PDA

View Full Version : Very first post, could be my last!

djmyers
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Hello All - I am planning on moving back to the Midwest this Spring and was looking into going solo in a mowing service. Since I will be renting when I get back I will need to store my mowing equipment that I do not have yet. Went online last night to search for U-Haul Storage and learned what I feared was true. They do have a policy of no flammables to be stored in their facilities. Needless to say that will have put the kabash to my plans....:cry:

Stillwater
09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello All - I am planning on moving back to the Midwest this Spring and was looking into going solo in a mowing service. Since I will be renting when I get back I will need to store my mowing equipment that I do not have yet. Went online last night to search for U-Haul Storage and learned what I feared was true. They do have a policy of no flammables to be stored in their facilities. Needless to say that will have put the kabash to my plans....:cry:

A cardboard box is flamable, I beleive that policy stands for filled gas cans and the like.... not winterized lawn equipment.

KGR landscapeing
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
A cardboard box is flamable, I beleive that policy stands for filled gas cans and the like.... not winterized lawn equipment.

I think he ment he cant store his equipment there when hes renting. While using that place like a shop

JABBERS
09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
There ate tons of places to rent out that you could store equipment.

djmyers
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
There ate tons of places to rent out that you could store equipment.

really? do you have examples because I could use some insight... Thanks!

AI Inc
09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey , its not ya last post , yippie !

djmyers
09-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey , its not ya last post , yippie !

Yes, :clapping:, the previous poster gave me a glimmer of hope. Now if someone could suggest other storage facilities that could be use other than U-Haul please let me know. Do I just look in the local paper when I get back there? Unless I hear otherwise I assume I would. When previous poster stated tons of options I am kind at a lost as to what he means?

AI Inc
09-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Look in the paper for commercial rentals and see if there is one saying " locked yard space"

Ric3077
09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Public Storage

AI Inc
09-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I keep my stuff on a peice of property alongside another landscaper . There are also about 4 rv,s that rent space to park too.

djmyers
09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you all for your helpful tips and suggestions. No doubt this will not my last thread...

Dave

AI Inc
09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Have you considered renting a house with a garage?

djmyers
09-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Have you considered renting a house with a garage?

Will eventually but from the get go I will have to control my expenses... From the start I will probably look for a used commercial 21" or a used commercial WB. Then buy a new commercial grade String Trimmer and BP Blower or hand held and we'll see what happens from there...

HOOLIE
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM

They all say 'no flammables' (or 'inflammables'?) It's not like they actually check that sort of thing. Never was an issue for me when I rented a storage space.

JeffW0011
09-14-2009, 11:32 PM
If you checked with one place and decided to call it quits maybe you need to rethink your commitment to this? Not being a smartass but trying to help you out. You are going to face a lot greater challenges than this on your road to success.

I work out of a U-Store-It and have a great relationship with the manager. We rent 2 10 x 30's which they recently let me modify to a 20 x 30. We also rent 4 outdoor slips that house 2 trucks, a spray truck and 2 trailers. That also serves as our parking during the day.

We don't store a ton of gas there generally just what is in the equipment and we have 3 five gallon cans and and couple smaller cans for gas/oil mixtures in various stages of fullness at any time. We also store herbicides and fertilizer there.

The management is very cool with us as we are running a business and we have special access times and other privilidges. Look around and you can find a place that will work with you.

What part of the midwest? I may have some used equipment you may be interested in.

super1
09-15-2009, 05:06 AM
this might be your best bet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gb9v4LI4o

jblatti13
09-15-2009, 05:33 AM
jeffw... what kind of equipment do you have? we just started out this year and i really dont have anything commercial yet, still looking around for used deals and such. PM me and let me know what you're gettin rid of.

as for the storage places, it depends on where your moving to. in my city alone, we have about 15. some are the uhaul and public storage, but the private guys are the ones that will most likely let you store your equipment. they dont really check whats going in or out, and like the other guy said, i have a code for mine i can access the place 24/7. just gotta look around when you move back here.

djmyers
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
If you checked with one place and decided to call it quits maybe you need to rethink your commitment to this? Not being a smartass but trying to help you out. You are going to face a lot greater challenges than this on your road to success.

I work out of a U-Store-It and have a great relationship with the manager. We rent 2 10 x 30's which they recently let me modify to a 20 x 30. We also rent 4 outdoor slips that house 2 trucks, a spray truck and 2 trailers. That also serves as our parking during the day.

We don't store a ton of gas there generally just what is in the equipment and we have 3 five gallon cans and and couple smaller cans for gas/oil mixtures in various stages of fullness at any time. We also store herbicides and fertilizer there.

The management is very cool with us as we are running a business and we have special access times and other privilidges. Look around and you can find a place that will work with you.

What part of the midwest? I may have some used equipment you may be interested in.

I do have thick skin and always have welcome constructive criticism. Thanks for giving me a different perspective. What you say about your storage experiences certainly does shed light on what I might expect and gives hope. I am returning to Central Illinois but will not make my move until Spring, late April. Thank you for telling me of your equipment that you may have to sell but you may look at the other fellow in this thread that has shown interest.

KS_Grasscutter
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I rent a storage unit and break almost every rule they have on a consistent basis. Usually have a truck sitting infront of my unit, even though I don't rent outdoor storage. They say (at my place) that it can't be used as a shop...haha nice thought I guess. Have been known to do donuts in the lot on my Grasshopper. The only thing the have complained about is the smell of rotting grass, to which i replied that there is nothing I can do about it, and about my stack of used tires sitting behind my storage unit that they made me put inside since it "looked tacky" (I don't see how, they were stacked up nice, not just a random pile, but whatever...)