PDA

View Full Version : What kind of weed is this?

mojo6911
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I am a homeowner and ripped out my old yard (weeds) and regraded with top soil from a local supplier and seeded Pennington Sahara Bermuda. The Bermuda is starting to fill in, but the top soil was contaminated with Nutsedge and this weed, which I haven't identified. It grows with a THICK root and spreads fast.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5229/img0191cg.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/i/img0191cg.jpg/)

I have mowed the grass 3x times now. When would it be appropriate to put some Sedgehammer down and some herbicide for this unknown weed?

Thanks.

RigglePLC
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I see spurge, maybe pigweed, maybe carpetweed. But I am from Michigan. Southern weeds are different. Remain calm. Many of these weeds cannot stand close mowing. Or Bermuda competition. The remainder probably cannot withstand those brutal Texas winters. Or worse Texas summers. Give it a few weeks to establish. Then follow the advice of a southern good old lawn boy.

mojo6911
09-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks! It is pigweed I am having problems with. Roundup wilts it, then it pops back up a day later. I have been trying to pick it before it gets big, but it gets out of control sometimes.

Joshuakwhit
09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Shoot, In Tenn. we call that lunch(pork salad).

Three- way kills it easily, I would think Gly should as well.

Turf Dawg
09-15-2009, 07:53 PM
How long ago was this seeded? As much bare ground as I see you are going to be fighting weeds for awhile. I see pig, spurge and at least one crabgass but no sedge. What I am trying to figure out is that the germinating Bermuda or a lot of early stage crabgrass. Yes some Weed B Gone should help with the broad leaf but all that bare dirt this time of year is going to be a killer for you. If this area is not too large you may think about some sod or at least over seeding with some perrinial rye or you will have a muddy mess this winter.

suzook
09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
That soil looks awfully dry for new seed/grass.

naughty62
09-16-2009, 07:12 AM
red root pig weed is on the round up resistance list . up here I run into pigweed that does not die from a app of round up .The pig weed will rapidly dwarf the new grass .fertilize,water and and good pair of gloves until the grass is mature enough to get a good lawn guy and his truck out to your house .mowing will help but that looks like it will be awhile till that happens .

mojo6911
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
This is an older pic. The grass has filled in quite a bit. I have mowed it about 5x with a reel mower and just need some suggestions on killing this stuff. I will get some pics later. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device