keep the red twig looking good. Old branches are just a boring brownish gray color.

JNyz
10-04-2009, 03:23 PM

This one is Liriope

Fordsflylow
10-06-2009, 08:49 AM
ok no offense taken..it is hard to tell..... That being said, Joe pye weed is my call, I was looking more at the seeds than the leaves.

Great call, joe-pye weed it is. Thanks much!

ron mexico75
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
That one shrub that hasn't been id'd looks like an Itea of some sort.

You can see the dried flower heads around the leaves.

I have several Itea virginica 'Little Henry' and those leaves look very similar to mine around this time of year. If that shrub gets long white flowers in the early summer I bet it's an Itea.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/CarolynBF_1144994379_189.jpg

MarkintheGarden
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Here's two pics that I made larger of that plant which is around 3-4' tall. Nope no flowers just leaves turning and likely insect damage. I was thinking maybe nandina but on 2nd thought leaves are thicker.

Thanks

Yes, I can see the spent flowers and this is Itea Virginica.

ron mexico75
10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Man I'm good!:laugh:

This is the second plant ID question I've gotten right this week.:drinkup:

USI Lawns
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Is the yellow flowering plant in the first set of pics a butterfly bush. I've seen them yellow before.

Fordsflylow
10-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Yep, one of the Solidagos - possibly one of the German hybrids that are currently making the rounds.

According to Ms Butler it is a breed of Solidagos. Type of golden rod.

Fordsflylow
09-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Here are a few pics of some plants that I do not have a clue what they are.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

The first two are the same plant and the flower heads weight the plant down so much that it lays down. Never see it flower, just creates the cockleburr looking seed heads.

The last one is low-growing and has a minty smell. Flowers in spring.

lawnpro724
09-05-2010, 01:07 PM
To get the correct answers to your questions try doing some of your own research instead of having everyone else do it for you or start paying everyone to do your job. This website may help www.midwestlandscapeplants.org

PerfectEarth
09-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Minty smell.....eh?

How about MINT.

MarkintheGarden
09-05-2010, 02:11 PM
The first two photos are of Rattlesnake master, or Eryngium yuccifolium.

I cannot see the bottom photo well enough to be sure.

MarkintheGarden
09-05-2010, 02:13 PM
To get the correct answers to your questions try doing some of your own research instead of having everyone else do it for you or start paying everyone to do your job. This website may help www.midwestlandscapeplants.org

cool link!
I do not agree with your comment, I enjoy the challenge and learning involve in this kind of discussion.

lawnpro724
09-05-2010, 03:01 PM
cool link!
I do not agree with your comment, I enjoy the challenge and learning involve in this kind of discussion.

I can understand someone wanting answers for one or two plants if they cant find the answers themselves but to post pictures of several plants 5 or more for everyone else to figure out, to me is just being lazy.

alf500series
09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
the last pic is monarda didyma --bee balm usually red or pink flowers

MarkintheGarden
09-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I can understand someone wanting answers for one or two plants if they cant find the answers themselves but to post pictures of several plants 5 or more for everyone else to figure out, to me is just being lazy.

Yes, it is lazy, and I am also noticing that these are common plants, and that suggests that the op knows few plants if any, and has a lot to learn if he is willing to make the effort.

Fordsflylow
09-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the link, but it's not for flowers. I posted thinking someone may be familiar with these particular flowering plants and could just post what they are. As for paying someone to id a flowering plant!?! Get real!:laugh: If you didn't have the time, why waste it posting and whining?

Fordsflylow
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
No where near lazy here. I've searched high and low for those two and have come up notta. I appreciate the help, sorry it caused such a rucus.

Kate Butler
09-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Minty pic looks more like one of the oreganos than a true mint. Do you have a better picture??

MarkintheGarden
09-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Minty pic looks more like one of the oreganos than a true mint. Do you have a better picture??

Are they not too large of leaves for an oregano?
I also do not think that it is monarda either, as one poster suggested.
The leaves look as though it might be basil, but there are no flowers.
I am guessing that it may be a sad looking wiegela shrub?

Please post more photos, and include one that shows the stems and structure.

Ford, I have changed my mind again, I do not think you are lazy, it is just learning. And by the way, I do get paid to identify plants so learn them all and you can get paid for it also.

Fordsflylow
09-08-2010, 09:23 AM

I'll see if I can get a better pic today!

alf500series
09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
its not oregano or basil. oregano has rounded leaf ends-not points, basil is smooth and not hairy. willing to bet again that it is bee balm and probably not flowering because it is in the sun(just guessing by the pic) try and get a pic of the stems and i could tell you definitely if it is or not.

Kate Butler
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Is the stem square? Have you crushed a leaf and smelled it? Bee balm leaves are much bigger (even the dwarf hybrids).

Fordsflylow
09-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Been so busy, sorry it took me so long to post another pic. No I haven't looked at it extremely close. Here's a better pic - hopefully! Thanks Kate!

Kate Butler
09-14-2010, 08:46 AM
It does look to be one of the mints (a VERY large family). Are the stems square? What is the scent like when you crush a leaf?

Fordsflylow
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll check next time. Thanks for your time.

Johnny test
09-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes, Sedum and the grass is Loriope (monkey Grass) purple bloom

Oppps way late.

Fordsflylow
09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
It does look to be one of the mints (a VERY large family). Are the stems square? What is the scent like when you crush a leaf?

I got a chance to look at it yesterday. No square stem and the leaf when crushed doesn't give off a strong mint smell like I expected. Don't know how to describe it.

Thanks for your help either way!