PDA

View Full Version : pea gravel as base....

turfquip
07-18-2000, 11:50 PM
<p>Is it adviseable? What are the pros/cons when using Miami Block?<p>Also, what about using 8&quot; cutwall on a pea gravel base - heights to 24&quot;......Any problems doing it this way?<p>Thanks,<p>Ed

Lanelle
07-19-2000, 12:20 AM
Pea gravel will not make a compactable base. To get a stable base, use a crushed stone that has a range of sizes from fine screenings to about 3/4&quot; stone. Compact this with a plate tamper.

FIREMAN
07-19-2000, 12:26 AM
Lanelle has given some very sound advice. Be sure to compact it thoroughly as the larger chunks seem to have a tendency to teeter a bit sometimes.

paul
07-19-2000, 01:37 AM
I agree Lanelle is right use a base made of good clean crushed gravel. This will reduce call backs and falling over walls. Pea gravel is like marbels the walls will just roll out of the base. yes pea gravel is cheap but the call backs will be alot more $ if used.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

Alan
07-20-2000, 03:49 PM
I've had good luck with 1&quot;- crushed stone under walls. There is enough variation in the granulation that it chinks well and doesn't settle but still lets water drain through. All I've ever worked with has been &quot;Rockwood&quot; blocks and I also fill them with the same stone, never had a wall shift. Another contractor fills his walls with 3/8&quot; crushed and his walls move some. Not good but that's his approach. Someday he's gonna tear one out on his nickel for using a stone that shovels easy but won't chink properly. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Alan