PDA

View Full Version : Getting started (Already have nursery and Landscape co.)

Rivervalleylawns
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Ok Guys heres the deal. I already have a nursery and landscape co. here in oklahoma. Last year I did a few christmas light installs and they didnt really make me as much money as I thought I would. This year, Im not desperate and wont sell anything I cant make a decent profit on. First off, like my landscape co. I prefer commercial projects. What is the best way to approach these people. Also who is the best place to go through for christmas lights. It seems like some of you guys offer to rent them the lights, My problem is, I would like to see a return on this years christmas light season. Any ideas or hints would be awesome. Thanks guys. p.s. I would like to hear from David Gretzmier as you only live 50 miles or so away from me. Dont worry man, Im in poteau,ok I wont be going after anything anywhere close to you. (Not even FT. Smith) Thanks guys

hotrod1965
09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
1. Just because you rent, doesn't mean you don't get a return on your first year. Again, it's all about planning well. either way, you need to set your self up for long term success, not just this years success. Dave has lots of stories of guys that go out of business after a year or two..
2. There are a lot of ideas in these threads on where to get your stuff from. It will come down to what you want to sell. LED's, links, greenery...etc.

I would go talk to your past clients. You have already done good work for them in the past, so you are half way there because they already know you and trust you.

Don't forget to read these threads... there is a TON of good stuff here. It will always be good to get the perspective of other companies.

Ok Guys heres the deal. I already have a nursery and landscape co. here in oklahoma. Last year I did a few christmas light installs and they didnt really make me as much money as I thought I would. This year, Im not desperate and wont sell anything I cant make a decent profit on. First off, like my landscape co. I prefer commercial projects. What is the best way to approach these people. Also who is the best place to go through for christmas lights. It seems like some of you guys offer to rent them the lights, My problem is, I would like to see a return on this years christmas light season. Any ideas or hints would be awesome. Thanks guys. p.s. I would like to hear from David Gretzmier as you only live 50 miles or so away from me. Dont worry man, Im in poteau,ok I wont be going after anything anywhere close to you. (Not even FT. Smith) Thanks guys

David Gretzmier
09-18-2009, 02:26 AM
50 miles from me and you want all my secrets? unfortunately, they are already here. the best education you can get is reading the threads for about 8 hours from the past 3 years. I'd say that education is priceless. for the record, I don't service Fort Smith, so go after it. I stick to Washington and Benton Counties. Stay away from there or I will crush you like a twig.

ok, kidding... maybe not.

commercial work is hard to get, I've tried it all, and just making yourself available to them seems to work, drop off a nice color tent fold business card with every business your major streets. I get them at gotprint.com, 1000 is around 60 bucks. or have them print you a postcard you can drop off, a 4x6 is crazy cheap, 5000 for 100 bucks, and is just the right size to drop off and not scream "throw me away, I am a selling tool !". these typically get passed up to the guy who can hire you. The larger ones I use to mail to residences- 6x11 actually don't work as well when cold calling businesses. too big.

I agree with Hotrod your former clients can be a great source, I'd mail them the larger postcards with a personal note from you on the back. to be fair, though, I did this the first year and got very little response. I had better luck with postcarding strangers and yard signs . go figure.