PDA

View Full Version : New toy - JRCO dethatcher

dwost
09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Just scored a new JRCO dethatcher off eBay for $450 shipped. It's the 60" model and I'm quite excited about giving this shot in the fall. I have a stupid question. While I'm planning on using this mainly with my catcher, I'm also interested in using it while mowing to rake out the lawn. How much thatch does this actually pull up? Will I be able to discharge or use the mulch kit with it instead of the catcher and have decent results? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Runner
09-14-2009, 01:36 PM
It will be absolutely unnecessary to use it while you are just mowing. Where it really shines is in doing spring cleanups. It is great for lifting and raking the grass out, and lifting all the matted leaves out.
As far as how much thatch does it pull out, the actual answer is - none. It does pull alot of dead grass out though, if needed. The downside of course, is that it pulls alot of good grass out, too, but that is just the collateral damage. Having to do with this, this relates back to why I said you won't want to use it all the time for just mowing. By the end of the season, you wouldn't have hardly any grass left. lol
You're going to like this rake, though. Good luck with it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I run a 36" in the spring. My experience is as follows:

* It doesn't do hardly any damage to the green grass.

* It DOES pull some thatch up, but only in lines where the tine hits. It's more of a slight-thinning than a dethatching.

* Requires multiple (2-3) passes to really get decent results.

* Puts a lot of strain on a w/b.

dwost
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys. Runner, I may not have been clear but I'm not planning on running this all the time. Only once in awhile when I want to rake it out a bit. I was more interested in the amount of stuff it pulls out and if I would make a huge mess just discharging and mulching it. Sounds like it should work well for my needs. I'll keep you posted as to my results!

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys. Runner, I may not have been clear but I'm not planning on running this all the time. Only once in awhile when I want to rake it out a bit. I was more interested in the amount of stuff it pulls out and if I would make a huge mess just discharging and mulching it. Sounds like it should work well for my needs. I'll keep you posted as to my results!

It DOES make a mess - because so much of what you rake up is dead and lightweight - and, therefore, sits on top of the grass as you blow it out. Again, multiple passes might remedy the situation, but I just bag it up...

dwost
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Cool, will do and thanks again for the help!

mowerbrad
09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I have the 46" one that I got a couple years ago and use it only in the spring during clean-ups. It is nice to pull up matted down grass and leaves. It also does a little actual dethatching aswell, but not as much as a power rake. I use it every spring on most of my accounts to do a "dethatching". I will usually pick up between 12 and 16 bushels on an average 1/4 acre lot with one pass. If you want to pick up more thatch, then just go over it a second time, that usually gets most of the thatch up .

If you use this, you will need to collect the debris. Mulching or discharging will only make more of a mess. It gets really dusty though, so be sure to keep your air filter clean.

dwost
09-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks Brad.

dwost
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I gave this a run last night at our office and it worked great. Pulled out a bunch of dead stuff and some matted grass that happend weeks ago due to excessive moisture. I ended up just discharging since this is new turf and there is not too much thatch. it worked flawlessly. The doubles chewed up all the clippings and left a nice manicured look. I'm getting ready to overseed with some higher quality KB and this should help me prep the soil prior to the seed. Definitely a handy tool to have in the arsenal :)