PDA

View Full Version : What to charge for this job? Window wells with block.

meets1
09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Used versa lok block, pinned it together and stepped it back. Home owners wanted the block look but bought all the materail etc and found out it was more than they thought it was to install. So I get a call and did it.

Alot of extra digging and two windows took around 120 block and the other back yard window took around 200 block plus caps.

What do ya charge? I still had to get more block, fill material, more pins, glue etc.

Moneypit
09-14-2009, 11:51 PM
You did the job without giving them a price first? That usually ends up bad for the contractor.
Just charge them your hourly labor and whatever extra materials you had to buy. I would think comming up with a price should be easy since you are not guessing as to how long the job would take to complete since you already did it.

meets1
09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Friends of mine. 900K house. He wanted to do something since were landscaping already but after he started, we had to redo everything from ground up.

HOurly is what I was thinking as well.

PatriotLandscape
09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Value of the home is irrelevant never do work without a contract. It always seems to bite me in the butt when I let one slip through.

Charge time and materials.

meets1
09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Speaking of contracts - do they really hold up. Say you and owner agree on a 20K job - he backs out due to laid off work, health, or simply just doesn't want to have the work done. What do you do?

As far as contracts go - I have a few seasonal ones that are large cuz I also mow,spray, etc these places and I am talking 20 - 40 acres commercial sites but as far as others goes - I don't have a single contract with anyone.

Bru75
09-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Contracts help to make sure you and your customeer understand each other, if nothing else.
If somebody backs out before the work starts there is not much you can do. "Sorry Mr. Smith, I'm going to build your wall anyway" won't really work. Having a non-refundable down payment could help with this, or at least wording that the homeowner will have to pay for all expenses that you have incured to this point.
Besides, we are "contractors", contracts are what we do.

meets1
09-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Talking to my uncle who builds a few million dollar homes a year says he threw them out the window. Started with X - signed there. Then a change order, then add more, then take away - on and on. he said everytime a change was made - redo contract, wasn't working for him. He said sure he has had his fair share of people back out or scale down due to whatever reason - he has never charged for work that was there and no longer or scaled down projects b/c he still has work which at this time he is thankful. People may sign a work order saying yes go ahead but then backout cuz there changing there minds, ther current house is still on the market etc.

PaperCutter
09-16-2009, 11:03 AM
You seem hung up on using contracts to keep people from backing out- is this a problem for you?

meets1
09-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Not really but just don't see the benefit in my experience of having contracts. Maybe I work wrong or conduct business wrong??

PaperCutter
09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
The benefit is making sure that you and the customer enter the arrangement with the same expectations, you get paid in full, and neither side walks away feeling like they got less than they should have.

shovelracer
09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm still waiting to see what a 200 block window well looks like. Around here most have walkout doors so large wells for egress windows isnt common.

stuvecorp
09-17-2009, 12:31 AM
The Versa-Lok ones I've done have ranged $1900-2600 with materials. Most people have a mild stroke when they find out.

meets1
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Very few people actually have walk outs here. Lay of the land I guess. We do alot of windows like this put some people go cheap and go with a galvinezed ring of somesort that get achored to the basement wall.